Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bugera 333 XL Infinium Tube setting

Hi there,

I'm getting a Bugera 333 XL Infinium this Sunday. Since the Infinium technology allows you to mix tubes (EL34'S, 6L6'S etc), I will replace the stock power tubes for 2 EL34 and 2 6L6. I play in a death/thrash metal band. Just wanted to know from you what you think would be a nice setting. I was considering this:

V1 - EL34
    V2 - 6L6
    V3 - EL34
    V4 - 6L6

Anu suggestions? thanks

Re: Bugera 333 XL Infinium Tube setting

You don't own the amp yet, how do you even know you will prefer it with a mix of power tube types let alone like it the way someone else may? When you have the amp and the tubes, it will be much better and easier to figure out what sounds best for yourself.

No offense intended by any of the above.

Comment

If you play death metal, I think that you will prefer 6L6's.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

I'd put one pair on the inside and one pair on the outside rather than staggering them like that, but that's just me. Technically your way should work.

Demanic is probably right, though. 6L6s or 6550s are probably more for that sound, but there's no rules when you're looking for your own tone.
        Nope...

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I was considering two of each because I have a Laney with EL34's which I like. But, as Demanic said, 6L6's are in theory more suitable for death metal. Thats why I was thinking about mixing them.

Comment

Originally posted by Darg1911 View Post
            You don't own the amp yet, how do you even know you will prefer it with a mix of power tube types let alone like it the way someone else may? When you have the amp and the tubes, it will be much better and easier to figure out what sounds best for yourself.

No offense intended by any of the above.
            Absolutely. Sure I will try and see whats best for me. Just asked for suggestions, perhaps someone has tried something cool for this matter

Comment

I've tried 6L6's & El34's (6L6's outside/El34's in the center) & they sounded great..tighter bass than with just the EL34's. However, I put the other two EL34's in again..because I liked the extra sag & sweetness in the mids they provided.
              "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
              If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

I once mixed 6L6'S with KT-77'S. It wasn't bad, but the extra crunch really wasn't necessary for the type of metal I was playing.
                As Phantasmagoria said, EL34'S add sag and sweetness. Not exactly qualities wanted in death metal tone. There you are looking for tight bottom and sizzly top. 6L6'S are much better at achieving this.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                  I once mixed 6L6'S with KT-77'S. It wasn't bad, but the extra crunch really wasn't necessary for the type of metal I was playing.
                  As Phantasmagoria said, EL34'S add sag and sweetness. Not exactly qualities wanted in death metal tone. There you are looking for tight bottom and sizzly top. 6L6'S are much better at achieving this.

That tightness is why I suggested 6550s as well. I'd have to double check but I believe the only regular octal tube these amps won't take are 6V6s that can't handle high B+.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
                  Nope...

Comment

Working...
                  X