Cab Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cab Advice

I am outfitting a 2x12 cabinet for my Marshall 2466 Vintage Modern. My question is I am looking at other options besides Celestion Speakers. Specifically I was curious about the Eminence Texas heat paired with a Swamp Thang.

Anyone have experience with Eminence and could provide some feedback (pun intended).

Re: Cab Advice

I have a pal who likes BOTH.... a lot.
    aka Chris Pile, formerly of Six String Fever

Comment

Thanks.... been doing research on youtube a lot

Comment

I think the main difference is that the Eminence speakers are way lighter, using ceramic magnets.
        JBGenthner

Comment

Celestions are ceramic. They have a few alnicos but they typically provide ceramic speakers to amp companies.
          Last edited by esandes; 02-13-2017, 01:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JBGenthner View Post
            I think the main difference is that the Eminence speakers are way lighter, using ceramic magnets.
            Lol, most Celestion guitar speakers have ceramic magnets.

OP, I have an Avatar cab with Swamp Thangs & Texas Heats, and a Splawn cab with Governors and Man O' Wars. I would describe the Avatar as tight, crisp, and at times sterile sounding. And the Splawn as more warm and definitely not sterile. So let me put it this way; between the two, I prefer the Splawn, but both cabs together is a glorious thing.
            Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

Swamp Thangs actually have a magnet that's heavier than any guitar speaker Celestion makes.

Comment

I'm laughing too, thinking from 50 years ago... I'll shut up now; sorry to muddy the waters.
                JBGenthner

Comment

The Vintage Moderns were paired with a specific G12M Greenback clone called the G12C. The closest Eminence would be the Private Jack. Those are 50 watts rms so they would work in a 2x12 for the 2466 head.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
                    Swamp Thangs actually have a magnet that's heavier than any guitar speaker Celestion makes.
                    Overkill as far as I'm concerned.

Comment

I think they will mix just fine. I would probably just prefer 2x Texas Heat.
                      IMHO.....the Swamp Thing can provide more bass response than most guitar players really have a need for.
                      But nothing that would be impossible to deal with i guess.
                      good luck either way
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY73mb28orM
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35mZ4BAvEbg
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nToonE52DG8
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMl-ddFbSF0

Comment

All this talk of Swamp Thangs and now I've got CCR's 'Suzy Q' stuck in my head.

Comment

wow now you all got me thinking on governor/man-o-war, swamp thang/texas heat, texas heat/texas heat or private jack/private jack.

back to youtube.

Comment

Originally posted by rcc2165 View Post
                            wow now you all got me thinking on governor/man-o-war, swamp thang/texas heat, texas heat/texas heat or private jack/private jack.

back to youtube.
                            You're welcome!
                            Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

Watching this thread too. Have a Avatar 2x12 im considering swapping the 75s out of for something else. Also have a Carvin 4x12 that I may change the British series speakers out of.. My Splawn cab stays as is..

Back to op's ?... I swapped the stock speaker out of my PV Classic 30 with a Private Jack. changed the sound ALOT.. The stock speaker when playing with any real volume, if I hit a big chord or something, it would make almost a thud before the notes would ring out. Now, I get immediate sound. It is darker sounding now tho..
                              Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Working...
                              X