Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cheap Amp vs Cheap Cab

Re: Cheap Amp vs Cheap Cab

I liked the Windsor/ENGL in the mix a lot better. Isolated, I didn't think the Behringer sounded too bad, but yeah, in the mix it just didn't work, IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by darthphineas View Post
      Posting before I hear which one's which, I like A better distorted, B better clean. Ramped up, the A has more hair to the tone, a fizzier distortion. B sounds rolled off and mid-heavy. Both are totally legitimate metal tones, but in the mix, A's tone was fuller, while B's retains that middy quality, feels like an island of "aww" in the frequency spectrum, mixed with the drums about as well as a whole raw apple mixes into an apple pie. In the "clean" tones, A just wouldn't clean up; if the player dug in just a little, it started driving. B's clean tone was truly clean, and it was beautiful.

Comment

Clip A sounded buzzier distorted and was a mess clean, but Clip B didn't have presence. They both kind of lose, but clip A bothered me more clean than clip B bothered me in the mix. I'm sure tweaking/rig differences could 'fix' either.
        Originally posted by King Buzzo
        I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

I loved B all the way through, although I thought that A sounded good in the mix as well.
          Guitars:
          Schecter E-1 FR S (Sustaniac/Apocalypse), LEF EXP (Mayhem Set), Schecter C-1 Classic (Jazz/Distortion), Squire Affinity Strat (Hotrails)

Amps:
          Peavey MX VTX, Bugera 333x Infinium

Pedals:
          AMT SS-11B

Comment

They're VERY different sounds, but I generally liked Clip B better.
            ---------------------------
            The most popular thread I've ever made was 1) a joke and 2) based around literally the most inane/mundane question I could think of. That says something about me, or all of you, or both.

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...or-for-a-Strat

Comment

I thought they both had very useable tones. One didn't sound better or worse, it's just what tone you like. Clip B definitely had the sizzle of a Rectifier while Clip A had more Marshally mids, so I wasn't really surprised at the reveal. I wish he would have put a clip at the end with both amps running in stereo as I think the tone would have been huge.

Comment

Yeah, I could work with either..

Frankly, cheap amp AND cheap cab has worked for me great as well

(Depends on the amp and cab..)
                "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
                If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Without giving too much away, I'll say this. Not being familiar with the sound of either amp it wouldn't have been as obvious which was which if they had only done the higher gain sounds.
                  "Time is an illusion. Lunchtime, doubly so." ~ Ford Prefect

Comment

By using a Berringer that he admits is shorted out and broken the video fails. I would like to hear this with a working Berringer cab.

Comment

I could tell which one was which before I saw the results, and B sounded bad alone but didn't sound as bad once it was in the mix. It kind of reminded me a little bit of Judas Priest's Sin After Sin (not their best recording quality) - but that makes it stand out as unique. It doesn't sound like every other metal guitar tone. A sounds good, but it's generic scooped metal tone. There was still high frequency breakup with amp A during the clean run, which kind of ruined that setup's clean tone. I'd be more interested in seeing what would happen if both setups were combined - one panned left, and the other panned right. I hear that each setup has something to offer that the other lacks (A lacks strong mids, B lacks high end), and I think they'd compliment each other.

Comment

Wow, busted cab be damned, I think clip B won flat out. Much smoother and more musical. Could've probably had a little more bite dialed in for the mix.

Comment

Working...
                        X