Friedman Dirty Shirley Mini VS Pink Taco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friedman Dirty Shirley Mini VS Pink Taco

Been eying the pink taco amp for a while but just noticed the dirty Shirley mini. Same exact price. I viewed some youtube comparisons and in one of them the breakup of the PT seemed a bit fizzier than the DS. It's so hard to tell on youtube though. Has anyone here tried both? Thoughts?
    Last edited by Open lane; 02-22-2017, 04:30 PM.

Re: Friedman Dirty Shirley Mini VS Pink Taco

Hold tight, Red Label seems to have about the most experience with the diff Friedman amps, so hopefully he will be along to answer you..
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Ok cool. I've been eying the PT for a while. I like the look of the PT more but with the clips i've heard, the DS also seems up my alley. If i were to go today without input from anyone else, i'd pull the trigger on the ds. Gonna be several months til i do, though, unfortunately.

Comment

Also might as well ask this too--- i'm considering getting a fender amp for cleans as well as a friedman. If i decide i want both, i can get both at the same time, because of the finance option. Do you think i'd get enough out of the fender for cleans that i should get both? Or do you think a friedman such as the DS mini or PT20 will cover both spectrums?

Comment

Personally, I'd hold out for a regular Dirty Shirley head and 212 cab. That amp is such a tone monster, I'd always feel like the mini was a waste of money.
          It'll have more headroom too, and with 2 6L6's, the cleans may eliminate your need for another amp.
          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I know a regular Dirty Shirley has amazing cleans with just the volume knob. So the smaller version might have that, too. I can't imagine you'd need another Fender along with that.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              I know a regular Dirty Shirley has amazing cleans with just the volume knob. So the smaller version might have that, too. I can't imagine you'd need another Fender along with that.
              Thanks, Fellas. I knew I'd get some good input if I posted around these parts. Yeah, based on the clips I've heard of they Shirley's cleans, I'm thinking that I will probably end up passing on the Princeton.

If I pass on the Princeton, a 40w dirty Shirley with 2x12 cab could be in play and in my budget.

Earlier this year, I purchased a jubilee mini amp and cab and I love it. This is the exact cab I have:

Would this cab work ok with a DS? If not, do you know of another 2x12 cab you'd recommend to go with this amp?

I notice you said the Dirty Shirley Mini looks like a waste of money. Fair enough, but I primarily play in a relative small room/ house. The experience I've had is that a smaller wattage amp on 8 sounds better than a higher wattage on two or three. What are your thoughts on this?

I usually don't gig out and playing with a drummer is rare. But if you still think getting the full size DS would be to my benefit, I'd certainly consider it.

Thoughts? THANKS GUYS!
              Last edited by Open lane; 02-22-2017, 04:31 PM.

Comment

It sounds as though the mini is made for you. I'd probably just get a 1x12 cab though. The DS with a 2x12 will certainly be a piece of furniture, and may be overkill for your needs (playing at home, with lower volume). If you can directly compare them, that might be better.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I'm thinking of getting the combo version of the big DS and experimenting with it plugged into my current 2x12 before deciding to pull the trigger on a sepperate 2x12 cab

Comment

I shouldn't say the mini DS would be a waste of money, especially if it's a home practice rig. It's just that the 40W sounds so great at all volumes that it's what I'd personally opt for.

I certainly don't need more amps, but if I ever see a DS head for the right price and finances allow, it's #1 on my wish list.
                    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Working...
                    X