Need a new speaker, but what ohm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a new speaker, but what ohm?

I have a 1989 Marshall Master Lead 30 on hand. It's a decent amp, sounds more on the retro side, but the speaker is muddy, and I need to replace it. It's a 4 ohm speaker, what ohm do I replace it with.

Re: Need a new speaker, but what ohm?

Btw , if someone is interested in buying it, PM me. It works fine and I don't know anyone who needs one, and I don't want to give it a pawn shop either.

Sent from my SCV33 using Tapatalk

Comment

Replace it with the same ohm speaker (4 ohm) for optimum efficiency. A lower ohm speaker can damage a ss amp; a higher ohm speaker will reduce the power output, but do no damage. Make sure the wattage handling capability of the speaker is around 1.5X the max. stated output of the amp. to minimize the risk of blowing the speaker.

Comment

Originally posted by IM4Tone View Post
        Replace it with the same ohm speaker (4 ohm) for optimum efficiency. A lower ohm speaker can damage a ss amp; a higher ohm speaker will reduce the power output, but do no damage. Make sure the wattage handling capability of the speaker is around 1.5X the max. stated output of the amp. to minimize the risk of blowing the speaker.
        Thanks IM4Tone, do they even make 4 ohm speakers? Most of them are always 8 or 16 ohm out here.

Comment

Yes....just one example of some....do google search.
          4 ohm bass speakers and guitar speakers by Eminence Speaker, Jensen Speaker, JBL, Peavey, P.Audio Speaker. 4 ohm bass speakers here.

Comment

Originally posted by IM4Tone View Post
            Yes....just one example of some....do google search.
            http://www.usspeaker.com/us%20speake...speakers-1.htm
            Thank you!

Comment

I would remove the bottom, take out the speaker, chop the cab under the logo, put the bottom back on and make a head out of it. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                I would remove the bottom, take out the speaker, chop the cab under the logo, put the bottom back on and make a head out of it. Just my 2 cents.
                [emoji5]

Comment

Working...
                X