banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Difference between Celestion G12M Greenback and G12 Vintage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference between Celestion G12M Greenback and G12 Vintage?

Hello,

Could someone here tell me if there is a dif between Celestion G12M Greenback and G12 Vintage speakers? If so, is it a big dif or subtle? Would one be considered better than another or just different? How so?

Re: Difference between Celestion G12M Greenback and G12 Vintage?

Here's an interesting article on the topic...

In this comprehensive guide, we explore a wide variety of Celestion speakers, delving into their individual and unique tonal characteristics.

Thankfully the membership here is very well versed in the Celestion offerings.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
      Here's an interesting article on the topic...

In this comprehensive guide, we explore a wide variety of Celestion speakers, delving into their individual and unique tonal characteristics.

Thankfully the membership here is very well versed in the Celestion offerings.

Thanks, man. is g12 vintage the same as vintage 30? Article seems pretty thorough but I don't see anything mentioned about the "g12 vintage" which sweetwater says is in my mini jubilee cab

Comment

Asking about sound? Or specs?

12Ms are 20 watt or 25 watt. Vintage 30s are 60 watt. Century Vintage is a different animal - neodymium magnet. I'm not sure which ones you are looking at. Greenbacks in general seem more even to me. V30 seem more mid-rangey, but less so than one of the old 80-watt 12ers.

Specs are online: http://celestion.com/category/4/Guit...12%22Diameter/

Comment

G12 Vintage is the Marshall spec V30. The original design from 85/86. Most people who own both the Marshall spec and the common V30 feel the Marshall spec is noticably better. Less harsh, a little less nasal. If you buy a marshall g12 vintage or any Marshall cab with UK made v30s you are getting that original spec speaker.

MESA also has a slight tweak on the design for their V30 loaded amps/cabs.

The g12m "greenback" is a completely different design with a completely different tonality.
          I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

I have 4x12 marshall cabs with both speakers. The G12M greenback is great for blues and rock. Think of Hendrix or AC/DC.

The celestion/marshall vintage speaker is exclusive to marshall only. It's different from the V30 versions in that it has more upper mids. Mesa have their own signature V30 which has more low mids. The vintage speaker has the heavy magnet and higher wattage. They can handle any volume or style of music well. Think Slash. It's a transparent speaker that never loses tightness.

I like both speakers for their own strengths but I'd pick the vintage for best overall.. But if

Comment

Thanks, guys!!

Comment

I have both the Marshall and the Mesa versions. I would describe the Marshall version as having more creamy upper mids. The Mesa version is thicker sounding but not as bright. These differences are very subtle though.

There are about 5 versions of the Vintage 30, not counting 8 ohm or 16 ohm variants:

The Marshall Vintage G12, made in the UK. (originally designed as a less expensive alnico alternative)

The standard Vintage 30 now made in China.

The Mesa version Vintage 30 made in the UK. Has a different part number now, but it had during the 90s the same part number that the standard had during the 90s.

The Mode 4 version which has more low end. (don't know if it was made in UK or China)

The standard version made in the UK during the 90s.

Comment

All of these variations seem to make things pretty confusing.

Comment

they do but all the v30 models sound fairly similar. you wouldnt mistake any of them for a different celestion speaker

Comment

Originally posted by Open lane View Post
                      All of these variations seem to make things pretty confusing.
                      No kidding. Even for gear nerds. They are all based on knockoffs of the exclusive marshall version. Upper mids are crucial to cut through the mix perfectly.

Comment

The also sound different as you break them in, and switching them to different cabinets, as well as open vs closed back. (Better in closed back, IMO)

Comment

Oh, there's more variations!

There's the Relic 30's (which I think are related to the Mode Four Vintage 30's), there's the speakers on the Dave Mustaine signature cab, and there's the BadCat speakers too!

Comment

Working...
                          X