The 2017 2x12 challenge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 2017 2x12 challenge

After almost 10 years in Limbo I finally began itching for playing in a band again last year. At the moment I am doing my PhD abroad, but once I get back to Norway, USSR next year I was hoping to finish a new rig of mine, which has some rather… peculiar amp challenges.

The rig will be a rack rig, although I may augment it with a very special amp if money allows for it later. I still have a pair of ADA MP-1s, and will be basing my rig around that and a Marshall 9040 power amp. Yes, it IS solid state, but for this style I don't think it matters too much (after some tweaking I think I can get a good sound of it), and in a live setting I actually prefer it for reliability and size.

It is, however, creating something of a bottleneck in my plans. I was planning to run a stereo set-up, and the power amp is rated 200x2 watts. Of course, it is fair to say in general that a solid state power amp will not be NEARLY as loud as a tube power amp, so even at 400w it should be able to get a decent sound out of it for smaller venues (solid state is an advantage here, of course). It does, however, mean that the speakers should be able to stand up to some heavy wattage without succumbing to pressure.

I have a 4x12 (an early Metropolous cabinet) with Greenbacks, which sounds great in a more conventional rig, but which fails both in terms of size and wattage here. In the future I was looking to replace it with two 2x12s. I was basically wondering if you have any suggestions for speakers around 100w (they can be a little lower, but not too much), that would work in a heavy rock context. This rig is obviously more 80s (late-80s even) than 70s, but is still very much a take on the obnoxiously hyper-charged Marshall, that is bound to conjure groans of disapproval and exasperation .from any right-thinking guitarist. Do you have any recommendations, both in terms of cabinets and speakers? I really like the Greenback sound, as it gives what could otherwise be a very sterile, modern sounding rig something of a vintage edge. If something like that could be approximated at this wattage that would be excellent.

Finally there is yet another potentially complicating factor. If my career progress and the currency rates allow it I might be getting a smaller head for pure tones and slave the rack for effects only. In such a case, would it be possible for one of the cabinets to be run by a smaller tube amp, say 25-50w, and still have it pushed properly? I also have a Marshall 9100 power amp that contains two 50w 2xEL34 power amps that I might change to should the difference prove to be too great, and naturally I would hope that the cabinets would work with it as well.

(Sorry about the naïvety of the questions. I have never really had the chance to experiment much with cabs.)

Re: The 2017 2x12 challenge

have you checked out the Celestion g12 h75 creambacks? I looked at them but I have not played on any yet. I have only heard clips on YouTube which is notoriously compressed but what I have heard I liked so far. They are only 75 watts though

Comment

Eminence Swamp Thang Patriot Series 12" 150-Watt

Comment

I would suggest Celestion Redbacks. I am getting a pair myself for a 2x12. They are voiced like classic Celestions but are 150 watts per speaker. They come in 8 and 16 ohm. I will write a review after I get mine.

Celestion G12H-150 Redback - Rated at a gargantuan 150W, this guitar speaker has a supersized 2-inch voice coil and features the heaviest G12 magnet.

Last edited by Securb; 02-24-2017, 11:13 AM.

Comment

The Marshall 9040 is 200W per side @ 4 ohms, but it'll only be 100W @ 8 ohms, and 50W/side @ 16. For speakers, I would go with a pair of 8-ohm Eminence Private Jacks in each cab, wired in series. That'll give you a 16-ohm load capable of handling up to 100W which should be plenty for either power amp. Tone-wise they're very similar to greenbacks, but tighter and more clear which will help any effects you use to be much more audible. You could absolutely use the cabinet with even a 15W lunch box amp and have it sound great.
          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
          And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

I've a Harley Benton 2x12 loaded with Eminence Lil Texas. They've tiny neo mags, so the whole thing is nice n' light compared to normal
            My mum says I'm speshal...

Comment

I can think of a bunch of awesome speakers that will do the job...BUT....i dunno about shelling out bucks for two 2x12 cabs, and 4 new speakers with a 2x200 watt rig. Do you really need all that for gigs?
              I reckon the best way to get max bang for buck and still get all the gnarly hair metal tones you want would be to get a hold of the cheapest 50 (or 100)w marshall head you can find...jcm900. DSL, TSL etc and run your ADAs straight into the fx return. Keep your old quad.
              The upside of this concept is that you have not blown a lot of cash on two new cabs and four new speakers, plus if this experiment does not work out, you can probably sell the head for whatever you paid for it and at worst you are back to where you are now. Mono also has a lot of advantages over stereo for nearly all live applications. Stereo is easy to do in the studio because you can run all your stereo effects "in the box" and have nice flexibility over spread, panning, chorus, delays etc that will fit the mix perfectly due to endless tweak ability of doing it that way.
              I'll wager it sounds pretty damn good too
              Last edited by Chickenwings; 02-27-2017, 08:18 PM.
              "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
              Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
                The Marshall 9040 is 200W per side @ 4 ohms, but it'll only be 100W @ 8 ohms, and 50W/side @ 16.
                Okay, I'm officially an idiot: I didn't even think about this! This opens for a lot of other possibilities.

Comment

Thanks for all suggestions so far, though! Keep 'em coming!

Comment

80s/late '80s tone? Vintage 30s.
                    Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

I am also looking at these 150 watt Eminence Wheelhouse speakers. All I have read about them says they are very natural which is perfect for me. I want the tone to come from the guitar and the amp. Decisions, decisions.

Eminence Speaker is America's premier manufacturer of guitar speakers, bass speakers, and professional audio loudspeakers since 1966.

Comment

Working...
                      X