"That amp is tube - I can tell, it cuts through!"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: "That amp is tube - I can tell, it cuts through!"

Zebras just don't have that vintage PARP vibe huh?
    My mum says I'm speshal...

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
      Hippo farts have the most insane low end.
      Yeah, but they aren't all that tight and get a little tubby.

Comment

Everyone is an expert and punters always come up with the most irrelevant/boring/wrong/misguided/annoying/drunk etc statements and unasked for advice.
        The best way i have found to deal with anyone after a gig is to smile, say gday, thank them for coming, shake their hand, tell them you are glad they liked the music, tell them you hope to see them again at the next one. Most people are cool and just want to say hi. If they are know it alls and offer all kinds of irrelevant info, act interested for as long as it takes for them to feel good, thank them for the advice, tell them you'll keep it in mind and that you need to help the drummer pack up their kit now (or whatever comes to mind). Thank them for coming once again.
        Last edited by Chickenwings; 02-27-2017, 08:25 PM.
        "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
        Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
          Everyone is an expert and punters always come up with the most irrelevant/boring/wrong/misguided/annoying/drunk etc statements and unasked for advice.
          The best way i have found to deal with anyone after a gig is to smile..................etc
          Quoted for truth.

Just let me pack up or maybe I'll come to where you work and Friday at 5 PM stumble in drunk and have a real gab session.

Comment

I've never had this happen. Probably because I show up with tube amps and chops.
            Originally posted by Boogie Bill
            I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Hey - I was smoking hot the first set. By the second set I was wore out. we made some PA adjustments then, and unfortunately a lot didn't get to hear the first set amaze balls playing!

That said we are learning to use the PA better each gig...
              Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I've been complimented on my live tone from a Digitech unit run straight to the PA. I chalk it up to that I know how to use my gear.
                The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                  By the second set I was wore out. we made some PA adjustments then, and unfortunately a lot didn't get to hear the first set amaze balls playing!

That said we are learning to use the PA better each gig...
                  Be careful, adjusting a PA after your ears are shot can make it sound worse alot of the time!
                  TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

I had some guys in my practice space years ago ask me if I got a new Marshall. I did get a new amp but their jaws dropped when I told them it was a JC 120. Of course they werre digging the tone until they found out it was solid state.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                      I had some guys in my practice space years ago ask me if I got a new Marshall. I did get a new amp but their jaws dropped when I told them it was a JC 120. Of course they werre digging the tone until they found out it was solid state.
                      A JC120 is a pretty awesome amp imho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah, JC120 is pretty legendary.
                        --------------------------------------------------------
                        1973 Aria 551
                        1984 Larrivee RS-4 w/ EMG SA/SA/89
                        1989 Charvel 750 XL w/ DMZ Tone Zone & Air Norton
                        1990's noname crap-o-caster plywood P/J Bass
                        1991 Heartfield Elan III w/ DMZ mystery pups
                        1995 Aria Pro II TA-65
                        2001 Gibson Les Paul Gothic w/ PG-1 & SH-8

Comment

I think it depends on the processor more then how it works. For example I can often hear people using BOSS GT8 and similar because it has this kind of boss processed thing going on like the dynamics are super contained like the guitar is inside a tube or something and usually it can be loud but have little impact compared to a nice cleanish tube amp with a boost. That said Ive heard Mesa Rectifiers sound a bit like that esepcially when they cant turn up the master volume or have scooped the mids. So its partially gear partially users (easier to mess up a tone with heaps of effects and parameter then a good tube amp with volume and tone controls...). But a loud amp (either tube, SS or hybrid) generally has that punch.
                          Gondola Kid
                          Bandcamp
                          Facebook
                          JimijaymesGuitarist
                          Youtube

Comment

"It's all in the fingers man!"

Comment

Originally posted by James Rock View Post
                              I think it depends on the processor more then how it works. For example I can often hear people using BOSS GT8 and similar because it has this kind of boss processed thing going on like the dynamics are super contained like the guitar is inside a tube or something and usually it can be loud but have little impact compared to a nice cleanish tube amp with a boost. That said Ive heard Mesa Rectifiers sound a bit like that esepcially when they cant turn up the master volume or have scooped the mids. So its partially gear partially users (easier to mess up a tone with heaps of effects and parameter then a good tube amp with volume and tone controls...). But a loud amp (either tube, SS or hybrid) generally has that punch.
                              Little do they know, the mid knob on the dual rectifier provides it's boldness, growl, attack and edge. Less mids will soften up the sound which might be preferable for leads, but it will take away the harder attack you would want for hard rock and metal rhythm guitar. You can pretty much max that knob out or close to, you hit a big chord and it sounds absolutely massive. The 3 band on a dual rectifier isn't quite the same as other 3 band eqs on most amps. They affect each other directly. You could have the treble on zero yet still have plenty of treble in the sound.

Point is, yeah. Don't scoop your damn rectifier, it doesn't sound good!
                              The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Beer$ View Post
                                Point is, yeah. Don't scoop your damn rectifier, it doesn't sound good!

I thought Metallica had the smiley face EQ (scooped) on their Dual Rectifiers ? I scoop the mids totally out of my 6505.
                                "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Working...
                                X