Vox vtx vs blackstar ID tvp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vox vtx vs blackstar ID tvp?

I'm in the market for a digital amp. I prefer tube but right now it's out of the question. Who has had experience with either or both? I got to try the vox vt100x and it sounded pretty decent. The orange, bogner and evh models sounded the best to me. But I have heard a lot of good about blackstar. But no where around here carries any for me to try in person.
    What is people's thought on both amps?

Re: Vox vtx vs blackstar ID tvp?

I was gonna get the vtx but in one (proper) review on YouTube I could hear the speaker crapping out and distorting in a transitory kinda way, so I scratched it of my list, then it was either down to black star or the boss katana. I went with the katana, boss effects plus waza amp models and acoustic mode as well. Not to mention loud as f#@k . Responds Ver well to touch and guitar volume changes. Just my two cents.

Sent from my SCV33 using Tapatalk

Comment

I played the Vox in GC sometime back
      I liked it but I'm a fender clean type of guy

Playing a Tele through it was convincing for me

But I imagine if you have it cranked and distorted it may behave different
      EHD
      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I haven't looked into the boss amps. I will check them out. The vox has some nice clean tones. I managed to get a lot of sounds out of it. The mid to high gain sounds seemed to be where it sounded more sterile. I'm just trying to find a modeler that I don't have to use an app to edit or hook up to my pc. That's the one drawback I found to the vox. You don't have access to the bonged, evh and a few marshalls. Unless you do that.

Comment

Well, I have the smalller versions.

I have a ID core 10,and a VT20x.

The blackstar has a weird strangled attack when you hit the strings..its a fun amp though. Its immediately usable and easy to dial in. It still prefers higher gain settings on the knobs..the effects are a pita to adjust..the controls are not very precise/granular. The software is a must. On the plus side, it takes pedals well in front, and thats what I do. Still, I really don't like Blackstar's voicings. All the crunch/gain channels sound like they are filtered with a wah pedal. The speakers cannot take more than 1/2 way on the volume dial before they start sounding horrendous.

The VT20x is new to me, but is my 6th or 7th Valvetronix. They are much warmer, and feel more like a tube amp under the fingers. They don't respond as ""digitally" as most inexpensive modellers but there is some digital squish at times. They take a bit of tweaking, but there is an element of "this thing sort of reacts and feels like a big cranked tube amp, but in miniature". They take pedals very well too, but the onboard effects are easier to dial and I think they are better than the Blackstar tonally. Probably because they are modelled after real effect boxes. But the interface on the Vox is a pita. You will need the manual alot so you can figure out all the parameters and which knobs they are assigned too. They respond well to tube changes too..

The big issue for me with the Valvetronix has been longevity/reliability. I've had 3 of them die on me within 2 years of purchase. They just start acting weird...effects turning off an on by themselves, models farting out, etc. Factory resets never helped. I think they are just cheaply made and things get too hot and burn up. Sadly, my new Vt20x has a massive problem with noise/buzzing to the point where I have to crank the reverb just to hear it over the buzzing. After going through the motions of trying to diagnose and sending them a soundclip of how drastic the buzzing is compared to my DSL at half volume, Sweetwater service department is going to send me a replacement. We shall see. Sucks because the speaker was finally breaking in and amp was not nearly as harsh out the box.
          Last edited by JeffB; 03-02-2017, 07:38 PM.
          I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

That sucks the one I tried seemed to sound pretty decent. The app did seem a little crowded. I saw the vox VA series on sweet waters site. From some of the YouTube vids I saw it sounds pretty good and is a lot more simple to operate. I also looked at the dsl 40 with creamback. But I don't know how it would work out for me I need a good clean channel.

Comment

They do sound decent. I always come back to Valvetronix with modelers. They are the more like a "real" tube amp in feel, and warmth. They are still a far cry from thr real deals, but for a cheap amp, I like em.

ErikH has one of the new AV (all analog pre/power amp circuit-digital effects) series and loves it. He's been gigging with the Vox modellers for years. Might shoot him a PM. He doesn't get on the forums much these days.

I have a DSL40c. You will have great clean sound but you have to forego the crunch mode or like me use crunch mode and your volume controls for cleans..with the c19 mod, you can mimic the green crunch mode on red 1 modeb(and do much more), and keep the green channel completely on the clean mode.
              I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Originally posted by man-in-moon View Post
                I'm in the market for a digital amp. I prefer tube but right now it's out of the question. Who has had experience with either or both? I got to try the vox vt100x and it sounded pretty decent. The orange, bogner and evh models sounded the best to me. But I have heard a lot of good about blackstar. But no where around here carries any for me to try in person.
                What is people's thought on both amps?
                Go Orange
                If learning isn't difficult at times you're not learning.

RocknRoll will never die ( I wont let it! )

Comment

Working...
                X