Finding your own sound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finding your own sound

Now that I have been playing a few yrs now, I am still looking for the sound that appeals to my hearing. I have had 4 amps working on my 5th. I will be keeping the Vox Rhythm 5 for sure now looking at selling off my Vox AC4C1 Not in the market for anything large just a solid practice amp. Something to just crank up at my buddies place. I believe I have finally found the one I'm looking for, wont know for sure till I find one to try out. Saw the demos from Sweetwater and others really liked the sound the Strat produced from the Orange 20RT. I was impressed also with the punch it packed from the World 8 inch speaker. I will wait to try one out before I make my final decision, I have noticed reviews are very very good. Time will tell if its the one for me if it sounds as good as the demos, I will have finally found the sounds I'm looking for.
    If learning isn't difficult at times you're not learning.

RocknRoll will never die ( I wont let it! )

Re: Finding your own sound

Personally, I never liked the Crush series when I used to work at the store. A big part of that might have been I've never liked the sound of a guitar amp that had <10" Speaker in it. Just my 0.02
    TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

funny thing is, for all the amps I've had and stuff I've bought and sold, the best recorded tones I get are through a free amp sim.

Comment

Check out a Fender Mustang III.

You'll get 100 watts and channels that you can program for "your own sound" (assuming you know what "your own sound" is ), you won't need a single pedal (they're all in the amp) and you'll get great sound from a nice Celestion 12" speaker.

Far more amp for the money than any amp the OP listed.

About $330.
        “Practice cures most tone issues” - John Suhr

Comment

Well there is lots to consider when buying an amp. What is it going to be used for Practice , gigging, recording, Etc . I am sure you get my point. As I mentioned I will be using it for practice mostly. Why would I want a 100 watt amp for? I would be able to get the sound I am looking for out of a 20 watt and still have more than enough punch for what I need. As far as someone not liking Orange products well to each their own . I know many individuals who are very happy with Orange amps. My own personal opinion is Marshall amps don't do anything for me. Yet their are many that do. It all comes down to preference and the application in which its intended.
          If learning isn't difficult at times you're not learning.

RocknRoll will never die ( I wont let it! )

Comment

Line 6 Spider IV vs. Marshall Valvestate

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Comment

It never ends.
              Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

I think, small amps in general, are good at producing one or 2 tones. A modeling amp, like a Mustang etc will have many more parameters to tweak so you have a better chance of finding 'your' sound after a bit of tweaking. Most companies' small amps are just designed to get a few generic sounds- usually the popular guitar sounds of the era it was produced.
                Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Comment

All the modelers I've used have been annoying because, while you can search "your tone" easily, you never get exactly there. There's always something missing.

Though it might just be my brain saying "this is digital"...

However, the World 8" speaker isn't that good what I've heard. People don't seem to like too much about small Crush-series tone, and since PPC108 cabinets I bought we're laden with Eminence pro audio (sounds fantastic BTW...), because previous owner thought originals sounded "farting" with micro terror, I bet it has something to do with those speakers.
                    "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                    Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Originally posted by Godin15 View Post
                      Now that I have been playing a few yrs now, I am still looking for the sound that appeals to my hearing. I have had 4 amps working on my 5th. I will be keeping the Vox Rhythm 5 for sure now looking at selling off my Vox AC4C1 Not in the market for anything large just a solid practice amp. Something to just crank up at my buddies place. I believe I have finally found the one I'm looking for, wont know for sure till I find one to try out. Saw the demos from Sweetwater and others really liked the sound the Strat produced from the Orange 20RT. I was impressed also with the punch it packed from the World 8 inch speaker. I will wait to try one out before I make my final decision, I have noticed reviews are very very good. Time will tell if its the one for me if it sounds as good as the demos, I will have finally found the sounds I'm looking for.
                      the tone search never ends my friend.

anyways, i don't mean to sound rough but i would recommend a good 12" speaker combo if you're intent on a combo. i've owned a few 8", 10" and 12" combos and there's a reason why the pros use 12" for guitars, they just sound better. tube amps rule. the peavey classic line is fantastic. also consider the marshall dsl combo.

Comment

Last edited by EAProwlerB; 03-06-2017, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by esandes View Post
                          anyways, i don't mean to sound rough but i would recommend a good 12" speaker combo if you're intent on a combo. i've owned a few 8", 10" and 12" combos and there's a reason why the pros use 12" for guitars, they just sound better. tube amps rule. the peavey classic line is fantastic. also consider the marshall dsl combo.
                          This is not true. There's much more choice with great sounding 12" drivers, because people think like this, and are willing to pay more for them. There still are plenty of great sounding smaller drivers out there too (like those Eminences I mentioned earlier), you just have too be more careful picking them, as they are usually made to cut costs rather than to sound good.
                          "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                          Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

I can never get 'my sound' with anything but 12" speakers. However, I always got a pretty good approximation of it with a practice amp at bedroom levels. It isn't perfect, but it will do. With any modeling amp, it is really easy.
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Jacew View Post
                              This is not true. There's much more choice with great sounding 12" drivers, because people think like this, and are willing to pay more for them. There still are plenty of great sounding smaller drivers out there too (like those Eminences I mentioned earlier), you just have too be more careful picking them, as they are usually made to cut costs rather than to sound good.
                              what speakers and amps have you tried? have you tried closed or vented cabinets? i heard some online comparisons between celestion and eminance speakers-all 12", and the celestions are clearly better as well.

there will always be the minority who claim that playing through a string of yarn from the guitar jack to a empty soup can sounds great too. for that, to each their own. i'm just talking from personal experience and facts. perhaps the professionals are all wrong and should be using smaller speakers from johnny-come-lately "guitar" speaker makers.

Comment

Working...
                              X