banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pedal that will make a british voiced amp sound american?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pedal that will make a british voiced amp sound american?

Does such a thing even exist?
    I'm looking for a good quality (overdrive?) pedal that will give me different tonal options than the usual Tube-screamer type of circuits. There are so many pedals out there, I don't even know where to start looking.
    I have only one rule: no added noise to the circuit so I prefer something that does not hiss (too much) when switched on and also true bypass. Ok, thats 2 rules lol :

Re: Pedal that will make a british voiced amp sound american?

What amp? Are you looking for the clean or driven American amp tone? A lot of the tone we think of as "American" is the scooped Blackface tone. An EQ in the loop can sometimes give you enough of the flavor to do. If you are looking for the more driven tones, check out the Wampler Black 65 and Tweed 57.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Yup, I was thinking EQ as well.

If by Brit you mean Marshall, then it's about scooping mids, with a lean towards scooping the lower mids.

If it's a Vox AC circuit, then it's a little more complex, in that the Vox is scooped already, but the scoop is at a slightly higher frequency, so you need to lift that while cutting the lower mids.

There's a brilliant Tone Stack Calculator (visualizer) at

tone,stack,calculator,fender,vox,marshall,baxandall,software,download,simulation

That will show you the curves nicely.

Final thought, trust your ears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Set the amp for clean and somewhat flat, basically using it as a P.A., then put a SansAmp PSA-1 or equivalent in front of it.

Comment

I was gonna say Wampler Black 65 as well. It's a really nice sounding pedal, except for the fact that it has a certain "sag" to it that I just couldn't deal with.

Comment

There's more to an amp voicing than the B/M/T EQ, but, yeah, if you want to scoop mids, the Boss OD-1X may be a good candidate. Its default settings at 12 noon yield a scooped sound.

You also may want to try the Fender amp-flavored pedals from Boss into the clean channel of your British amp.

Comment

The Radial Tonebone Classic gives you an "American-voiced" overdrive. Conversely, the Hot British into a Fender BF amp gives it a very Marshall tonality.

Bill
              When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Nobels ODR1/Visual Sound Open Road/Boss OD3

While not true bypass these sound good/great. Get a switcher/true bypass looper thing so you don't miss out some great sounding stuff that isn't true bypass, like e.g. klon!

Comment

Are old silverface Fenders hard to get where you live? I'd just buy a Twin or Bassman and be done with it.
                  green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

I don't know what you mean by "American" amp. As others have stated, Mesa makes a lot of pedals. Boss also makes an '63 and '65 Fender pedal. When using it, you would have to set your amp very neutral. With some amps, there is no way in hell they would ever sound like a classic Fender. That Fender glassiness is easy to dial out but not that easy to dial in. It really depends on which "Brittish" amp you are using. The DSL series has what they call "Nashville Clean" so that would be a good platfom for a Fender Pedal. If the "American" tone you are looking for is Peavey I don't know how to help you.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions guys!
                      I have ordered a Harley Benton California Truetone pedal. It's so cheap that it wont matter if it doesn't work out. Perhaps that the Sansamp is better but I refuse to pay over 200 for a freakin' pedal. The Wampler black 65 sounds really good from what I have seen but its not for sale anymore? I'll check out the tone stack calculator too, might be a good tool for getting a visual of tones that I like.

Comment

I think the Harley Benton and Joyo are the same pedals
                        I have the American and British versions from Joyo

these can be run straight into a PA or into the FX return on your amp
                        EHD
                        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Just keep in mind terms like "American" are marketing terms not technical terms. Nashville, California, Brittish, Plaid are all terms used by manufacturers to let us know they are trying to lift a competitor's tone while staying out of court. Those descriptors can mean totally different terms to different manufacturers. We are lead to think "American" means Fender and "California" refers to Mesa Boogie. However, Fenders were manufactured in California long before Mesa Boogie existed. As long as you are not putting a product on the market, I would stick to brand names as descriptors when talking with other musicians. You will be more likely to get the correct answer you are looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by Nightburst View Post
                            Thanks for the suggestions guys!
                            I have ordered a Harley Benton California Truetone pedal. It's so cheap that it wont matter if it doesn't work out. Perhaps that the Sansamp is better but I refuse to pay over 200 for a freakin' pedal. The Wampler black 65 sounds really good from what I have seen but its not for sale anymore? I'll check out the tone stack calculator too, might be a good tool for getting a visual of tones that I like.
                            The Harley Benton's are JOYO's and they sound great...BUT, you're not going to like the hiss that all of this series (which are clones of the Tech 21 series) have. I run a noise gate with them which helps considerably. A cheap gate that does the job for me is the Behringer NR300. It's made of plastic so it can't be abused, but I've had no problem with it since I have it on a pedal board with the JOYO amp emulation pedals and it is always "on" and doesn't get stomped very often.

Comment

Originally posted by Nightburst View Post
                              Does such a thing even exist?
                              sadly no.
                              "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                              Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Working...
                              X