Two preamps in the same power amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two preamps in the same power amp

Quite simply: If one has a amplifier head and a pre-amp, would it be possible to split the guitar signal before the pre-amps and join them together so that they go into the head's power amp together? I might be interested in trying to combine clean and distorted tones in this way, and was merely wondering if there might be any problems associated with such a set-up.

Re: Two preamps in the same power amp

Well you need a parallel mixer for line level signal...nothing hard in that
    But I think that you will dislike the sound....
    There are better results in using two different amps instead.

Comment

Technically that's how Fender amps from the '60s on (and even non master volume Marshall and the Tweed Fenders they were based on, to an extent) amps work. There are two separate preamps. If you look at, say, a Fender Twin Reverb schematic there's the Normal channel and the Vibrato channel. At the end of them there's a resistor (called the mixing resistor) and they connect to the input on the phase inverter.
      Nope...

Comment

Originally posted by GilmourD View Post
        Technically that's how Fender amps from the '60s on (and even non master volume Marshall and the Tweed Fenders they were based on, to an extent) amps work. There are two separate preamps. If you look at, say, a Fender Twin Reverb schematic there's the Normal channel and the Vibrato channel. At the end of them there's a resistor (called the mixing resistor) and they connect to the input on the phase inverter.
        Marshals don't have separate preamps they have separate inputs, fenders you are right though.
        "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
        you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

With my old Bassman, I used to jumper the channels together, but run an OD into only one side. That way I could get the amount of overdrive I wanted, and then mix in as much or as little of the clean channel with it. It works with my Music Man HD-150 as well.
          - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
          Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
          The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

Originally posted by Vasshu the humanoid typhoon View Post
            Well you need a parallel mixer for line level signal...nothing hard in that
            But I think that you will dislike the sound....
            There are better results in using two different amps instead.
            Thanks! Any particular reason why you think I would dislike the result?

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
              Marshals don't have separate preamps they have separate inputs, fenders you are right though.
              They have two channels which end in the same way, two parallel gain stages that each end in a mixing resistor (470K resistors after each channel volume) and meet at a common point. They just happen to have more preamp after that point, but the general idea is the same.
              Nope...

Comment

My old Randall amp let's me do this. Two channels, voiced differently, with preamp and master volume for each channel. I mix in the lower-gain vhannel just enough to really thicken the overall sound. But really clean and really distorted together sounds too odd. You don't get the best of both, you get odd spikes of clean on top of the distortion.

Comment

Working...
                X