Instrument cable to connect head to cab

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Instrument cable to connect head to cab

Hello everyone, i feel like the dumbest person on earth, i just discovered that you shouldnt connect your head to cab with an instrument cable, i have been playing for almost 15 years and didnt knew it. Im buying some speaker cables on Amazon right now.

The thing is, is it possible that my amps are already damaged for being using them like that? Ive never heard any wrong sound or any failure that i could recognize from any of them. At least thats what i think.

Re: Instrument cable to connect head to cab

Possibly.

Get a short (5' or less) two conductor cable, preferably 12-gauge or bigger. (The bigger the number, the smaller the wire. You want FAT wires! I never use less than 14-gauge for my amps or PA cabs.)

Oh...you know this applies to your PA cabs too, right? Two- conductor speaker cable. Unless you have power speakers....etc.

You don't have to spend a lot. I like the Live Wires and Live Wires Elite cables from GC. Bob at Eurotubes has some great cables, as does Andy at Pro Guitar Shop. Monster, RAPCO, Pig Hog...lots to choose from. But buy HIGH QUALITY cables, and baby them. NEVER, NEVER disconnect by yanking on the cord! Always pull on the plug. Yanking on the wire can short your cable...and then you WILL have an expensive repair bill.

In a pinch, you can use standard lamp cord, commonly referred to as zip cord. It usually comes in 18 or 16 gauge. I once needed a speaker cord...in a hurry. I was playing in a small town, it was late, and the only shop open was a vacuum cleaner shop. I bought a replacement vacuum cord, and got it soldered up with five minutes to spare. Whew!

The good news...with a proper speaker cord, your amp may sound better than ever!

Good luck!

Bill

And congrats...you are no longer the dumbest person on earth! Yea!

We all went through learning this stuff. Enjoy the journey!

Bill
    Last edited by Boogie Bill; 03-23-2017, 12:13 AM.
    When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

I think most people selling you HQ speaker cables are just ripping you off. If you think basic home or car stereo, almost any wire of decent gauge works. No problems with sound quality or any interference (which is issue of low-level lines). I don't see why guitar lines should be any different; except of course required ruggedness, as broken cable may damage your amp.

Instrument cables of course are entirely different thing and shouldn't be used for speakers.
      "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
      Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Originally posted by JohnyElSucio View Post
        Hello everyone, i feel like the dumbest person on earth, i just discovered that you shouldnt connect your head to cab with an instrument cable, i have been playing for almost 15 years and didnt knew it. Im buying some speaker cables on Amazon right now.

The thing is, is it possible that my amps are already damaged for being using them like that? Ive never heard any wrong sound or any failure that i could recognize from any of them. At least thats what i think.
        Go easy on yourself, brother - it's a more common mistake than you may think. You now have the responsibility to teach this one thing whenever you get the opportunity [emoji1]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah, with a proper cord, it will certainly sound better. What amp is this? And what volume do you usually play at? In some amps, this might not do any damage at a lower volume.

I did find this article which explains the difference pretty well.
          Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Probably a lot of people that do that, as well as run their amps at the wrong impedance for the cab used.

Comment

Don't feel bad, I ran my amp with a short instrument cable for a couple Decades!
              I recently updated to 12-gauge speaker cable and rewired my cabinet's internal wires as well. I hear no difference at all. But I did it all for cheap (local car stereo shop GAVE me the wire, I just bought a couple plug ends) and at least now I don't feel dumb for doing it wrong anymore.

Comment

I don't understand why they don't make the cables a totally different size/connection so people don't fall into this trap.
                My website - https://stevenamckay.com/

My gear - Gibson- Les Pauls - 2 x Classic (sunburst and ebony), Slash Standard, DC Special Tribute, SG Standard, Explorer, Flying V. 1980 Hamer Sunburst.
                MIM Fender Strat. MIK Squier Tele. Jackson JDR94, Kelly, Concert Bass. Fender acoustic. Mandolin.
                Spark Mini, Marshall DSL20HR, 1912.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfshead View Post
                  I don't understand why they don't make the cables a totally different size/connection so people don't fall into this trap.
                  Speakon is an option. I like Speakon myself but the connector size isn't convenient for input dishes with mono-stereo / multiple impedance options. I think the industry just figures that a little education (or thought) is easier (and cheaper) than creating a new standard.

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfshead View Post
                    Because they expect you to be somewhat competent. Also, you can always use an instrument cable in a pinch. It's kinda nice vs speakon where you can just be totally ****ed.
                    TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

These are nice if you don't need stereo or multi-impedance jacks. Speakon or 1/4" ...

Comment

Watch the "lamp cord" stuff though - a local guy snatched the cable off a cheap lamp and ran it into 100w head and a 4x12 wide open. It was one of those see-thru type cords where you can see the wire. The wire glowed. And then melted. And then set the carpet on fire.

Just spend the money for speaker cable and be done with it. Get a spare or two, and ignore the MacGyvering.
                        Originally posted by Brown Note
                        I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
                        My Blog

Comment

Seriously? It melted?? I can't see how it would - it ought to have been what, probably 16 gauge or so?
                          Not saying it's not true, just literally expressing my surprise.

Comment

You likely haven't done any damage. The biggest risk is the instrument cable melting the insulation and shorting itself and the output transformer.

But you would definitely know if this had happened haha.
                            Please visit and share my guitar gear & DIY Blog
                            WWW.BACKLINE.TK

Non Biased General Guitar forum
                            http://fret.boards.net

Comment

Originally posted by DrNewcenstein View Post
                              Watch the "lamp cord" stuff though - a local guy snatched the cable off a cheap lamp and ran it into 100w head and a 4x12 wide open. It was one of those see-thru type cords where you can see the wire. The wire glowed. And then melted. And then set the carpet on fire.

Just spend the money for speaker cable and be done with it. Get a spare or two, and ignore the MacGyvering.
                              Speaker wire and lamp cord are the same thing. If you saw a meltdown it wasn't because of the "speaker wire". 22 gauge wire will handle the most fire breathing marshall amp ever made.

Comment

Working...
                              X