Panama Guitars Fuego/Fuego X vs. Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 18

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panama Guitars Fuego/Fuego X vs. Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 18

Im looking into getting a compact, all valve head. I play a lot of high gain, djenty, progressive/alternative metal, but I also want amazing cleans and a good 80s British hard rock tone. I was looking into the 6505 mini, but was turned away by the crap clean channel that's typical of 5150 type amps. Pros and cons of both heads? Tonal differences of the high gain "american" sounds?
    EBMM Monarchy Majesty 6 Purple (DiMarzio Sonic Ecstasies)
    Jackson Soloist AT Indigo Storm HT6 (BKP Juggernauts)
    Jackson Soloist Slime Green FR6 (Duncan Custom B/59B N)
    Fender MIM Fat Strat Sunburst (Stock)
    PRS Archon
    Line 6 Helix -> Powerstage

Re: Panama Guitars Fuego/Fuego X vs. Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 18

I had the Tubemeister 18 combo and have played the Tubemeister Deluxe 20 head.

The Tubemeister will get you a good clean and good 80s British hard rock tone. IMO, by itself it doesn't do high gain well (djent/progressive metal levels). It has a boost that gets you into high gain territory, but you cannot control the level of the boost, and the overall result is really messy. If you're willing to use pedals to get your high gain, the Tubemeister (or, actually, any amp with good clean and dirt channels) might work for you.

I don't have experience with Panama amps.

The Carvin V3M may accomplish your purposes. I've spent a little time with it, enough to remember that the cleans were good and the hard rock tones were usable (I don't really do high gain).

If you have the $, the Mesa Mini Rectifier or Mark 5:25 will get you all 3 sounds, though I don't think you would be able to footswitch amongst 3, only 2.

3 distinct sounds in a compact head is a lot to ask for. You may want to consider running 2 amps, one for dirt and one for cleans.

Comment

Working...
    X