New Speaker Day (yesterday)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Speaker Day (yesterday)

My new Cannabis Rex showed up yesterday (Love that Prime Shipping!). I was able to get it installed, which was actually a bit tricky, since apparently my amp is a bit crowded. If I stuck it in right side up, the transformer(??) blocked it from being put into place. I kept rotating it until the transformer fit into one of the holes in the back of the speaker and was finally able to get it in. I did have to take out the reverb tank and a couple of tubes in order to slid the old speaker out and the new speaker in. But it's in now and everything is working great (except for some tube rattle, I'm pretty sure I widening the retainers too much when I took that tube out, so that should be an easy fix.

Unfortunately, I live in an apartment complex, so I couldn't really turn it up too loud, but even playing at lower volumes I can already hear a pretty big difference. It's much warmer and quite a bit more responsive. I can't wait until I get this thing fully broken in. BTW, how long does that generally take with a new speaker? I have a gig on Saturday, so I'll get to really push it!

Edit cause I forgot pictures.Click image for larger version

Name:	9689 (2).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	5843674
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Matt42; 04-11-2017, 05:45 PM.
    Go Packers!

Re: New Speaker Day (yesterday)

Congrats! What speaker did it replace?

Comment

A Jensen c12/50. The amp is a Fender Deluxe style amp. I was pretty happy with it before. It was great in my old country band, but my band now is a lot louder and it just wasn't cutting through very well.
      Go Packers!

Comment

great speaker! takes forever to break in fully but the change isnt huge

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
          great speaker! takes forever to break in fully but the change isnt huge
          So what I'm hearing now wont change significantly? And how long is forever? Will a couple of hours of loud practice and a gig get it there? Or is it a couple of weeks of practice?

This is the first time I've ever swapped put a new speaker in an amp.
          Go Packers!

Comment

It varies a lot. Depends on how often, how long, and how loud you play through it. But it's definitely going to be a lot more than a couple of hours. The change is going to be gradual too.
            Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 04-13-2017, 06:54 AM.

Comment

big and dark. Great Speakers.
              "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
              Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

yes, very gradual change and depending on how loud you play it could take months to fully break in. you probably wont notice the change since its subtle and over time.

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
                  big and dark. Great Speakers.

I was a bit afraid it was going to be too dark, but so far so good!
                  Go Packers!

Comment

i think the top end opens a touch as it breaks in, not a huge difference though

Comment

Sweet. I'm going to have to make sure to get a video at our gig on Saturday.
                      Go Packers!

Comment

I've gotten Cannabis in the mail before, but that's ridiculous.But a Eminence 'Wizard' pairs real well with that if you ever add an extension cabinet .THose hempcone speakers can tend to be a bit too smooth if your not running a very bright edgy amp like a Fender, unless you want are trying to to take the edge off a bit, and the Wizard kinds of adds the bite back in I think.
                        Last edited by MetalManiac; 04-13-2017, 06:22 PM.
                        "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

The amp is basically a slightly tweaked 65 Deluxe Reverb with no tremolo built in, so it's fairly bright.
                          Go Packers!

Comment

I've been using a crex in my old dr for a long time now. Sounds great! I'm putting a maverick in it tomorrow and we shall see if it cuts the mustard. The crex can even sound a touch better but being able to run the volume up on the amp and dial down the actual volume may win out for gigging

Comment

Years ago, I got a C-Rex in a convertible cab to go with my Jet City Picovalve. It's one of my favorite speakers for taming a harsh top end.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X