No announcement yet.

Why don't they make Tube PA's anymore?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why don't they make Tube PA's anymore?

"Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Re: Why don't they make Tube PA's anymore?

'Cause solid state is less expensive, lighter, less maintenance, and more reliable. Unlike with tube guitar amps, the objective of a PA is to amplify the sound only, not color it (effects aside).

Comment

Perfectly said.
      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

^ Of course this logic would hold true for modern music, however don't you think part of the sound we love from vintage pre-solid state vocals was due to the richness and diensionality of the Tube PA? I am actually considering restoring an old tube PA I have for use to try and grab some of the sweetness of a Billy Holiday vocal tone for instance...maybe put a solid state rectifier in to tighten up the dynamics some.
        Last edited by MetalManiac; 04-16-2017, 05:20 PM.
        "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

weight and cost.
          "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
          Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Many modern PA amps have outputs of thousands of watts which is far easier and cheaper to achieve with SS components than valves.
            To get such outputs from valves, transmitting valves are used.
            -EG: - http://www.chambonino.com/construct/const9.html -
            sigpic

- http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=804435 -
            - https://soundcloud.com/mr-ds-bigband/tracks -

Warning: May contain traces of NUTS

Comment

I would hate to carry a tube PA around. Also, tubes change the sound. They are supposed to. SS technology reproduces the sound better with less coloration. You don't want the coloration a tube amp puts on a guitar to happen on the whole mix of the band.
              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

The modern mic preamps color your sound nicely enough
                Behringer and Mackie brag on these preamps that provide the tubeishness of which you speak
                EHD
                Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Some people spend big bucks on tube hi-fi. If you have heard a great vocalist or horn player through a tube hi-fi amp, one can understand why. It's totally clean but much more expressive and three dimensional.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalManiac View Post
                    ^ Of course this logic would hold true for modern music, however don't you think part of the sound we love from vintage pre-solid state vocals was due to the richness and diensionality of the Tube PA? I am actually considering restoring an old tube PA I have for use to try and grab some of the sweetness of a Billy Holiday vocal tone for instance...maybe put a solid state rectifier in to tighten up the dynamics some.
                    I'm not sure, if I've seen a band with a tube PA it could only have been once or twice.
                    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Many of the old valve (tube) PAs with their column speakers used to get used as guitar amps way back in the day, and they almost always sounded great for that purpose.
                      Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

Ever seen a 500 watt tube amp? Oh they exist, you just don't want to buy it, carry it or maintain it.

Comment

Originally posted by SlyFoxx View Post
                          Ever seen a 500 watt tube amp? Oh they exist, you just don't want to buy it, carry it or maintain it.

sigpic

- http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=804435 -
                          - https://soundcloud.com/mr-ds-bigband/tracks -

Warning: May contain traces of NUTS

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                            I would hate to carry a tube PA around. Also, tubes change the sound. They are supposed to. SS technology reproduces the sound better with less coloration. You don't want the coloration a tube amp puts on a guitar to happen on the whole mix of the band.
                            Well, they do but they're not *supposed* to. It's called a shortcoming. The fact that we have come to expect them to color the tone and love it doesn't mean they were designed to color the tone. Back then that's the best they had to achieve amplification.

I know you're extremely knowledgeable about all this by the way. I'm not trying to correct you. Just adding a bit to what you said.

Comment

It's very interesting to look at Fender amp designs through the years and see how they got cleaner and cleaner as they got more and more powerful and more efficient. It's also interesting how different players have preferences for the different eras... Early or late Tweed, Brownface, Blackface, early or late silverface, Rivera era...
                              Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Working...
                              X