Inspiration thread: Stereo and w/d/w rigs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inspiration thread: Stereo and w/d/w rigs

As if it wasn't obvious from threads recently I am working on a stereo rig that has been in the works for the better part of a decade, but was put aside for more than half that time as I lost interest in guitar and pursued other musical interests. Now I'm back and want to get the blasted thing done.

Here I was merely interested in seeing how people who have had stereo rigs here have gone about to make theirs. I will post some trouble spots with my own rig below, but I'd just like to see what people have done previously for inspiration as well.

----------------------------

My rig is based around the ADA MP-1, going into a TC Electronics G-System. This will most likely be going into a 2x200 w Marshall 9040 power amp. I have a 2x2 EL34 Marshall 9100, but I honestly don't think the difference in tone warrants the extra weight and hassle of using it. The main difference for my purposes is that the solid state lacks a little top end sizzle, but the BBE Sonic Maximizer is the time-tested way of getting that back, and should be in there soon.

The main question now is how to scale the speakers. For now I got a 4x12 with Greenbacks, and whilst I would love to experiment with different variants of it, I love the top end sizzle in the speakers. I consider the Greenback/MP-1 mixture the heart of the rig. It would be fun to get 2 1x12s for the wet channel, so that the rig in time can be enlarged to a true w/d/w rig if and when I get a separate head. The real problem is that the 9040 might be too strong for the purpose: it runs 200w @ 4 ohm, c110w @ 8 ohm and 60w @ 16 ohm. One would rarely want to dime a SS power amp, but it also makes sense not to put oneself in a situation where speakers could accidentally blow up. Currently the 4x12 runs at 8 ohm, so it is pretty much rated the same as the power amp. If I want to downsize I could probably get a 2x12 and run it 16 ohm with no problem. But what of the 1x12(s)? Here the Greenbacks are dangerously weak. One option would be to get a stronger speaker. The Creambacks would work, but I don't like their darker voicing as much. The Lynchback looks like the perfect solution (especially since it makes fewer dB out of more watts!), except for one problem: it is only available in an 8 ohm version. Had Celestion sold a 16 ohm version I would have regarded it as a no-brainer. Or: another question is whether the wet channels should have speakers with such a strong colour to them…

I am not yet certain if I should scale down the power amp to something like a Rocktron Velocity, hope for the best with the Marshall, or something else. I'll contemplate this a bit further to images and run-throughs of your awesome stereo rigs.
    Last edited by Sirion; 04-22-2017, 12:41 AM.

Re: Inspiration thread: Stereo and w/d/w rigs

I've done a few gigs with a stereo rig; I loved it but setup was such a PITA that I quit doing it. I was simply using two Fender BF amps and stereo chorus and stereo reverb pedals to create an incredible swirling soundscape. It was fun to be in the middle of it, and it sounded huge though it lacked "focus" in the audience, if that makes sense.

I now own two Mesa 212 Mavericks, buying the second one when I thought I was going to be doing another power trio. That gig fell through, so I'm selling the second Maverick. It was still going to be a PITA, but I thought it worth it for that band. It would be overkill for my current band.

I've also done the A/B setup, using a Fender BF Tremolux head and 210 cab for cleans and an original Super Champ 110 combo for leads. That actually worked really well, but again setup was complicated. Things got better and easier when I bought my first Mesa Mark III--it had great lead tones and clean tones in one amp.

The Mesa Road King amp has four channels and each channel can be assigned to different sets of power tubes and then to one of two speaker systems. The Road King cabs are wired for stereo operation with one side open back and the other closed. Pretty much the ultimate channel-switching amp.

There's a lot to be said for using different amps with different speakers. But that second amp complicates things in a hurry. Volume becomes an issue if you're not playing big rooms. Space can be an issue on small stages. And just loading it into the van is problematic, since I'm already carrying my regular gear plus PA plus lights. My roadie would rebel...and I don't like sleeping in the doghouse. Lol!

It can be done. It can be fun. It can sound great. I wish you luck and success.

Bill
    When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Steve Morse does this, sending his delays to a separate amp, and 'blending them in' with volume pedals. I do this with a guitar synth/looping rig, sending stereo guitar, stereo synth and piezo w/ stereo delay and reverb to a mixer, with the loopers in the stereo aux sends, then back into the mixer. This goes to powered PA cabinets.
      Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
        My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Working...
        X