NAD Mesa Stilletto Duce Killer tone and deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAD Mesa Stilletto Duce Killer tone and deal

This sounds like a tweaked late 70s JMP, which is what it is actually based on. The clean channel is full and snappy and can do some great funk tones and be pushed for some cool crunch. Would I do jazz gigs with it over my amps? Nope, but it has a great British style clean.

The OD channel sounds wicked and I dig all the various settings and find the master volume, channel volume, and 100/50 watt switch to be extremely useful and pleasant in getting great low volume OD tones. This amp pushes 100 watts, but is not dangerously loud or uncontrollable. Not too many steps behind the Friedman MV tone and feel IMHO.

I was out of town on business and swung by a shop. Found it for a good deal, and got it for an even better deal. I'll play with it for a while, and then may flip it after a bit. The price was worth the risk and I can easily make my money back, and hand the deal off to someone else.

Kind of surprised this model doesn't get more love, but I guess the TC50, Trans Atlantic, and Royal Atlantic are leading the Mesa British spin offs these days.

Excited to see how my pedals sounds thorugh this, especially my Bogner Ubershall and Flashback.

Re: NAD Mesa Stilletto Duce Killer tone and deal

Cool, I've somehow never managed to play one. Does it play and sound like a Marshall or like a Mesa with a bit of a Marshall flavor?
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I say its more Marshall, and if you switch the OD to "Fluid" it has a Mesa signature tone... in tight mode, it sounds like a JMP variant.... very versatile amp, really impressed

Comment

I always laugh when people talk about jazz gigs. If you're buying high gain amps, chances are, you aren't doing any jazz gigs anytime soon. And those who disagree are lying.

I've messed around with Stiletto's, and they have some good tones that are 50/50 crosses between Mesa and Marshall.

It's hard not to like the black crocodile/chrome aesthetic. They look really cool.
        Last edited by Gearjoneser; 04-25-2017, 07:31 PM.
        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I prefer the 150w version by a touch,,, but I'd be at 50w on either one most of the time anyways so it really wouldn't matter much.
          Always makes me think of women's high-heels though. lol
          Should have just named the series the Mesa Trident, and had the two different wattage options.

Comment

I should say, Jazz style clean... I don't do straight ahead jazz, but do a lot of neo soul, accompany folks on smoother jazz with brass bands....

Comment

congrats.

you running pedals thru the loop or in front. i have an ace which i run my pedals thru the front.

stilettos are underrated and great amps
              Originally posted by grumptruck
              No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
              Originally posted by Gear Used
              PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
              Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
              Mesa Stiletto Ace
              Gurus 5015
              Mesa Widebody 1X12
              Pedalboard

Comment

Actually, I thought the cleans on the Stiletto Ace combo would be great for a jazz gig, and ditto for the Electra-Dyne. Fat and punchy rules.

Congrats on the new Deuce!

Bill
                When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Yeah, there are a handful of Mesa amps that would work on jazz gigs...some of the Subways, and my Blue Angel. Congrats on the score!
                  Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

my Mesa Mark III BLue stripe had a great clean... I never should have sold it, that was my first tube amp... I got it for $650 lol

Comment

There is one of these in a local shop (unless the town you went to was Tampa). Played it for a while. Some nice tones. Lots of switches and knobs, classic Mesa style. Definitely had some Marshall bad@$$ery about it.
                      Originally posted by Bad City
                      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                      X