NAD - Randall Diavlo RD1H

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAD - Randall Diavlo RD1H

So, after years of playing it i sold Blackstar HT-5 and bought new Randall Diavlo RD1H. The sound of the HT-5 just wasn't what i was looking for no more and it was too loud for silence practising. This is 1 watt all tube amp with one 12AU7 and two 12AX7 tubes. I am gonna use this for practising at home at low volume levels, and recording through the reaper. I am running it through my old Orange 1x12 cab with Vintage 30. First impressions, the amp has that blasting hi gain tones i was looking for. I already have RD45 head and compared to this, the RD1 have less bottom end and less of that dimebag kind of bite, but for 1 watt there is still enough low end, much much better than HT5. Fx loop. 3 different gain stages, the first is more flat, vintage sounding, second one is something in the middle, and the third is more scooped, boomy, modern american hi gain. the amp is single channel, so the cleans are hard to get, but you can raise the volume all the way up, and lower the gain down, roll down a bit volume of the pickup and cleans are there. so i found out cleans usable for practising. I am gonna do the comparison tonight between Guitar Rig 5, Overloud TH2, Roland Cube 40 and Diavlo RD1. This Randall have just enough of volume for practising, if you turn the volume up to full it is about half of what could do 5 watter. I needed that. I paid around 200 bucks.
    Last edited by Lux84; 05-04-2017, 01:25 PM.

Re: NAD - Randall Diavlo RD1H

The one time I played through one of these, I really liked it. I don't remember the tones, though.

Can it get British or Marshall-type of tones? Or is it American-sounding all the way?

And how does it do with low gain, light crunch, classic rock, etc.?

I had the same issues with the HT-5, and got rid of it for the same reasons.

Comment

Congrats! I have an RD5 combo that I got in a trade, and I love it for what it is. I wish I had the head version, though.

A friend I jam with has the RD1H, and he runs it through a Mesa 1x12. His setup sounds great.

Originally posted by stratguy23 View Post
      Can it get British or Marshall-type of tones?
      It can do a pretty passable impersonation with the TSS set in the middle position, IMO. At least mine can, lol.

Originally posted by stratguy23 View Post
      And how does it do with low gain, light crunch, classic rock, etc.?
      It does pretty good. The amp's forte is high-gain, though. If low-gain is your priority, I guess there's better suited options.
      Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 05-05-2017, 09:09 AM.

Comment

I keep convincing myself not to buy an RD5 head that I've been seeing on Craigslist. You're not making it any easier.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
          I keep convincing myself not to buy an RD5 head that I've been seeing on Craigslist. You're not making it any easier.
          If it is a good deal, I say go for it, lol. It's great for what it is. The emulated line out sounds decent from what I've heard, and with the fact that it has its own dummy load built in is pretty convenient. Since it only has two preamp tubes and a single power tube, it's a fun amp to experiment with by swapping tubes too.

Comment

Ok, i thought i would do a little update on this amp. I found out sound superior on certain settings. with a few little dissapointements.. i found out middle and right tone shape settings usable, but the left setting unusable. also i have the tone set on about 6 or 7 of 10, anything lower too dark for me. the sounds of middle and right setting are the best for metal, and each one is quite different, which is cool. i also found of the big difference in tone if i set the gain lower and boost it with od, or if i just crank the gain up, without using an od. with gain on about 7 of 10 i don't need an od pedal at all. compared to RD45 which i also have the tone is similar, but RD1 lacks a bit more of versatility that RD45 have. you cannot scoop the mids and raise the presence and bass on RD1, because of the lack of controls. but i am impressed on what those 1 watt of tube can do. much better than the blackstar. the tone is tight and clear, with enough bottom end, also very responsive to use of guitar controls. the volume is perfect for practising, just enough, i use it on about half of volume at night, with no complains. it's a great little amp, but i am missing some extra brutality that RD45 has. if it had the seperate clean channel it would definately have everything you need for practicing. but cleans are also achievable at right settings, so it's not that big deal.
            Last edited by Lux84; 05-16-2017, 10:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X