NAD: feel the burn channel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAD: feel the burn channel

Got my super sonic 22 today and have started messing with it.
    Why did i not get this amp years ago when i got the drri

Clean channel has wonderful bark and breakup around halfway on the volume but the bass doesn't squish up as much. The fat boost is delicious and at 6 on volume it offers classic rock crunch but still with tons of touch sensitivity. The reverb is excellent as i knew it would be. Hard to beat a tube driven long spring.
    The burn channel has pretty moderate crunch up until the knobs are maxed and it really matches the clean channel quite well. So far i like have both gains about equal around 2/3 up.

So far I've only used my jazzmaster with it and am very happy. The 1 meg pots really tame any possible ice pick when you back things off on volume or tone its much more noticeable than with my practice amps.

Looking forward to plugging in the epi lp and trying the blues driver too.
    Anyways I'm really happy especially with just cranking the normal channel.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	b80e007c-48b2-43f5-adda-3e5932f21cc7.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	5844347
    Last edited by FuseG4; 05-05-2017, 03:15 PM.

Re: NAD: feel the burn channel

VERY cool!

My favorite is to run the burn channel's second gain floored, with the first gain to taste. Match its volume to the clean channel with the fat boost on, and I'm ready to play a show.

Enjoy, and happy new amp day!!!
    Last edited by guitfiddle; 05-05-2017, 06:13 PM.
    - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
    Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
    The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

Originally posted by guitfiddle View Post
      VERY cool!

My favorite is to run the burn channel's second gain floored, with the first gain to taste. Match its volume to the clean channel with the fat boost on, and I'm ready to play a show.

Enjoy, and happy new amp day!!!
      tried this today, loved it!
      I was worried maybe the epi LP would be boomy maybe on the neck pickup but it wasn't, wasn't muddy at all. Had my dad stand down the road to tell my how it sounded lol.
      I still haven't tried boosting it or eq in the loop, but it's because i've been so satisfied thus far.
      I would like to find some kind of delay and russian muff though.

Comment

still have my weber load dump attenuator...it works great, I can have a reasonably full sounding burn channel at 1 am!
        So happy. Besides delay and headphone practice I now have no need for my Champion 20 practice amp.

Comment

Nice amp....
          I changed the speaker to a Celestion G12H.
          Also changed the reverb tank at some point.

Then after a few years it grenaded itself, a short from the remote switch killed a few resistors, also the amp ran quite hot on the bias.
          Lowered that one, got rid of some of that hiss it has, and made the clean channel turn up alittle bit more before it goes into dirt.

Loved it, but the footswitch thing bugged me, plus being in this business of repairing stuff does not help
          I sold it, Fender does not have a very good record with reliability....and that design bug did not sit too well with me!

Anyways it is a sweet little amp.
          Used it with a delay in the loop most of the time and nothing else, guitars directly in...

These days I am saving up for a Marshall Astoria head and cab
          I have turned back to British sounds again, I grew up using that stuff, and Fender cleans never really was my thing.
          I loved the burn channel on the SS22, the clean not so much, the fat switch was on most of the time.

And after the Celestion was installed, it turned out more to my likings!

I hope that it will work well for you!
          A tip for the pop that sometimes comes when you change channels, adjust the volume as close as possible on the clean and dirt channel, then the pop is slightly more muffled.

Comment

I'm gigging with one... it's arguably the best sounding amp i have ever used. Couple things.

1) The stock tubes suck. Kill them with fire.
            2) I had to have a custom cable made to midi control this thing, which is really irritating. Especially since I'm ONLY using it to switch channels. My FX loop is always in, and does anyone actually use amp reverb???
            3) It doesn't really start to get it's sound until you reach about 4 on the volume control.
            4) I didn't like... and didn't buy... the matching speaker cabinet. I'm using to drive a 4x12 with Celestion G12-80s.
            5) People make a big deal about the pop during channel switching but seriously it's not that big a deal. There's so much **** making weird noises during a show that nobody notices or cares.
            6) Best clean channel ever, and with two great sounding modes.
            7) If you think you need more gain then this your soundman probably hates you. I don't use pedals with this amp even when I am making the metal.

Comment

Originally posted by Vasshu the humanoid typhoon View Post
              Nice amp....
              I changed the speaker to a Celestion G12H.
              Also changed the reverb tank at some point.

Then after a few years it grenaded itself, a short from the remote switch killed a few resistors, also the amp ran quite hot on the bias.
              Lowered that one, got rid of some of that hiss it has, and made the clean channel turn up alittle bit more before it goes into dirt.

Loved it, but the footswitch thing bugged me, plus being in this business of repairing stuff does not help
              I sold it, Fender does not have a very good record with reliability....and that design bug did not sit too well with me!

Anyways it is a sweet little amp.
              Used it with a delay in the loop most of the time and nothing else, guitars directly in...

These days I am saving up for a Marshall Astoria head and cab
              I have turned back to British sounds again, I grew up using that stuff, and Fender cleans never really was my thing.
              I loved the burn channel on the SS22, the clean not so much, the fat switch was on most of the time.

And after the Celestion was installed, it turned out more to my likings!

I hope that it will work well for you!
              A tip for the pop that sometimes comes when you change channels, adjust the volume as close as possible on the clean and dirt channel, then the pop is slightly more muffled.
              mine only has a small hiss on the burn channel with both gains maxed.
              Also I have no pop sound when I switch channels, I think they fixed a few things in it. This is the first amp I've owned with foot switchable channels that I could actually use. The marshall DSL had a volume drop out for a half a second switching channels, plus the EQs were so different (shared controls) unless the amp was cranked up very very loud.

I will bias it cooler later, I know what you mean by wanting the clean channel to break up a little later.
              I hope mine never blows up, so far I love it.

Comment

Originally posted by 2ndhandband View Post
                I'm gigging with one... it's arguably the best sounding amp i have ever used. Couple things.

1) The stock tubes suck. Kill them with fire.
                2) I had to have a custom cable made to midi control this thing, which is really irritating. Especially since I'm ONLY using it to switch channels. My FX loop is always in, and does anyone actually use amp reverb???
                3) It doesn't really start to get it's sound until you reach about 4 on the volume control.
                4) I didn't like... and didn't buy... the matching speaker cabinet. I'm using to drive a 4x12 with Celestion G12-80s.
                5) People make a big deal about the pop during channel switching but seriously it's not that big a deal. There's so much **** making weird noises during a show that nobody notices or cares.
                6) Best clean channel ever, and with two great sounding modes.
                7) If you think you need more gain then this your soundman probably hates you. I don't use pedals with this amp even when I am making the metal.
                1.I maxed my current budget for guitar stuff for a while but I plan to retube prolly with tungsol 6v6. I like the EH 6v6 too, I used them before when I had the super champ xd.
                I think I had old stock power tubes in the DRRI I used to have, but couldn't afford that for a minute.
                I like to find old stock japanese 12ax7, many were made in a plant tooled by Mullard and they are cheaper than many old stock 12ax7 without sounding any worse.

2.My footswitch works great on all functions. And yes, I use the amp verb, I've never owned a verb pedal xD it's a little weaker sounding verb than the DRRI had but that one was too much on 4. This is just right at about 4 I think.

3. I like the low volume sound too, there's plenty of use for a slightly brighter thinner clean, very sweet chimes sounds without killing neighbors. but yes I like to play loud during the day.

4.mine's the combo. Sometime I may put a celestion in it. I had a Weber Greenback in my DRRI and liked it.

5. My SS22 doesn't pop at all.

6. Yes the clean channel rules. the fat boost mode is money.

7. haven't needed more gain yet. When I want to really rock with it I have epi les paul and it gets plenty crunchy and can sound fairly modern with the mids back a little.
                Last edited by FuseG4; 05-10-2017, 10:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by FuseG4 View Post
                  1.I maxed my current budget for guitar stuff for a while but I plan to retube prolly with tungsol 6v6. I like the EH 6v6 too, I used them before when I had the super champ xd.
                  I think I had old stock power tubes in the DRRI I used to have, but couldn't afford that for a minute.
                  I like to find old stock japanese 12ax7, many were made in a plant tooled by Mullard and they are cheaper than many old stock 12ax7 without sounding any worse.

2.My footswitch works great on all functions. And yes, I use the amp verb, I've never owned a verb pedal xD it's a little weaker sounding verb than the DRRI had but that one was too much on 4. This is just right at about 4 I think.

3. I like the low volume sound too, there's plenty of use for a slightly brighter thinner clean, very sweet chimes sounds without killing neighbors. but yes I like to play loud during the day.

4.mine's the combo. Sometime I may put a celestion in it. I had a Weber Greenback in my DRRI and liked it.

5. My SS22 doesn't pop at all.

6. Yes the clean channel rules. the fat boost mode is money.

7. haven't needed more gain yet. When I want to really rock with it I have epi les paul and it gets plenty crunchy and can sound fairly modern with the mids back a little.
                  1) Just retube as soon as you have the scratch. You'll be surprised at the difference.

2) I have to have one-button switching for all patch changes or I am going to trip on something. My whole rig is has to be controlled via my midi pedalboard. As for the reverb I have a Lexicon. Basically renders all other reverbs irrelevant.

3) I don't use mine at all at home... I use my iRig for practicing and learning tunes. I don't need epic tone to get that job done so why put extra wear on my stage rig?

4) I didn't even try the combo so I have no idea what it sounds like. The matching cab had a lot of annoying upper mids.

5) Mine has a very slight pop that I can't even hear over the band. There's a mod but I've never found it worth the bother.

You're gonna love the amp.

Comment

Nice with no pop...
                    Anyways I used EH tubes, tried a few others...
                    But liked the elastic feel with the EH best, fooled around with the preamp tubes, found a bunch that I liked, oh yeah I changed the cable for the reverb with a better one, mine went into a howl when turned up loud

Comment

Working...
                    X