Can a Recto do Van Halen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a Recto do Van Halen?

Mesa posted this up yesterday. As a long time Recto user the tone/playing caught me off guard.

|| Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Re: Can a Recto do Van Halen?

Sounds pretty darn good to me.

I remember a friend's dad was in a cover band back around 2000. His main amp was a Dual Recto, I remember being shocked he was getting great 70's/80's/90's tones of all types.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

I'd say it's sounds just fine.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
        Sounds pretty darn good to me.

I remember a friend's dad was in a cover band back around 2000. His main amp was a Dual Recto, I remember being shocked he was getting great 70's/80's/90's tones of all types.
        They are way more versatile than a lot of people believe. Run EL34s in them and they sound a lot more like a hot rodded Marshall than the quasi-bass amps some guys turn them into.

I use a Road King now and absolutely love it. There are an absurd number of options, but I keep it pretty simple.

Comment

Originally posted by chadd View Post
          They are way more versatile than a lot of people believe. Run EL34s in them and they sound a lot more like a hot rodded Marshall than the quasi-bass amps some guys turn them into.

I use a Road King now and absolutely love it. There are an absurd number of options, but I keep it pretty simple.
          I've got one too. The guy I referenced was a push in that direction!
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by Lewguitar
            How do you think they compare?
            I have both a Dual Recto and a Rectoverb 25 combo... they remarkably similar, yet remarkably different. The video is very accurate to how my ROV:25 sounds, but the clip stands out to me because I've never thought to use it that way.

To answer your question, they both share the same basic Recto sound but the 100 watter sounds bigger, punchier and tracks tighter while the ROV:25 does old school, browned out saggy small amp ready to explode better. I also prefer open back cabs for clean and riding the edge of overdrive type sounds, which is another thing I think the ROV:25 does better than the 100w Recto.

On the big Recto turning down the gain can make it sound kind of bland and boring unless you're playing it at skull crushing volumes where they power section is compressing. The ROV:25 doesn't have that problem... it does those more old school distortion sounds easier and more authentically. Probably has something to do with the EL84s imparting their own raggedy edge early on.

On the ROV:25 the speaker is the real gem IMO. It's less tight and more vintage sounding than a Recto cab. Kind of like a V30 with the harmonics of a Greenback. Probably not ideal if you're in a Metallica cover band, but if you're looking for old school, looser cleans and distortion sounds it's outstanding (IMO).
            Last edited by some_dude; 05-06-2017, 09:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chadd View Post
              Even more so if you plug one into a Marshall cab with G12M-25s.

Comment

They definitely are more versatile than they are given credit for.

But that vid doesn't sound all that brown/oldschool van halen to me. The playing style is there and fooling ears. It sounds more like his modern 5150 tones.
                I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

A Peavey Bandit can do VanHalen if the guy playing through it can do VanHalen.

Comment

Still sounds like a Recto to me. Not EVH like at all IMO. Lacks the proper midrange and treble freqs. Bass is wrong too, you can hear and almost feel the saggy Mesa lowend.
                    I mean...it'll do...in a pinch, but the player/playing is the main contributor here.

(This coming from someone who actually thinks Rectos excel more at rock/blues tones than they do at metal)
                    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
                    ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

Originally posted by JeffB View Post
                      They definitely are more versatile than they are given credit for.

But that vid doesn't sound all that brown/oldschool van halen to me. The playing style is there and fooling ears. It sounds more like his modern 5150 tones.
                      My thoughts as well.

But like others said above, Rectos are more versatile than people think.
                      Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

Not really the old school VH Marshall tones, but still good tones, I could definitely live with them.

Comment

I had the head and cab and no it doesnt do it very good,maybe the v30 didnt work well for it. The DSL blows it away for Marshall tones!
                          tone slut
                          Marshall DSL 40C
                          Fender EVH Striped Series
                          Epiphone Les Paul Custom Pro
                          Fender Squier Tele Affinity
                          Mogami cables

Comment

Yeah I had a dual recto reborn for awhile and they are very versatile amps. Of course you won't nail some sounds and will always sound like a recto. But if you can't get a good, full range of tones out of one of those amps you're not doing something right.

Comment

Can a sumo fighter cartwheel? Equally possible as irrelevant.

Comment

Working...
                              X