Speaker protection attentuator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker protection attentuator

Simply put: does there exist any device that can attentuate the signal from an amplifier if it exceeds a certain wattage? or at least give a warning? I combine solid state power amps with lots of clean headroom with smaller, vintage-style speakers, so something like this could have been a real help for me.

Re: Speaker protection attentuator

Not the same thing but what you are describing is "brick wall" limiting. But this is done at line level...the signal that drives the power section. Limiting is just a form of compression where over X amount of signal, nothing gets by...thus keeping things in check. Many SS PA amps come with such a function to prevent them from running past their capabilities. But this is more to protect the amp than the speakers to which they are connected. But with a little math and research you could just put simple fuses in line with your speakers. But what I would do is simply listen. A speaker will tell you when it's being stressed. Figure out when that happens and back off a bit. Just remember in terms of wattage "back off a bit" can be the difference between ~100watts and ~30watts...not much to your ears but a world of difference to the speaker.

Comment

Well, listening is all well and good, but it would be nice to have some sort of security as well, since I would like to spend as little money as possible replacing speakers!

Comment

How much money you want to spend. There are simple devices like fuses and polyswitches for tweeters and simple circuit breakers for higher power needs. Then there are devices like the Eminence D fend. http://www.eminence.com/d-fend/ It doesn't work with tube amps.
        Last edited by Darg1911; 05-13-2017, 04:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X