Gigging combo for about 400$?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gigging combo for about 400$?

Hey guys. I'm about to get some cash, which would allow me to finally upgrade from my little Peavey practice amp. I like playing somewhat high gain styles as well as some more bluesy, crunchy styles. I have some decent drive pedals, so if it doesn't have enough drive I can boost it up. Any ideas or suggestions?

Re: Gigging combo for about 400$?

In really liking the Vox AC10C2

Comment

I thought that was a good option, the only thing was I don't know if it can really get to the high gain sort of things. Even with pedals.

Comment

Originally posted by Owwwccchhh View Post
        Hey guys. I'm about to get some cash, which would allow me to finally upgrade from my little Peavey practice amp. I like playing somewhat high gain styles as well as some more bluesy, crunchy styles. I have some decent drive pedals, so if it doesn't have enough drive I can boost it up. Any ideas or suggestions?
        Do you want to get some dirt from the amp or will you just stick to pedals? With that budget for gigging you may be better off with a higher wattage solid state amp if you like the sound of your pedals. While I think the AC10 sounds great I don't think it keeps up with a drummer. But I haven't tried

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If your not opposed to modeling amps, the Boss Katana 100w would give you a lot of versatility and give you all the variety you could want.

Comment

I want the dirt to mostly come from the amp, but I have a tube screamer and some distortions if the amp is not high enough gain for my tastes.

Comment

If high gain is your thing, you might like the Jet City amps, I don't know how the Jet City 5012 is priced where you live, but I do recommend looking into the brand.
              Some people may flame me for also putting up the Bugera line up as a candidate, but I think nowadays there "child-sicknesses" are gone and it offers a lot bang for the money, some models are also very suited for high gain styles, so take a look at their line too!
              "You can buy muscles (steroïds), but you can't buy "cojones". (quoted: Bas Rutten)

Comment

I saw the bugera stuff and it looks awesome. The v22 looks good, especially if it can cut somewhat high gain stuff with a drive.

Comment

Originally posted by Owwwccchhh View Post
                  I want the dirt to mostly come from the amp, but I have a tube screamer and some distortions if the amp is not high enough gain for my tastes.
                  Then the tube amp recommendations you're getting are likely your best bet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

$400?

Peavey Bandit. It has rocked more bars than all the Marshall stacks in the world combined.
                    Originally posted by Bad City
                    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I agree with Ace
                      dang that leaves a taste in my mouth

Classic 30 used
                      EHD
                      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
                        I agree with Ace
                        dang that leaves a taste in my mouth
                        So many ban-worthy responses it boggles the mind....
                        Originally posted by Bad City
                        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Blackstar Ht40.

that will give you all the gain you need and a nicw useable clean. Underrated amp that will hold its resale value. $300-$400 used. Gig worthy. Never had to turn up past 3 to be heard over drummer.
                          Originally posted by grumptruck
                          No I think James and Dave have that covered. You are obviously rocking way to hard.
                          Originally posted by Gear Used
                          PRS CE 22 (Custom 5 / 59)
                          Gibson Les Paul (Screaming Demon / Pearly Gates)
                          Mesa Stiletto Ace
                          Gurus 5015
                          Mesa Widebody 1X12
                          Pedalboard

Comment

Great suggestions all around. I'll look more into them and see what fits my style best. Thank you all for your replies.

Comment

Originally posted by nsnate02 View Post
                              If your not opposed to modeling amps, the Boss Katana 100w would give you a lot of versatility and give you all the variety you could want.
                              It's a great sounding amp, and it'll do a lot better than a lot of tube amps in that price range for higher gain metal/hard rock sounds.
                              Originally posted by BigAlTheBird
                              I just got oiixed in the mung by a Canadian.

Timmy - 1
                              Andrew - None

Comment

Working...
                              X