HELP! Important rig decisions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP! Important rig decisions!

So, at the moment i use an engl e530 preamp with a marshall el34 100/100, i've seen a Mesa triple rectifier which i could afford if i traded/sold my current setup.

I do like my current tone (a hecking lot) but i feel like there's something not quite there.

I use modern metal tones mostly but i want something that really growls (not too tight!)with out sounding flubby or muddy?

-Is it worth it?

Re: HELP! Important rig decisions!

Take all your gear in front of the amp and try it. On a Rec be sure to pay close attention to the presence knob and try it out in both Tube and Silicon modes (switch is on the back). Your ears will be a better judge than anybody with so many variables coming into play.

Comment

What cab are you using? What tubes?
      I bought the E530 the week it came out and I only had it for about 5mins and did not like it. Went back to my MP-2 for a while..

I also run an old Rane ME-15 rack eq that is just so awesome to fine tune my eq section, so you can try that as well...
      87 Kramer Pacer Deluxe, 87 Kramer Pacer Imperial, 88 Kramer Nightswan, 83 Kramer V, 88 Kramer F3000, 87 Charvel Model-3, Charvel Jake mutt, > into some rack stuff.

Comment

I would use the E530 with engl power amp and engl 2x12 or 4x12 box. That would sound killer.

For triple recto, I personally did not like it too much, in the end o got the TC-50, straight forward amp that got great tone and very tight bottom end, ideal for metal.

Its a good chance that if you dont already own mesa cab, you would like to get a mesa cab, i never liked mesa amps playing trough different cabs than mesa, there is something about those oversized cab by mesa that makes them sound so good in combination with mesa heads.

The 100/100 does not sound good with anything but jmp 1 preamp, i tried triaxis, rocktron, ada, peavey 6505 fx send into it.

I would suggest to trade the 100/100 and get engl power amp, or trade the preamp and get jmp1.

If you go with mesa, your whole rig will change and it will take you some time to get use to it, triple recto is not one of the best sounding amps to my ears, i would go rather for the 50w version that sounds better to me, with mesa, good chance is that you would need to change cab too.
        Last edited by Kruspe; 05-22-2017, 10:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kruspe View Post
          I would use the E530 with engl power amp and engl 2x12 or 4x12 box. That would sound killer.

The 100/100 does not sound good with anything but jmp 1 preamp, i tried triaxis, rocktron, ada, peavey 6505 fx send into it.

I would suggest to trade the 100/100 and get engl power amp, or trade the preamp and get jmp1.
          +1 for a better power amp.

I'm not familiar with Engl, but just about every rack power amp is better than an EL34 100/100. I've never played VHT/Fryette, but they're supposed to be great for metal tones. I've played almost every Mesa, and their power amps are excellent. The Simul 395 sounds the most amp-like, while the old 50/50 sounds great on a budget. Of their more recent offerings, the Simul 2:90 sounds the best IMO.
          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
          And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Light the Marshall on fire. Those are amongst the worst sounding tube power amps I have heard.

If you want modern metal an E530 WILL deliver. Get a Mesa or Engl or Peavey power amp... I don't really recommend he Engl actually... their power amps are overpriced. But literally anything but the Marshall.

Comment

Originally posted by metalchurch79 View Post
              What cab are you using? What tubes?
              I bought the E530 the week it came out and I only had it for about 5mins and did not like it. Went back to my MP-2 for a while..

I also run an old Rane ME-15 rack eq that is just so awesome to fine tune my eq section, so you can try that as well...
              It's cool there's another MP-2 man on the forum... that's arguably the best programmable preamp ever made.

I disagree on the e530. It's not quite what I like (I prefer the plexi-like tones of the older E520) but when I'm recording at my friend's studio there's an E530 in there and it's our go-to unit for anything modern metal. For reference, there is also a Dual Recto in the room.

Comment

My buddy bought my E530 and got good results from his, I actually liked playing his rig from time to time. As far as the EL34 100/100 and the 9200,9100 those are excellent power amps used by many bands from the mid 90's when those power amps were introduced, right up until today you'll still see bands like Priest,Maiden,Megadeth and countless others still using them because they are work horses.
                A Poweramp does have some inherent tone, but for the most part the preamp does the coloring and the Poweramp simply amplifies that sound. For the most part. Now tubes will play an important role obviously as well...
                I like the 5881's in my 9200 as opposed to the EL34, which is the same Poweramp with different tubes. On my Side-B I pulled two power tubes, which essentially made it 60w, not 50w as you be inclined to think. At least that's how it was explained to me. Its a nice tonal change and its so much more smooth and has a very nice break up to it.
                87 Kramer Pacer Deluxe, 87 Kramer Pacer Imperial, 88 Kramer Nightswan, 83 Kramer V, 88 Kramer F3000, 87 Charvel Model-3, Charvel Jake mutt, > into some rack stuff.

Comment

Tell you what... the same studio I referred to above has two tube power amps: a pair of Carvin TS100s. Those things are quite inexpensive and a real sleeper. My friend has a ton of cool preamps in his rack: Mesas (including a lovely old Quad), Carvins, Engls, Peaveys, a Bogner Fish, and a hyper-rare Soldano X99. EVERYTHING gets run through those Carvins. One has the stock EL34s and one has 6L6s... I much prefer the one with 6L6 but they're both fine. Something to think about.

The best deals going for tubed power amps are those Carvins and the Peavey Classic Series. I have a preference for the Peaveys but they are old enough they might need some reconditioning and should probably just get recapped before you even plug it in. The Carvins are newer.
                  Last edited by 2ndhandband; 05-23-2017, 06:15 AM.

Comment

Yea I got what you're saying, its just that I wouldn't really group an entire model run of anything together based on a few examples. Not that you were implying that. What I was getting at, is that there are numerous variables in a given signal path that can be tweaked. Some things can't be made to do something that they're not intended to do, but that being said, there are plenty of examples of people getting an awesome tone using those poweramps.

The E530 is a quality product, it just didn't do what I wanted it to do, now this old Engl 620 I have walks all over the 'modern metal' 530, but then again I'm using 5881/ 6L6 as opposed to the OP's EL34's, and I'm running G12T's in a sealed 1960B cab. Not sure what he is using, as far as tubes or cab, but I'm sure he can tweak something to get closer in the tonal direction he wants to go rather than redoing his rig...at least for now.

Comment

Yea I got what you're saying, its just that I wouldn't really group an entire model run of anything together based on a few examples. Not that you were implying that. What I was getting at, is that there are numerous variables in a given signal path that can be tweaked. Some things can't be made to do something that they're not intended to do, but that being said, there are plenty of examples of people getting an awesome tone using those poweramps.

The E530 is a quality product, it just didn't do what I wanted it to do, now this old Engl 620 I have walks all over the 'modern metal' 530, but then again I'm using 5881/ 6L6 as opposed to the OP's EL34's, and I'm running G12T's in a sealed 1960B cab. Not sure what he is using, as far as tubes or cab, but I'm sure he can tweak something to get closer in the tonal direction he wants to go rather than redoing his rig...at least for now.
                      A lot of people don't think about their speakers, which is a shame because I think they're much more important than your choice of power amp.

As for the preamps I kind of agree; I prefer the older engls myself. The E530 is very much your stereotypical "Engl" tone (basically a different flavor of recto), whereas the E620 and the E520 hew a little closer to a British sound. I very much prefer the latter. The E570 and especially the E580 can get both, but at a price tag to match.

Comment

Yea absolutely man! There are so many variables and he has some nice equipment, its just getting a sound he likes. Its in there somewhere...
                        Engl are expensive but they deliver.

Comment

Yea absolutely man! There are so many variables and he has some nice equipment, its just getting a sound he likes. Its in there somewhere...
                          Engl are expensive but they deliver.
                          Yeah... once I get my FX rig sorted... and by the time I'm done with that I'm going to be in close to 3k... I am probably going to start watching for a deal on an E580. Whether I buy it this year or next depends on how much money I have made by the end of the year. Sometimes I buy some extra stuff for tax purposes...

Comment

I had your exact rig when I was in a touring metal band. Personally, I would keep it.
                            Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                            My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Hi guys! thanks for all the reply's, as for my cab im using a Purple Chilli 2x12 (boutique, local to me) loaded with a greenback (G12 i think?) and a V-30. I think i might try putting 6L6's in the power amp (if you can do that?) and i heard a mention that the stock tubes in the engl could be better so ill try that swapping those as well.

Just to repeat, i do love my tone, i think it sounds great.

Comment

Working...
                              X