Fractal Audio Axe Effects II power options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fractal Audio Axe Effects II power options

I'm searching for a power amp and cab options for high school gym sized venues to go with the axe effects II. Its completely new to me because Im so used to my marshall dsl series amps and cabs. I dont want to buy a power amp that'll be too weak or too strong for a couple of 4x12 cabs. Any suggestions? I dont even have the axe effects yet but Ill be picking it up pretty soon so I couldnt tell you much about what it is. And would two 4x12 cabs be overkill for a venue that size? Its mainly just stage presence

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

Re: Fractal Audio Axe Effects II power options

Check out the fractal forum to see what the guys there are using with these. The atomic CLR gets raved reviews for use with modelers. The AFII has high quality cab sims, I would not recommend using a traditional guitar cabs with it, not that they won't work but its unnecessary to carry around a 4x12 with it for stage presence or monitoring.

Comment

Originally posted by Hank- View Post
      Check out the fractal forum to see what the guys there are using with these. The atomic CLR gets raved reviews for use with modelers. The AFII has high quality cab sims, I would not recommend using a traditional guitar cabs with it, not that they won't work but its unnecessary to carry around a 4x12 with it for stage presence or monitoring.
      I've used a 2x12 with my Helix and gone direct with an IR at the same time. I think 4x12's are unnecessary, but I wouldn't rule them out either.

For the OP, some guys are using Carvins too, which can clock in around 9lbs, super light for a good PA. I have a QSC that I like a lot. If you want to skip going direct in general, then you could use a tube power amp and just use preamp models in the AxeFx.
      Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
      Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
      Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
      Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
      Line 6 Helix
      Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

The new PowerStage poweramps into the cab of your choice are a great solution, and they sound amazing with an AxeFx.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          The new PowerStage poweramps into the cab of your choice are a great solution, and they sound amazing with an AxeFx.
          Thats exactly what I just picked up and its perfect. The AxeFX has a lot of things to scroll through but the tone I have dialed in now sounds excellent through a marshall 4x12 with the power stage. Theres a lot of feedback right now though thats hard to control. Do you know if thats the fault of the power stage?

Comment

If you still have your old tube head, maybe you can use FX return to put your FX unit sounds and use the tube power amp of that head, that could work pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by Kruspe View Post
              If you still have your old tube head, maybe you can use FX return to put your FX unit sounds and use the tube power amp of that head, that could work pretty good.
              Good point.. I do love my tubes and worship them

Comment

Originally posted by Derpottsie View Post
                Good point.. I do love my tubes and worship them

if you find out this is a good combination .. why to even spend money on the solid state power amp you know, you could use those for something different..

The only downside to this i guess is that you will have to carry some weight, the solid states weights nothing.

Or you can get a solid state and have stereo rig, use old marshall with dry input plus FX unit with power amp with completely different sound throu different cab, that could sound massive.

Comment

Originally posted by Kruspe View Post
                  if you find out this is a good combination .. why to even spend money on the solid state power amp you know, you could use those for something different..

The only downside to this i guess is that you will have to carry some weight, the solid states weights nothing.

Or you can get a solid state and have stereo rig, use old marshall with dry input plus FX unit with power amp with completely different sound throu different cab, that could sound massive.
                  I got it for the reasons of travel and its weight. But if it adds something juicy to my tone, whether I use it alone or with a tube amp, then I guess its worth it. Perfect tone is priceless even if I gotta break my back to take it wherever I go. Hopefully I wont need my marshall for anything other than home practice

Comment

Originally posted by Derpottsie View Post
                    Thats exactly what I just picked up and its perfect. The AxeFX has a lot of things to scroll through but the tone I have dialed in now sounds excellent through a marshall 4x12 with the power stage. Theres a lot of feedback right now though thats hard to control. Do you know if thats the fault of the power stage?

The one I tried didn't feed back at all, but my guess is that you are sending the PowerStage too high of a level. I own an AX8, and you can set the overall output level- I'd turn that down, and turn the PowerStage up to see if that helps.
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                    X