My 1x12 kills my 2x12.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My 1x12 kills my 2x12.

I've got an open back 1x12 cab with an Eminence Wizard, and a 2x12 with a Celestion V30/K100 combo.

At loud apartment levels at least (think of a loud hi-fi system and a bit over that) the 1x12 absolutely slays the 2x12 when it comes to definition, tone and punch.
    The 2x12 sounds flat and lifeless, while the 1x12 sounds HEAVY AS ****. It makes no sense but it is that way.

I'm guessing the single speaker vibrates more at these levels and that's why it responds better?
    I've never been able to really crank the 2x12, and I hope I can do that sometime soon.

EDIT: Using my Tweaker, BTW.
    Last edited by Diego; 05-26-2017, 05:02 PM.
    Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
    Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
    Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
    Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Re: My 1x12 kills my 2x12.

It could be that you just like the voicing of that speaker better... or that it's more broken in.

Comment

Yeah. This makes me wanna buy another Wizard and throw them both in my 2x12.
      The Wizard has a raspy high-end response that just sounds great to me.

Just thinking outloud here, I could also try taking one speaker off my 2x12, dropping my Wizard in and leaving the other speaker as a dummy, right?
      To see if I just like Wizards in my 2x12 and dislike my Celestions.

I think mounting only the Wizard in my 2x12 could do something weird to the bass response, since it would have a 12 inch bass port in the front.

Comment

Don't forget you're playing pretty quiet. Some speakers don't really get their tone till they're pushed. I use classic G12-80s and you'd have to put a gun to my head to get me to switch... but they don't really start to sing until my amp is almost halfway up.

My advice is if you live somewhere that doesn't allow you to dial your gear at performance levels it's time to move. Apartment living is the worst thing ever anyway.

Comment

I've been there. That's why I use different heads and cabs depending on the scenario. Bigger stages might be able to handle my 4x12 but i can get the job done with my 2x12 in most rooms.

I'm trying to talk myself out of getting a certain 1x12 amp as we type. Sometimes less can be more, and I'm the guy with six cabs, five heads, and two combos.
          green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

10" for win.

Try a 2 x10 with the right speakers....
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I'm going against the grain here but I'll speculate it's mainly the cab that's doing it for you.
              (open-backs and port-designs can absolutely sound much more lively than closed-backs at lower levels)

What type/brand of 112 is it anyways? Just curious on the specs since they come in so many dimensions and slotting-sizes.

Might be worth a shot to try the other speakers in the 112 and see if you don't like it even better.
              Last edited by dave74; 05-27-2017, 10:19 AM.

Comment

+1

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
                  I've been there. That's why I use different heads and cabs depending on the scenario. Bigger stages might be able to handle my 4x12 but i can get the job done with my 2x12 in most rooms.

I'm trying to talk myself out of getting a certain 1x12 amp as we type. Sometimes less can be more, and I'm the guy with six cabs, five heads, and two combos.
                  +1

My primary amp has been a Marshall Jubilee 2555 since mid-2001, first through a 4x12 loaded with blackback H30s and later through a ported 212 loaded with Emi Wizards. About a year ago I loaded an Egnater Rebel ported 112 with another Wizard. It sounds pretty much identical to my 212, but not as loud. Recently I acquired a Mini Jubilee head, so I now have essentially 3 (maybe 4) different versions of the same rig at different volumes.

1 - Mini @ 5W through the 112 is great for playing at home
                  2 - Mini @ 20W through the 112 works great for rehearsals or small gigs
                  3 - Mini @ 20W through the 212 for slightly bigger rooms
                  4 - 2555 @ 100W through the 212 for maximum volume
                  Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                  And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

I think your smaller box may be more focused ,and tighter , punchier and possibly with a less efficient speaker allowing you to juice the amp tubes more at about the same SPL as the bigger one which would probably sound better at higher volumes, or something like that. Get it up off the ground for more presence.
                    Last edited by MetalManiac; 05-27-2017, 04:17 PM.
                    "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Originally posted by MetalManiac View Post
                      I think your smaller box may be more focused ,and tighter , punchier and possibly with a less efficient speaker allowing you to juice the amp tubes more at about the same SPL as the bigger one which would probably sound better at higher volumes, or something like that. Get it up off the ground for more presence.
                      Strangely, that's not the case. The Wizard is an extremely efficient speaker, with sensitivity over 102db, so it's pretty damn loud.
                      I'll try doing that!

Comment

The smaller box is open back is it not? At lower volume it will sound fuller.

Comment

I used to always tilt combos back against a wall or corner for that very reason.
                          You get more of the front speaker sound combined with that almost sub sound from the back.

Comment

Not to mention the high end reflections. But when you want tight bass at higher volume, that's where the closed back shines.
                            I have a C-Rex in a convertible cab for my 5 watt Picovalve. I love the cleans and crunch with the cab open. But it gets way too loose with high gain. Closed and running at full volume, you could mistake it for something much bigger on a recording.

Comment

15W hitting a single 75w speaker vs. 15w split among 2 speakers one at 60W and the other at 100W? Of course the 1x12 is gonna have more Gas..Not to mention the higher SPL of the Wizard will have more of a "forward" tonality.
                              I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Working...
                              X