NAD Mesa Mark V:35

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NAD Mesa Mark V:35

Incredible overall tone. I really like the fat and crunch modes in channel 1 and mark IV mode in channel 2. The clean is Fender like with ample headroom. The cruch mode cuts out right after switching from channel 2 so Sweetwater is sending me another cable and footswitch. I have read others having footswitch issues. If it still cuts out then I will need to return it due to a possible bad relay. I thought the issue was a bad tube but rolled a good tube through the slots without a change. This amp is very versatile with many positive reviews. I bought the head and running it through a Mesa rectifier 2x12 cab. I still need to run my effects through the loop. Interested in hearing 35 user feedback.

Re: NAD Mesa Mark V:35

Cool amp for sure! Congrats!!

Comment

I bought a used V:35 combo in the green bronco, tan grill, brown leather handle and corners. Gorgeous amp. I have several Mesa amps, among them a DC-3.

The DC-3 does not have the various power levels, and the lead and rhythm channels are voiced differently than the V:35. The V:35 does have the SOLO feature and the CAB-CLONE, and these are handy features. The V:35 has a better (series) loop than the DC-3 (parallel), but both work well. They look the same, but my V:35 is shorter by an inch or so, so my Tuki cover for the DC-3 doesn't fit as well.

The V:35 has the Black Shadow C90, but I think I prefer the V30 in the DC-3. I may investigate getting a V:30, or perhaps the Mesa Fillmore, made by Eminence, that is being used in the Mesa Mini-Recto Reverb combo.

I have used both amps with a Mesa 112 EVM Thiele cab underneath. It really adds a lot of low-end punch, almost too much with the V:35. The V:35 sounds more like a big bottle amp (6L6) than the DC-3, which definitely sounds like an EL84 amp. I'm a big believer in using the Thiele cab whenever I can, whether I'm using a Mark III, IV or one of the EL84 amps.

In the V:35, I tend to use the FAT CLEAN mode and either the MARK IIC+ or MARK IV LEAD mode. There are a couple of songs where I use the CRUNCH CLEAN mode and just use the SOLO boost for my lead tone. I don't do metal--but we do darn near every other genre there is, so I don't need super-dirty tones. I like singing, Santana-esque tones. Both amps are very versatile, and handle both my 2HB Pauls and 335s as well as my single coil tones from my various G&L strat bodies. Fantastic chime with my DanElectro Innuendo 12-string.

I think 35-watts is a great size for the guy who's doing a lot of small-ish club gigs. Whether it's a combo with/without a Thiele, or head with a 212 or 412...or the Mini-Recto 112 Slant and Straight stack (which I have with my Mark V:25 head). If I hadn't found such a great deal on this Custom Shop combo, I was thinking about getting the V:35 head with the Vertical Recto 212. Tried one in the store and just loved it. The combo and Thiele are a bit more portable and have a smaller stage footprint, though. The Mini-Recto Stack cabs look cool as heck, sound fabulous with the V30s, and puts the amp nearly at eye-level...great for my old back!

And...if you are in a situation where you need more, you can plug into the PA with the CAB-CLONE; you don't need another open mic on stage susceptible to feedback. It's nice for recording and silent practice with headphones too.

Bottom line...this is a keeper. I love Mesa amps, and been using them since the early-'90s when I bought my Mark III half-stack. I have eight of them, and sold all my BF Fenders and Marshall amps. I have never regretted spending the extra money for a Mesa amp. They fit my style perfectly. I became a better player with them, and I'm always getting compliments on my tone. Very happy with these amps. The V:35 does not fit a unique role for me, as I already had the very similar DC-3 and the more powerful Mark III and Mark IV Simul-Class combos, but I really like it and I'm glad I bought it.

Bill
      When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback. 1st Mesa here. Between the price tag and all the moaning about how hard they are to dial in caused me to stay away. It took me less than 5 min per mode to dial in great tone.

No stranger to amps as I have a dozen. Been a dedicated Marshall fanboy since late 70's. Lately I have been playing my Orange Rocker 30 and JCM800 4104. I tried my chorus, reverb and delay pedals thru the loop today using the fat mode and it was awesome. I now gig about 20 times a year and look forward to using this amp. I suspect I will be selling off some amps due to non-use.

Comment

Yeah, don't understand guys who won't buy a Mesa because they're too complicated! LOL! I have actually heard this comment come out of the mouth of a guy who writes computer code all day long! WTF?

And of course, there's the guy who spends four-figures a year on boutique pedals with a pedalboard the size of Wyoming. He's spending more time bending over and fiddling with the 38 knobs on the floor than he is playing! But a Mesa is, "...too complicated." Really?

Oh, and then there's the guy that wants just a single channel amp. And it HAS to be tubes! But...he's got two or three dirt boxes...SOLID STATE dirt boxes. Me? I've never heard any SS dirt box sing like the TUBES in the LEAD channel of my Boogies.

Everybody's different, and there are a lot of ways to get the job done. But it's never made any sense at all to me to claim that Mesa's are, "...too complicated."

I am Homo Sapiens. I learn. I will never be intimidated by a piece of gear. I'm smarter than that.

Bill
          Last edited by Boogie Bill; 06-05-2017, 01:44 PM.
          When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Congrats!!!

I just got a used Mark V 90 combo and the matching cabinet- I would've got the Mark V:35 but I wanted the Mark I mode on channel 2 to do Santana type leads- but the 35 is a hella lighter in weight and the Cab Clone sure helps!!!

They're not t all complicated to dial in, it just takes a little learning how the controls interact with each other.

Comment

Congrats on the new amp! And as Boogie-Bill said, this one is definitely a keeper!

Comment

Working...
              X