18 watt all tube amp, 6.5 lbs - Khan Pak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 18 watt all tube amp, 6.5 lbs - Khan Pak

We had the lunchbox craze some years back; now comes the tiny amp revolution.

There's the Vox MV50 (50 watts at 4 ohms, 1 pound), the Orange Micros from a few years back, and pedalboard clean amps like the SD PowerStage 170 (2 lbs.), ISP Stealth Ultra-Lite (0.9 lbs), and the various Quilter Blocks.

Now here's an 18-watt all-tube head that's 9 inches wide, 7 inches deep, 2.5 inches tall, and about 6.5 lbs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Jan17_LNU_KhanAudio_KhanPak_WEB.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	5844561

Specs:

(2) 6AQ5 Power tubes (2) 12AX7 Preamp tubes
    Single channel and Dual channel models
    18 watts or 9 watts switchable
    Gain and Master controls
    3 Band EQ with Bright and mid boost switches
    Mid boost foot switchable
    Buffered (pedal level) effects loop
    16 and 8 ohm Impedance selector
    Speaker Compensated line out
    Internal Load resistor for silent use
    Cooling fan with on/off switch

Evidently this head is British-voiced. The gold faceplate sort of matches Marshall cabs. Footswitchable mids boost is cool.

Made in USA, street price is $899 for Single Channel and $1199 for Dual Channel versions.

The initial reports from Gear Pages suggest plexi/Orange kind of sounds, which is intriguing. Sometimes I wish Marshall had cheaper low-watt plexi-voiced amps, so this may scratch that itch.

Re: 18 watt all tube amp, 6.5 lbs - Khan Pak

Cool info, thanks but 6AQ5s are small inexpensive and have a definite EL84 sound. It may be conveniently small but instead of a grand for this you could get a Bassbreaker 15 head for 600 or less and have an amp that probably sounds better.

Comment

Cool it has tubes tho... Visually, looks like a gold painted crate power block
      Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Is it a fire hazard though?
        "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

I've tried one of these at Killer Vintage. It's not a fire hazard. Khan designs for Magnatone and worked for Ampeg, Crate, and had partnered with the dude from Stagecraft to do Reason amps. It definitely sounds way better than a Bassbreaker! You're literally getting an amp from one of the better builders out there. Of course, I'm a fan since I have a Reason Bambino which was a sort of like the first iteration of this idea but lunchbox sized and even lower output (2 to 8 watts). I'm considering buying two of these in the future now that there are more versions out.

Comment

Those have been out a few years now, they sound great in the videos, wouldn't mind trying one.

Comment

i met him a few times over the years, cool guy and makes some great amps. i got to play with bo diddley and johnny johnson with a "crate" that obeid built for billy gibbons years ago. like 15+ now that im thinking about it

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                i met him a few times over the years, cool guy and makes some great amps. i got to play with bo diddley and johnny johnson with a "crate" that obeid built for billy gibbons years ago. like 15+ now that im thinking about it
                That's cool on about 3 different levels!

Comment

oh it was a great night in st louis. hitting on billys gf for an hour before he showed up, not knowing who she was other than a tall hot older blonde who was into blues, rock, guitars, motorcycles and cars... good times

Comment

Working...
                  X