• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sad day.

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
    So.... Carvin X60 combo then?

You can replace it for less, you know?

Also, are x50b and x100b heads close enough, or unacceptable replacements? What about x60b heads?
    Well, I think that it's the 2x12 combo version of the x100b. 4 6l6's in the power section.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
      Well, I think that it's the 2x12 combo version of the x100b. 4 6l6's in the power section.

200-300 bucks used for the head. Swap into the combo if it fits, use combo chassis as a caninet if not
      "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
        200-300 bucks used for the head. Swap into the combo if it fits, use combo chassis as a caninet if not
        the op mentioned that in post #4
        EHD
        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Ok, might have a Spidervalve on the way as a replacement. Keep your fingers crossed...

Comment

Did you ever figure out where the smoke came from on the x amp?

The early models (pretty much all that were made in the 80s) had a major design flaw in the 15v power supply section that powered the opamps in the circuit. They used an antiquated design with under-spec parts that eventually overheat and burn up. I've owned 2 x100b heads from 84 & 87 and both had the problem.

I can't remember the website address but there is a site that talks about it and how to fix it properly, which I did mine. It's not really a DIY task so I'd recommend a tech doing it. Not sure what it would cost but I can guarantee most of the cost is labor 'cause the parts are very cheap. While you're at it, I'd have all the electrolytic caps replaced. After that it should be ready to rock again for years to come.

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Comment

Haven't taken and opened it up yet. Given that I have scored a killer deal on a Line 6 Spider Valve, I'm probably not going to mess with it for a while. I'll just use it as a 2x12 cab.

Comment

Working...
              X