Best cheap bass amp?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best cheap bass amp?

Does anybody here know of any decent bass combo amplifiers for under $300? One of my friends wants to learn bass and he doesn't know where to start. He already got an old squier P bass for free off of me, but he doesn't have an amp.

Re: Best cheap bass amp?

If he only needs a practice amp, look for a used Line 6 Low Down or an Ampeg BA112 or BA115. The Ampeg Rocket Bass series may also be of interest, but they tend to be a little more expensive. GK also makes a few smaller combos, but I'm not very familiar with their recent products.

You'll have a hard time finding something decent for $300 new.
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

the Peavey Max series work well

the Carvin Micro series

the TC Electronics 250 watt

here look at the GC used site for the used ones
      something here will fill the need for the price
      EHD
      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
        If he only needs a practice amp, look for a used Line 6 Low Down or an Ampeg BA112 or BA115. The Ampeg Rocket Bass series may also be of interest, but they tend to be a little more expensive. GK also makes a few smaller combos, but I'm not very familiar with their recent products.

You'll have a hard time finding something decent for $300 new.
        No you won't. Fender Rumble series will be your best friend.
        Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
        Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
        Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
        Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
        Line 6 Helix
        Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

My son and I both have older Behringer Ultrabass amps. I thing the Bugera brand is on all their amps now. I don't play bass much any more, I just dust them off and noodle once in a while. But my son played in the school band and used the Behringer for 3 or 4 years. The second one I used on occasion but, it was mainly meant to be his spare amp. I figured his amp would get stolen which is why we went cheap. And if that didn't happen, it would die. It didn't get stolen and they wont die. Just lucky I guess. And they don't sound half bad, especially for what they cost.

Just relaying the story here ... I'm not suggesting buying a Behringer/Bugera bass amp.

Besides the Fender Rumble that Johnny suggests above, I think you can also pick up an Acoustic 100 watter and maybe the entry level Ampeg for 300 or less, new.

Comment

The latest Fender Rumble series (silver grill cloth) is great! The 100W combo would be a good option, and they should be available used now. Peaveys are also a great option.
            Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Another suggestion for a Fender Rumble. Those things are awesome.

My dad has a small GK practice bass amp that sounds absolutely amazing for such a small size, sounds even better running direct into Garageband.

Comment

I'd suggest that your friend buy a used amp, because he'll get much more amp for the same money. Not many good bass combos over 100 watts new for $300, but he could get a much higher wattage amp by buying used. 100 watts is fine for learning on, but when he starts to play with drums and other instruments, it gets small. Here's a good one on the guitar center used gear site. 450 watts as is, and has capability to go up to 600 watts with another cabinet hooked up, as well as having a variable DI to run it to a PA.

Find what you are looking for at Guitar Center with the GuitarCenter.com site map. Browse by product, brand and more
                - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
                Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
                The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

Maybe you've had good luck with Acoustic, I'm not a fan at all...take a Fender over it anyday.

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
                    the Peavey Max series work well.
                    Yup. Love my MAX 112. Sweet little amp with switchable modern and vintage voicing.

Originally posted by Johnny the Kid View Post
                    Fender Rumble series will be your best friend.
                    But I also like these. This is what I was looking at when shopping for the Peavey.

Comment

I would look for a used Peavey Combo 300 or TNT model.

Bill
                      When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Check your local craigslist, offerup, letitgo, etc. around here, used Peavey bass amps, used GK, etc are cheap. For practice, (as artie said) the Peavey Max is a great choice. I picked one up at a pawn shop for $10 because the sales guy said "somethings wrong with it". I grabbed a cord, plugged it in and farted around. turned out, the input jack was a bit wonky. Told the fella it was an easy fix, but he didn't want to hassle with it.

Used KB60's (keyboard amps that work splendidly for bass) can be had to less than $100. I've had three and the most I paid was $60. There is a sweet GK 250 watt bass head at the local pawn shop for $125. I just did a quick perusal of craigslist and found a carvin pro bass 100 1X15 for $150. a peavey tnt for $45. A vintage 2x15 standel bass amp for $320. Carvin PB 200 for $150. there are many. many more, but I'll stop now!

I guess what I'm trying to say is your friend can find a sweet amp that will more that suit his needs for a lot less than $300. Patience and persistence may be required where you live, but buying used is the only way to go in my (not so humble!) opinion.

Comment

I have a fender Rumble 40
                          It has not let me down at all. Love the tonal versatility, easy to use, cheap, headphone out, aux in, XLR out, and it's pretty loud and I read that built in compression kicks in as you get louder. Works great.

Comment

I have a Rumble 75. I tilted it back, turned the volume up, and it filled the basketball arena at my university. 10/10 would buy again.
                            Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
                            Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
                            Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
                            Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
                            Line 6 Helix
                            Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

Old Carvin, Peavey or Hartke 1x15" combos... $150-200 used

Dont bother with GK Backline, they kinda suck
                              "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Working...
                              X