Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp to garageband during silent practice question

hey folks!!

currently I use garageband to practice songs by slowing down parts. I am using a apogee jam 96k with garageband amps to pick up mistakes that i would make unnoticed if playing unplugged.

I would like to use a tube amp for headphone practice with garangeband instead, with hopes of having a nicer amp setting during practice. What simplest setup for this?

Some options i can think of now:
    1. something like a Blackstar HT1 through a USB audio interface to garageband
    2. garangeband output to Blackstar HT1 then listen using headphones on emulated output

Is there anything simpler than this? The simpler the better.

Using a amp with a mic is currently not an option cos of loudness.

thank you very much and cheers
    On Munky of Korn:

munky.. they got respect for him.. he's the jimi hendrix of our era

Re: Amp to garageband during silent practice question

I use iRig when I can
    My Bands -
    https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
    www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
    www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
    GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

I would use a USB interface with speaker output and headphone monitoring like a Presonus Audiobox iTwo or a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. This way you don't fry your audio interface as these two products support line level as well as instrument/microphone level audio. You will also have better control of the audio coming in and going out.

Comment

I do use the aux in and headphone jack on my Mustang or my Micro Terror as well. The MT has a lousy sounding headphone out for the guitar sound though.
        My Bands -
        https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
        www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
        www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
        GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

That's why I use the headphones on the interface. Amp outs can be really dirty even on headphone out.

Comment

A valve amplifier needs to have a load on it at all times when powered on. That means you will either need an amp with an internal load (Vox Lil Night Train, et al) or an attenuator with a LOAD setting (THD Hot Plate, Rivera Rock Crusher, et al) to get the signal out of your amplifier. And then you would still need to apply impulse responses to get anything close to the sound of a mic'd cab, unless the amp also has an emulated output. Finally you will need a way of converting your audio signal to USB (audio interface, dongle, et al).

Basically, all the additinal kerfuffle really will NOT add anything special to your tone, especially when practicing.

When I am practicing I use an iPad running Cubasis feeding into a Blackstar Fly's line level input. Guitar goes into the instrument input. Headphone out. Done. Has plenty of usable sounds for practice, costs only $60 all in, plus the stereo mini cable.
            Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
            My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

iPad has a line/mic input as well as USB via Lightning, 30 pin or now USB C. Most Macs give much better audio through a USB Interface. The analog input on a Mac is a little dirty and poorly grounded. I use Garageband on IPhone, iPad and MacBook Pro. What ever is convenient and all work well. So yes, your setup will work, but I'd upgrade to a better interface for about $130 and get a set of monitors if you record your practice sessions. I record mine and sometimes they go into a demo.

Comment

Use Jamup instead of the amp models in
                Garageband. Great tones!
                “The hell with the rules. If it sounds right, then it is.” - Edward Van Halen

Comment

Rocksmith for console or PC
                  OR
                  Rocksmith cable + Peavey Revalver
                  "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

I like the IK Media AmpliTube stuff better and you can integrate them into GarageBand.

Comment

Working...
                    X