Prodigal Guitarist - amp questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prodigal Guitarist - amp questions

Explained in another thread how I am just getting back into guitar after a 32 year layoff.

Amplifier choices have changed a lot in 32 years. After a lot of searching and trying things in music stores I have narrowed down to two contenders:

Vox vt20x

Vox adio air gt (this is a new product very similar to the Yamaha THR10).

My two main criteria are 1: I really like the Vox sound, 2: I need to be able to get the sounds I want while playing quietly. If 2: wasn't on the list and I was working with a bigger budget, I would just get a real Vox tube amp. But for now both of the choices I listed above meet those top two criteria.

The biggest attraction for me about the adio air GT is the connectivity with usb, bluetooth, and digital recording onto my computer. I also like how portable it is and the option of using battery power.

For about the same money I could get the vt20x plus a digital USB interface, plus a halfway decent mic. That gives me a more capable standalone amp and more home studio toys, but less portability and connectivity.

Do any of you players here who have been keeping up with these things have any insights on my choices? Would appreciate any suggestions or pointing out anything that I have not thought of.

PS, if it helps, I will primarily be playing an Ibanez ES335 copy and a variety of styles. My two favorite sounds are a bright clean with a touch of reverb, delay, or chorus, and a warm moderately overdriven sound.

Re: Prodigal Guitarist - amp questions

Fender just released a line of amps for short money, and​ I have heard nothing but good. Modeling I believe, but very easy to work with, and good tones. I'm looking at the 100 watt 2x12 for about $400 right now.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
      Fender just released a line of amps for short money, and​ I have heard nothing but good. Modeling I believe, but very easy to work with, and good tones. I'm looking at the 100 watt 2x12 for about $400 right now.

I tried the Mustang GT 40. It did a great job recreating the classic Fender amps to my rusty ear at least, and it had a blue million effects and models and sounds. Also a USB line out, which the vt20x really needs.

But it lost me on two things: 1) difficult to play very quiet, and 2) difficult for me at least to navigate all the menus and options and variants. Partly my issue, being 32 years out of touch, I don't even know what 75% of those options even mean.

Again to my rusty ear, it seems all these companies do a great job modeling their own classic amps, but stretch a bit doing others' ... And I just like the Vox sound.

Comment

Then it would appear that your decision is made.
        Vox is making some good stuff these days.

Comment

Vox just released a new line of micro-amps, using a mini tube in the preamp (not modeling) and a solid-state 50-watt output stage. One of them is Vox-voiced, with other models for Marshall and Fender tones. With the SS output, volume control should maintain the "tone" all the way down to very quiet, but it will still have the power for rehearsals of gigs. The reports I've seen indicate they sound very good. Worth checking out.
          Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
          Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

Originally posted by Rich_S View Post
            Vox just released a new line of micro-amps, using a mini tube in the preamp (not modeling) and a solid-state 50-watt output stage. One of them is Vox-voiced, with other models for Marshall and Fender tones. With the SS output, volume control should maintain the "tone" all the way down to very quiet, but it will still have the power for rehearsals of gigs. The reports I've seen indicate they sound very good. Worth checking out.
            I saw a YouTube demo of those. Given the limitations of my ear and listening through YouTube, they sound pretty darn good. One thing that was a little bit of a turn off for an entry-level beginner person is not having any on board effects.

For my main criteria, being able to get a reasonable approximation of Vox tube sounds without having to spend a jillion dollars or play super loud, it seems like there are multiple choices that will do quite well.

My secondary criteria has to do with interfacing between the real world and computer world. Making recordings onto my computer, playing along with music that is stored on my computer in digital format, etc. The adio air gt is great for this kind of stuff, but it's less capable as a real-world amp.

I guess my question is can I get those computer interfacing capabilities with a more conventional amp, and if so how, or am I really looking at an either-or choice between real life amp performance vs ease of computer interfacing?

Or maybe another question, for people who have a Yamaha thr10 or similar, how much am I going to miss having a conventional amp if this is the only thing I have for a while?

Comment

Vox makes great stuff; however, I would caution going off of YouTube videos/sound clips...there are a ton of variables in play on a YouTube video.

What is your price range for the amp?

Line6 is the brand that first comes to mind.

Also, some more traditional amps have adapted for recording purposes (the Fender Bassbreaker is just one example) and while you can't adjust the actual settings and such on a computer–you won't have to mic the amp.

If you are really wanting the "Vox" sound then I would stick with Vox, they have great sounding gear at multiple price points.

Comment

What about the Boss Katana amps?

They are getting very good reviews, and apparently their interface is not that complicated to operate. They have a ton of onboard effects as well, including recreations of classic Boss pedals.
                I'd give that a go if I was you.
                Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Vox MV50's are made for what you are asking and have the ability to run into a cab. Line out/headphones for di recording/listening, speaker out, and it's true tube sound.

Comment

Yes, boss katana
                    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Vox Adio Air = $300??

Check craigslist and ebay, that can EASILY get you in the door for all-tube amps.

With music gear, used market is the natural first stop. Most of the best stuff isnt produced anymore or they changed it and it sucks.

...no shame in shopping for a used Stradivari, theyre ~ALL~ used
                      Last edited by Adieu; 06-15-2017, 10:46 PM.
                      "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Working...
                      X