banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Small & Affordable Cabinet That Goes Well With The Orange Micro Dark Head?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small & Affordable Cabinet That Goes Well With The Orange Micro Dark Head?

I need a small (1x8) and affordable (~$100-120) cabinet that goes well with the Orange Micro Dark Head. I heard the PPC108 cab that would normally come with it sounds shrill and small. Any thoughts/experiences? Thanks.

Re: Small & Affordable Cabinet That Goes Well With The Orange Micro Dark Head?

Change the speaker of that cab, Jensen and celestion have some good 8 inch speakers, and affordable as well.Cant think of any good 8 inch cabs of my head.

Sent from my SCV33 using Tapatalk

Comment

used Peavey or Carvin 1 x 12
      EHD
      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Nobody is going to make a better 1x8 for that amp than the company that designed it. I can't even think of any other 1x8 guitar cabs on the market. All 8 inch speakers will sound harsh and small compared to the big, warm 12s most guitar amps use. I'd just get the Orange cab and don't expect too much from a tiny practice amp.
        green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
          All 8 inch speakers will sound harsh and small compared to the big, warm 12s most guitar amps use. I'd just get the Orange cab and don't expect too much from a tiny practice amp.
          Yep! I find the Orange Micro series doesn't really bloom until the speaker size is at least a 12. I use a 1x15 or 2x12 cab with mine, the sound is killer.

Comment

Cool! will do the 1x12, ty

Comment

Oh and don't forget the Laney Cub 2x12 that's only $199 on Amazon right now
              EHD
              Just here surfing Guitar Pron
              RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
              SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
              Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
              Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
              Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
              Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
              GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
                Oh and don't forget the Laney Cub 2x12 that's only $199 on Amazon right now
                Nice suggestion. That combo would slay. I think the OP would be very happy with that cab and the Micro.

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
                  used Peavey or Carvin 1 x 12
                  Used Peavey or Carvin 1x12 or 2x12, choose based on what speakers are inside.

Do NOT take their word for it though, check before handing over cash.

For frontloaders, oftentines unscrewing a recessed handle and shining a flashlight inside is the fastest way to check
                  "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Nobody is going to make a better 1x8 for that amp than the company that designed it. I can't even think of any other 1x8 guitar cabs on the market. All 8 inch speakers will sound harsh and small compared to the big, warm 12s most guitar amps use. I'd just get the Orange cab and don't expect too much from a tiny practice amp.
                    Ludicrous.

On the contrary, the paired cab sold with a low price entry level amp model will usually combine the cheapest materials and worst speakers on the market.

Something like a V30 or CL80 / MC90 in any old cab or even an unloaded combo chassis or monitor will walk all over that thing.

Alternatively, get some busted or POS 1x12 ss combo for$20-30, gut it for the box itself, and toss in a used Celestion for $40-75 depending on model.

Or -- build your own. Its not that hard and DIY cabinets sound surprisingly good.

Comment

Originally posted by Adieu View Post
                      Ludicrous.

On the contrary, the paired cab sold with a low price entry level amp model will usually combine the cheapest materials and worst speakers on the market.

Something like a V30 or CL80 / MC90 in any old cab or even an unloaded combo chassis or monitor will walk all over that thing.

Alternatively, get some busted or POS 1x12 ss combo for$20-30, gut it for the box itself, and toss in a used Celestion for $40-75 depending on model.

Or -- build your own. Its not that hard and DIY cabinets sound surprisingly good.
                      None of the speakers you mentioned are 8 inches in diameter but thanks for calling my opinions ludicrous and then posting a paragraph that had nothing to do with the topic anyway. Your towering intellect has certainly impressed the entire internet.
                      green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

1x8 cab? WTF?! Even my monitor speakers use 8-inch speakers, and I got 2 of 'em (M-Audio BX8a) for everyday use.

Comment

I don't know about 10 inch speakers, but I've never heard anything with 8 inch speakers worth my time at least.
                          12 inch speakers are the norm, for good reasons. They just sound right.
                          Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                          Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                          Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                          Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

None of the speakers you mentioned are 8 inches in diameter but thanks for calling my opinions ludicrous and then posting a paragraph that had nothing to do with the topic anyway. Your towering intellect has certainly impressed the entire internet.
                            90% sure OP is talking about 1x8 due to price concerns... 1x12 isn't THAT outrageously bigger or heavier

Originally posted by Diego View Post
                            I don't know about 10 inch speakers, but I've never heard anything with 8 inch speakers worth my time at least.
                            12 inch speakers are the norm, for good reasons. They just sound right.
                            This
                            Last edited by Adieu; 06-19-2017, 10:16 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X