New Amp Review. Boss Acoustic Singer Live

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Amp Review. Boss Acoustic Singer Live

Let's get this out of the way. First: price...$500. Second: I like it a lot. I have had a Fishman Loudbox mini ($330) for some time and though great too it lacks a few bells and whistles that you get with the Boss.

The ASL is the little brother to Boss' Acoustic Singer Pro ($700). Both units sport the same features save power (60 vs 120 watts) and woofer (6" vs 8"). For me the smaller unit just makes more sense. I save 200 bucks. I save weight and I save space. The extra 60 watts only buys me a few dB and the 6" woofer more than holds its weight. If I need more rig I can always daisy chain more gear via Direct Out.

Handy features include phantom power, Direct Out for both channels that can be configured solo dry, solo wet or global wet and an 1/8" aux in with level control. The latter comes in handy for hooking a music player for break music. There are all manner of FS jacks on the rear for the looper, harmonizer and controlling the FX. So far I've just used a switch to toggle the harmonizer on/off. The harmonizer works well..listening to you guitar chords and usually guessing correctly. It has a level control and three settings: up a 3rd, unison and down a 5th.

The reverbs sound great, the chorus? ...well it's Boss, so you know what to expect there. The delay on the mic channel is limited to a quick slap but mixed low it adds thickness without getting in the way. With my old Fishman I used to carry a small FX board with a TC Voice Create for vocal delay and phantom power and a Boss Chorus. With the Boss, I can leave it home simplifying set-up...just three cords...power, mic and guitar.

Other things around front...a tweeter attenuate button that knocks oh I'd say 3dB off the top end also the unit remembers where you left it even if you turn it off...nice. The mute function is welcome but since it also mutes the aux in it's not quite as handy as a "break switch."

I've played a few back yard parties with the Boss (and the Fishman) and honestly both boxes really work a treat. The last saw a few other guys like me who play and sing and we just kept taking turns all night. It was nice to just listen to the rigs and it's wonderful how much PA you can get out of such a tiny little box. The Boss is slightly bigger and heavier than the Fishman but still very small at about 14" wide and 11" tall.

I also have a Fishman SA220 (the "Fish Stick" as I like to call it.) It's a much larger and more powerful rig but since these two "lunch pail" rigs have come my way I haven't had much use for it.
    Last edited by SlyFoxx; 06-20-2017, 03:39 PM.

Re: New Amp Review. Boss Acoustic Singer Live

Thank you
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Re: New Amp Review. Boss Acoustic Singer Live

Very interesting, thanks for the review!

Comment

Working...
      X