Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• matching speaker wattage to my 15W amp

Hello all,

I have an amazing little Laney VC15 watt amp that I use for practice and some small gigs around town.
    I have been playing it thru a old ADA 2X12 Cab with those crappy 75W celestion speakers.
    Because I play at a lower volume, I am looking at switching out the speakers with maybe 25W greenbacks.

I play 70s and 80s rock mostly and I am looking to get a smoother sound coming out of the speakers at a lower volume. The speaker in the cab now provide a beefier sound but they do not break up as easy and the sound seem to be not as smooth.

I understand about matching Ohms and all that. I am looking for suggestions on replacement speakers that will give me a smoother distortion at bedrooms levels, while remaining tight and responsive; also if I want to take it to jam and put the amp up around 6 or 7 (about 10-15 watts).
    The Amp has a 10inch speaker and while it is smooth sounding, it lacks definition and punch.

Any ideas?

Re: matching speaker wattage to my 15W amp

I personally find G12EVH's or even Creamback M's do better at lower volumes and respond more predictably across several volume levels than the standard MIC Greenbacks. Standard Classic 25W Greenbacks are great speakers, but they definitely like to be pushed a little, IME.

Comment

I guess my question should be, I need to get a lower watt speaker like a 20 or 25W correct?
      Seems the higher wattage speaker does not do well with a lower wattage am correct?

Comment

It all depends, I replaced the speaker in my vintage Princeton Reverb with an eminence Ragin Cajun (75W) and it loves it....
        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by Tufts View Post
          I guess my question should be, I need to get a lower watt speaker like a 20 or 25W correct?
          Seems the higher wattage speaker does not do well with a lower wattage am correct?
          Not necessarily.

I remember reading an article where the guys at Celestion mention they could make a 100-watt speaker that broke up when it saw 1 watt of power, and a 1 watt speaker that would stay clean all the way before blowing up, but I can't seem to find it.

Either way, some speakers just do great a lower volumes even if they're high-powered. Creamback M's are one of them, IME.

If you're dead set on lower-powered speakers, I personally think the G12EVH plays nicer at lower volumes than the Classic G12M. I personally prefer it at any volume, lol.
          Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 06-30-2017, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Can't you go to the local store and try out few speakers @Tufts ? It is hard to find an answer in the internet as it is just matter of the personal taste

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Tufts View Post
              Not necessarily so. Speaker 'breakup' is not something I care for. You should select the speaker on its other characteristics that appeal to you. Anything 25 watts (total cabinet rating) and up is fine for power handling capability for a 15 watt amp, so for your purpose, choices are nearly unlimited. A good 10" for the amp itself is an Emi. Ragin Cajun....but that's a matter of taste (mine). Listen to all the demos and sound bytes you can find to aid in your selection.

I've played a 150 watt speaker with a 13 watt amp and liked the sound very much.
              Last edited by IM4Tone; 06-30-2017, 09:45 PM.

Comment

Even a 15W speaker like Alnico Blue might comfort him, if he likes its sound character. It is a very loud speaker as well

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

Comment

if the cannabis rex can smooth out a blues jr the way it does I have a feeling it would do well with the laney

Comment

Working...
                  X