Rockman Tone in 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Rockman Tone in 2017

I haven't, and I must admit having grown very tired of the pedal format in recent years. Still, that might be worth looking at if it is any good. Has anybody else tried it?

Comment

Always liked Tom's tone but his modular systems are just too complex for today.

In the 70's his power soak Marshall tone was to die for & in the early 80's i got a Rockman.

A couple 100 watt Marshalls & good guitars and im good.

The Rockman's these days sound thin & twangy to me.

Comment

That DOES look like a mad scientist's lab, now doesn't it? Coming to think of it, that might not be so far away from the truth.

Comment

Originally posted by Sirion View Post
          That DOES look like a mad scientist's lab, now doesn't it? Coming to think of it, that might not be so far away from the truth.
          The MIDI Octopus is aptly named, even with a smaller Rockman Rockmodule stash like my own.

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
            One of these days when I have time I'm going to do vids on all my Rockman gear; separate and combined.

I have X100B, Sustainor, Distortion Generator, Stereo Chorus, Stereo Delay, MIDI Octopus
            Id love to hear those demos!
            Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by zamdrang View Post
              I will keep you in mind!

Dave Accomando at perfectsoundrockrefurbs is who fixed mine. I thought his price was pretty reasonable, and he was great to work with. But yes your location would add to the price in an unpleasant way.
              yeah, Dave refurbed my rack unit for me too
              Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Ok so maybe one of the purists can help me

The Rockman tone is typified by
                Chorus
                Overdrive
                Compression
                And some EQ

Could I get something similar
                By stacking these pedals.together?

And if so
                Which order?

Is there some special sauce?
                EHD
                Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                  Understood. However, most of the people using/owning these units are collectors or nostalgic. When is the last time a Rockman was used outside of someone's bedroom? There is plenty of gear out there that is no longer manufactured that is sought after for music production. A lot of the analogue synths come to mind, or a vintage electric piano, Wurlitzers or Rhoades. Most decent recording studios also have a vintage Fender blackface somewhere. You will not find SR&D gear in the studio or the stage. The tone just does not translate to any form of music in the past 30 years.
                  This guy's a home player. I don't think that's his bedroom though:

It's one of those 500 watt Rockman Guitar Monitors. He just posted it in August.

Comment

Man, that lead sound!

Comment

Originally posted by Sirion View Post
                      Man, that lead sound!
                      Here's another demonstration. This is a "White face" Sustainor by itself with no chorus or delay:

Comment

Originally posted by rbc View Post
                        This guy's a home player. I don't think that's his bedroom though:

It's one of those 500 watt Rockman Guitar Monitors. He just posted it in August.
                        Welcome, RBC - I'm on your Rockman forum.

Comment

Here's another recent demo of a "white face" Sustainor that focuses on duplicating the Boston sound. I know that's not for everyone. It's interesting in that he used a hybrid Sustainor/GarageBand lineup. Here it is:

Comment

Hah! I was already 3 minutes into this on YouTube when I saw this!

Comment

Originally posted by LesStrat View Post
                              I believe the Rev was using it during this period:

Afterburner was recorded using a Gallien-Krueger 250 ml...which could easily be dialed in to the Guitar Institute of Technology mandatory 89's sound.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Comment

My favorite Satriani Rockman Ad is the one for the Rockman Guitar Monitor:

Comment

Working...
                                X