Rockman Tone in 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Rockman Tone in 2017

I've always wondered about that record. The cleans are obviously Rockman, but it is hard to tell what George used sometimes. He used to have a fairly detailed outline of his gear on his webpage, and thanks to Archive.org we can still recover it:

https://web.archive.org/web/20031226...ockstudio.html

"I use an old Ibanez Tube Screamer or a Boss GE-7 to preamp my amps a little. Other than that, I don't use pedals except an A/B switch to throw on another guitar. I go stereo out of a Lexicon PCM-41 with 28 milliseconds of delay to fatten up my rhythms." Also pictured here two Rocktron HUSH II-C's to keep things quiet on both sides of stereo application. A Rockman Distortion Generator was used to push the signal a little more to the power section. Used in A/B switching, there is also a Rockman X100-B in a Rockmount for a chorused clean signal. While using the clean alongside the high gain in an A + B application in tandem, Lynch describes the sound as "giving it a a bit of a shimmer and percussion"…

This is the image of the rig as presented:

Click image for larger version

Name:	underlockrack[1].jpg
Views:	1
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	5804474

There is also a slightly larger version of the rack:

Name:	underlockrackb[1].jpg
Views:	2
Size:	12.4 KB
ID:	5804475

Now, we can't tell for certain if what is shown here is exactly what he ended up using everywhere, as I would guess that they went through a significant amount of gear in the process, but I cannot get what I see here to fit exactly with what George is saying. It is obvious that neither unit pictured is a Distortion Generator:

The images themselves aren't terribly clear, but it looks to me like we have an early, blue-face Sustainor (the whiteface was not yet in production) and a Stereo Echo/Chorus:

Below is obviously the X100 in a Rockmount.

From the phrasing, it sounds like he used the Sustainor as a distortion unit to power his Marshalls. His rig did, at least, not seem to contain any dedicated power amps.

…and yes, George did indeed use a Tube Screamer to go with it!

Name:	pedals[1].jpg
Size:	5.1 KB
ID:	5804476

Now, George doesn't say anything about having used them on the road, but on this picture from the following tour it looks like he has two Rockmounts at the top of his rack (see where the cables are put in; there can't be many units where the input is located there):

If his page is to be believed, George shortly dropped the Rockmans thereafter, but who knows? He has always had magnificent tones, though, and his cleans in particular have always been very characteristic… even if they came from a box that supposedly only can do Scholz.

Comment

Originally posted by Sirion View Post
      Ha! I was aware that it was the most replied to this year, but not that! What is the most replied to?
      I'm guessing it's a Crate brand amp thread...

Comment

Apparently a Marshall DSL thread. And that is fair – they are good amps too, if not nearly as iconic

Comment

If I recall correctly, George used 2 x Rockman units (housed in Rockmounts) into 2 x JCM800 100 watt Marshall heads (into effects return) for the ULAK studio tracks. One for clean - the other for distortion. The Rockman rack unit seen in the first two pics is the original (model 100) Sustainor/Chorus-Echo unit from 1986. Per my experience, the model 200 Sustainor was voiced exclusively for full-range speaker use. The model 100 was voiced for guitar speaker cabinet or full-range speakers. The original (model 100) has an absolutely wicked DIST mode! More tube-like for sure. To get that sound from a model 200, you have to use it with full-range speakers, but IMO it still doesn't sound as good.
          Last edited by 67Mopar; 12-18-2017, 12:16 AM.

Comment

Regarding the other amps George used, the aforementioned page tells that:

"The workhorse amplifier setup consisted of 1968 and 1971 100-watt Marshall Super Lead heads powering vintage Marshall cabinets with metal handles, green Tolex and 25/30-watt speakers. In a couple of these 4x12" boxes Lynch installed Fane speakers pulled from Vox Bulldog cabinets. He also employed a variety of other amplifiers for the LP.

"George used a mix of these different Marshall set-ups in the studio which resulted with a clean power section to preamp through. Included here are two 1968 Marshall plexi heads and a 100-watt Marshall Super Tremolo that were modified by Lee Jackson of Metaltronix, fitting them with 6550 power tube sections."

There are so many stories of George (and others) using modded vintage Marshalls, and they are indeed in the same photos as the Rockman units, so I wonder if there might be more to it than JCM 800s, but I guess it is hard to say for certain by this point.

It is cool that you are lauding the 100 Sustainors. Everybody else seems to speak more highly of the 200, yet seem to keep one of either around, just in case. It is also a unit that would be far easier to justify starting a rig with, since it is still cheap and plentiful.

Comment

Yes, the IIB and model 100 are classics!

The 'hard clipping' of the model 200 could be described as being more modern voiced. The 'soft-clipping' of the model 100 is a warmer, spongier, more vintage type sound. VOX-like, almost.
              Last edited by 67Mopar; 12-18-2017, 07:06 PM.

Comment

Rockman is so 80's ... had one in the early days, they were like $400 bucks then.

I still have a Hot Watt but i don't use it.

Rockmans show up on CL here regularly.
                Last edited by JMP/HBE; 12-19-2017, 05:10 AM.

Comment

That Arion HW is in top condition! I remember seeing them back in the day, but never picked one up. Don't know how it compares to a Rockman? Not too good, I suppose. As I recall, they were priced under $100.00 USD.
                  Last edited by 67Mopar; 12-19-2017, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 67Mopar View Post
                    That Arion HW is in top condition! I remember seeing them back in the day, but never picked one up. Don't know how it compares to a Rockman? Not too good, I suppose... As I recall, they were priced under $100.00 USD.
                    I used to Hot Rod [line out] a JMP 2204 with one in the 80's. They sound alright but the Rockmans sounded a bit better.
                    I could take my guitar and this unit to the beach in Florida, play anywhere, it is a cool device.

Comment

It definitely does not have all the bells and whistles of the rack mount offerings, but I typically just plug into my old X100.

Name:	x100.JPG
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	5804497

If GK is still in business, I seem to recall they get close to the Rockman tone.
                      Last edited by JamesPaul; 12-19-2017, 02:50 PM.
                      I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

Geez! I forgot about the 2x8 GK combo. Sounded amazing for its size and had switchable analog chorus/delay. I wish SR&D would have made the chorus/echo module to where you could combine both effects... Had they done this, I'd construct a single space head-box with a class D amp inside.
                        Last edited by 67Mopar; 12-19-2017, 05:28 PM.

Comment

I wonder if it would be possible to put a Rockmodule and a PowerStage next to each other in a 1U rack space?

Comment

Originally posted by 67Mopar View Post
                            Geez! I forgot about the 2x8 GK combo. Sounded amazing for its size and had switchable analog chorus/delay. I wish SR&D would have made the chorus/echo module to where you could combine both effects... Had they done this, I'd construct a single space head-box with a class D amp inside.

I was in a band {dual guitar} with a guy that had the GK 2x8 combo, he ran a XLR out into the PA, Big sound !

Comment

• Rockman Tone in 2017

Originally posted by JMP/HBE View Post

I was in a band {dual guitar} with a guy that had the GK 2x8 combo, he ran a XLR out into the PA, Big sound !
                              The rhythm player in my band from '86-'89 used one of those. Biggest sound I've ever heard out of the smallest real amp/cab I've ever seen for guitar. That G&K sounded like a concert hall standing in front of it with the stereo chorus and reverb on.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                                The rhythm player in my band from '86-'89 used one of those. Biggest sound I've ever heard out of the smallest real amp/cab I've ever seen for guitar. That G&K sounded like a concert hall standing in front of it with the stereo chorus and reverb on.

Iron Maiden used them live & in studio on the "Somewhere in Time" album.

Comment

Working...
                                X