Rockman Tone in 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Rockman Tone in 2017

Taylor Rhodes is at it again, covering "Walkin' At Night". He does a nice job of demonstrating the auto-clean circuit on his Sustainor 200:

Comment

Here's another recent Rockman video. It's an XPR mixed with some other lineups. Watch the onscreen notes for the details:

Comment

I tried running my Sustainor double IC 200 into my Lexicon PCM70 last night. Mind blown!!!
        Last edited by 67Mopar; 03-25-2018, 03:22 PM.

Comment

Taylor Rhodes covers "Home of the Brave" by Toto using his Rockman X100:

Comment

Any thoughts on the XPR? I've actually seen one for a fair price in Europe (!). I assume it will need refurbishing; is this something that the knowers-that-be have looked into?

Comment

Originally posted by Sirion View Post
              Any thoughts on the XPR? I've actually seen one for a fair price in Europe (!). I assume it will need refurbishing; is this something that the knowers-that-be have looked into?
              Getting a refurb for a XPR is probably going to be tricky. Rockman-Repair.com and B5 Amplification don't work on them that I'm aware of. I heard of one being worked on lately, but that was a really unique situation involving a former SR&D employee.

Comment

I saw that. There is, however, a seller who claims that he has refurbished his XP100. A one-off? A lie? I don't know.

https://reverb.com/item/10883058-sch...man-repair-com

Comment

Rockman Compressor comment edited due to failed patch cable. See below...
                  Last edited by 67Mopar; 04-16-2018, 12:41 PM.

Comment

Well, they can't all be winners 30 years hence…

Comment

Turns out that the patch cable was bad. Using a new cable, it actually sounds pretty good for such an old compressor. If I were to keep it, I'd use it for acoustic (feedback prevention) vs electric play. Degrades pick attack and dynamics to a point, though not as badly as it did with the failed patch cable. For electric, the original Barber Tone Press is the best I've found.
                      Last edited by 67Mopar; 04-16-2018, 12:47 PM.

Comment

I still have my soloist from the 80's.
                        Great sounding box!

Comment

If anyone has a schematic to the Rockman Sustainor, I'd love to see it. More specifically, the tone stack.
                          Last edited by 67Mopar; 04-23-2018, 11:10 AM.

Comment

To those who still think Rockman = Boston, this might be illuminating:

Originally posted by K. K. Downing
                            Hi Mathieu. You are right I was using the Rockman [on Painkiller] but with 3 other pedals but I can’t remember what they were right now. I was using a Tascam 8 channel mixer and I think each channel had a send and return to connect the units to it. It was a full range system as my amps were clean pa amps and the speakers were actually JBL studio monitors. The Rockman was important as it has filters that cut out the fizz. I think I was ahead of the game because now many guys use gear such as line 6 pod so that they can take a line to the pa just as they do to get their sound in the studio. My problem was that I kept on blowing up my high range tweeters. That’s the only reason I changed I guess. Hope this helps a bit.
                            Regards K.K.
                            This doesn't sound like Cool the Engines to me:

Last edited by Sirion; 04-27-2018, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Getting a more traditional sound/feel from a Rockman Sustainor is achieved by minimizing the effect of its compressor/limiter circuit. Minimize the compressor setting, then punch the input with a hearty drive pedal. The Sustainor (IMO) works best when paired with a Ibanez TS9 or TS808. What about a KLON, you say? I'll experiment today.

Painkiller is one of my least favorite JP albums. As a matter of fact, it is completely removed from the JP music I relished throughout the 1970's and early 80's. Everything up to DOTF, nothing after that for me. I think my favorites are Stained Class and Hell Bent For Leather.
                              Last edited by 67Mopar; 05-05-2018, 10:15 AM.

Comment

Ironically, you jump off JP at the same time as they jumped on the Rockman gear. I rather like both Turbo and Painkiller, and whilst I am a stalwart defender of the merits of the former, I can see why it was disappointing to many in context.

Comment

Working...
                                X