Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Rockman Tone in 2017

Originally posted by LLL View Post
    I notice his virtual wah freq is set to 707Hz... this is part of the crucial midrange (roughly 600-800Hz) that provides clarity (not brightness), allows easy pinch harmonics, etc... but too much and you get a honking duck.
    That's interesting because Digitech has a downloadable pedal (which is also included on the RP units) called the Amp Driver which has an adjustable 600hz hump which they describe as a crucial frequency for the metal sound.
    The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Originally posted by Beer$ View Post
      That's interesting because Digitech has a downloadable pedal (which is also included on the RP units) called the Amp Driver which has an adjustable 600hz hump which they describe as a crucial frequency for the metal sound.
      Well, I wouldn't bother listening to any of my advice; cuz here, I only post mostly accurate cover tones/tunes recorded in my home studio.

I mean, it's not like I'm pumping out originals left and right here - only then would I know anything about tone...

Last edited by LLL; 08-08-2018, 09:10 AM.

Comment

Well, I wouldn't bother listening to any of my advice; cuz here, I only post mostly accurate cover tones/tunes recorded in my home studio.

I mean, it's not like I'm pumping out originals left and right here - only then would I know anything about tone...

Don't even worry about it man. I write originals for my band, do a lot of production work in my studio and I definitely appreciate and benefit from people who can deconstruct and emulate tones from scratch. We're all musicians at the end of the day.
        The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Comment

Originally posted by Beer$ View Post
          Don't even worry about it man. I write originals for my band, do a lot of production work in my studio and I definitely appreciate and benefit from people who can deconstruct and emulate tones from scratch. We're all musicians at the end of the day.
          If you listened to that Michael Sweet rig rundown, he has a great metal crunch tone (voiced more 80's style, of course, but still metal).

It's scooped to a point, but there's that wonderful "squeaky squonky" kinda honky pinch-harmonics-laden peaked midrange that just peeks out in the tone; notched of course.

That's the 707Hz.

Comment

If you listened to that Michael Sweet rig rundown, he has a great metal crunch tone (voiced more 80's style, of course, but still metal).

It's scooped to a point, but there's that wonderful "squeaky squonky" kinda honky pinch-harmonics-laden peaked midrange that just peeks out in the tone; notched of course.

That's the 707Hz.
            No doubt. The frequency you hit the gain stages with is as if not more important that the output.

Comment

YouTube user icobos demonstrates a Satriani tone with a Rockman Sustainor:

Comment

Originally posted by rbc View Post
                YouTube user icobos demonstrates a Satriani tone with a Rockman Sustainor:

Yup that's the tone.

Comment

Listening back to all the songs with Rockmans, it's a pretty d@mn serviceable tone especially for its time. I don't find it as thin as people have said. Even Painkiller and Dam That River don't lose any heaviness using Rockman heavy rhythm tones.

Comment

Andy's Tone Tips contrasts getting an 80's tone using a Rockman X100 headphone amp, and then pedals:

Comment

I was going to post that video.
                      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

YouTube user rubenreza demonstrates his Rockman Sustainor with the song "More Than A Feeling":

Comment

This video is a guitar ballad by Fredrik Tjerneld:

It's a few years old, but I don't think I've posted it before. It's recorded with a Rockman Sustainor.

Comment

I sold all of my Rockman modules, except for the Equalizer, Stereo Chorus, and Stereo Echo. Had Tom Scholz designed the Sustainor with compressor and mid EQ defeat, it would be the most sought after solid-state preamp out there.

Comment

YouTube user Kostas Xatzopoulos demonstrates his Rockman Stereo Chorus along with a Washburn EC 29 and Mesa Boogie V-twin preamp pedal:

Comment

Originally posted by rbc View Post
                                Andy's Tone Tips contrasts getting an 80's tone using a Rockman X100 headphone amp, and then pedals:

Wacky... if he had bothered switching to an Ibby RG, a tricked out LP, something with a DD, and something with an EMG 81, i daresay their own creators couldn't his tone from their own
                                "New stuff always sucks" -Me

Comment

Working...
                                X