Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Rockman Tone in 2017

Originally posted by Securb View Post
    Thank God you don't gig. There is no way you would get all of that cutting edge gear in your '83 Toyota Corolla.
    ...let alone my self-modded Marshall JTM45 and '67 Fender Deluxe with all-original glass and original cover.

If I were gigging regularly, I'd prolly go with something cheap and easily replaceable (in case drunks spilled their beer on it)... like a Sans Amp+power amp, DSL or JCM2000.

Comment

Originally posted by Myaccount876 View Post
      Didn't Metallica use the ADA MP-1 somewhere along the line? Was it ever a big part of the sound or was it just in the studio for a bit of layering with a bunch of other amps?
      Probably. Lots of bands used the MP-1 as a preamp in some form or fashion with their rig.

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
        Probably. Lots of bands used the MP-1 as a preamp in some form or fashion with their rig.
        Yes, probably far more than we are currently aware of. It seems like everybody had it present in their studios for a while, at least.

Didn't Metallica use the ADA MP-1 somewhere along the line? Was it ever a big part of the sound or was it just in the studio for a bit of layering with a bunch of other amps?
        For the solos on ...and Justice for All, if memory serves. In addition to the regular endorsees, which should be well known by now, AC/DC is also supposed to have ditched the Marshalls for a while, which, to be honest, doesn't surprise me: the ADA has a highly underrated crunch channel.

Comment

I have a modded MP1 (more Fendery, higher headroom) and a stock one. I don't think an MP1 can get a Rockman sound really. Not without extensive prefiltering.

Comment

Was the MP-1 usually used as a pre-amp hooked up direct into the board, or did most people run it into a power amp/cabinet/mic setup?

Comment

Originally posted by frankfalbo View Post
              I have a modded MP1 (more Fendery, higher headroom) and a stock one. I don't think an MP1 can get a Rockman sound really. Not without extensive prefiltering.
              Agreed. I think it was a bit of exaggerated advertisement on their part, which again shows the ubiquity of the Rockman in this period.

Was the MP-1 usually used as a pre-amp hooked up direct into the board, or did most people run it into a power amp/cabinet/mic setup?
              Nominally it could do both, but I don't think it did direct into the board very well. It could probably work well with a modern cab simulator, but the technology was not yet there at the time.

Comment

When they came out everyone was using them ad nauseam. The 800 was the amp of choice typically with a RAT back then. When the MP-1 came out most of the guys replaced their RAT with the MP-1, some opted for the matching ADA power amp and ditched their 800's. Can you imagine going to a show and all five bands on the bill have the same compressed, scooped preset sound. By the end of the night, it was a headache inducing. I will say the matching midi controller was pretty cool. Very streamlined and straightforward, I used one with my midi rig for years.

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                  When they came out everyone was using them ad nauseam. The 800 was the amp of choice typically with a RAT back then. When the MP-1 came out most of the guys replaced their RAT with the MP-1, some opted for the matching ADA power amp and ditched their 800's. Can you imagine going to a show and all five bands on the bill have the same compressed, scooped preset sound. By the end of the night, it was a headache inducing. I will say the matching midi controller was pretty cool. Very streamlined and straightforward, I used one with my midi rig for years.
                  Surely it can't have been that bad if the 'compressed, scooped preset sound' came from an MP-1? (Or, I stand corrected: if they ran their MP-1s as a RAT, that is, before the preamp of their Marshalls, that probably sounded pretty bad.)
                  Last edited by Sirion; 07-07-2017, 06:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by frankfalbo View Post
                    They can get in the ballpark, but no amp will get a true Rockman/Boston sound without some sort of Eventide H910 emulation.

(although the MP-1 has a schweet analog chorus with it)

Aside from the mid-boost and notching, that doubling effect is key to the tone.

The Rockman Stereo Chorus is very much like an H910 in a little box; wonder where Tom got the idea from? (LOL)
                    Last edited by LLL; 07-07-2017, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sirion View Post
                      Surely it can't have been that bad if the 'compressed, scooped preset sound' came from an MP-1? (Or, I stand corrected: if they ran their MP-1s as a RAT, that is, before the preamp of their Marshalls, that probably sounded pretty bad.)
                      No, no, no... haven't you heard? All gear prior to the year 2000 is crap and makes crap tone; especially during the 1980s.

See, the 2000's is when guitar tone really started to shine.

Comment

It has the capability to switch between line & instrument signal, so you could do both.

However, if running straight to the board, you'd want to EQ after to emulate speaker cab.

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
                          No, no, no... haven't you heard? All gear prior to the year 2000 is crap and makes crap tone; especially during the 1980s.

See, the 2000's is when guitar tone really started to shine.
                          Of course; how could I ever have been so foolish as to think otherwise?!

Comment

It is because it was truthfully and religiously bypassed with holy fervor.....click click....
                            Now where is that old Brockman at?? So I can shoot into pieces!

Comment

Shoot it? Let me send you a recommendation in the form of a song featuring a guitarist known for using Rockmans:

t

Comment

^Could they get more chorus on the guitars???? hahaha waaarrrrbllleeee deeeooouuurrrwwww
                                Haha it is long since deceased....
                                Got thrown out as garbage in the 90's at some point, was utterly dead and done.
                                Last edited by Vasshu the humanoid typhoon; 07-08-2017, 05:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X