Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: INCOMING Another New Amp Day, BLONDE FENDER SUPER SONIC 22W

Originally posted by Nostalgic Distortion View Post
    So just an update on the Super Sonic, or lack thereof....

I did go & pick it up yesterday afternoon. Before loading it into the car I decided I wanted to hear what it sounded like with my gear. So I plugged in one of my Telecasters that I'd brought with me as well as almost my entire pedalboard. It sounded fantastic however there was a little noise in the background? It wasn't too bad at all & I knew this was a common complaint about this particular amplifier so I didn't sweat it very much. Then I packed everything up & headed on home!!!

Once I got home & settled I plugged the amp into the wall and got out all the same gear that I'd brought to the store with me. I got everything hooked up & ready to go, turned the amp on to a very reasonable volume level, (about half of what I'd had it on at the store just a couple hours earlier) & HISSSSS!!!! That hum was there again but much louder this time & as I said I wasn't playing nearly as loud as I was earlier at the store! I thought to myself perhaps it's just constantly there but the more I turned up the volume knob the worst it got? Then it just started getting worse all by itself, & then POP & SILENCE!!!

"Well that's not supposed to happen???" I gave the shop a call & explained my dilemma. The owner said he thought it was probably just a tube or a fuse & he was willing to wait for me to get back there before heading home for the evening. I told him that I'd checked the fuses already, they looked fine & as far as the tubes went I told him that I had some new 6V6's & tons of preamp valves laying around so I was willing to try re-tubbing it before heading back to the shop. I changed those out & had the same issue, everything was glowing but absolutely no signal... "Well $#it" guess I'm going back to Littleton???

I put the stock valves back in & got back up to the shop for my refund. The guy that owns the place plugged it in & opened it up when I got there. Pretty much all he said after looking it over was "are you sure it not the wiring in your house?" (its definitely not) & "That's odd, I've never seen anything like this before???" Also, because it was technically after hours he had to run upstairs to his safe in order to get my refund so I just looked around the shop while I waited...

While looking I noticed a whine and wheat 65 Deluxe Reverb R.I. in the corner I'd seen the day I bought the Super Sonic but the $1,000+ price tag was a bit out of reach for me. Just for turds & squirts I asked him when he came back down how much more it would cost me if I decided to take that instead of the cash? He shrugged his shoulders and said "I guess I'd give it to you for another hundred bucks but that's as low as I can go because I'm already taking a big hit on it at $750" & then he again reiterated how sorry he was for all the hassle that I was going through...

I wasn't super crazy about spending even more money (NOT TO MENTION THE $50 I SPENT IN GAS GOING BACK AND FORTH!!!) but he was willing to give me a really great deal & they have a 60 no hassle return policy so I decided to snag it!!! If something pops up over the next few months I'll just bring it back again & honestly after what I've gone through I think he might even add another month to that for me?

So it was a bit late by the time I got back home last night. I still had to feed the baby, gave him a bath, & get him to fall asleep but luckily nobody was home so I was able to noddle around on it for a solid hour at a fairly decent clip. BTW, my kid can sleep through me & my entire band jamming in the living room!!! LOL, he'll usually only wake up when we stop???

[ATTACH=CONFIG]81643[/ATTACH]

Anyway, this one seems to be functioning flawlessly & sounds absolutely amazing!!! I've always loved the 65 D.R.R.I.'s tone! There's just something about their 6V6 power sections that gels with me & my playing style. The 6V6's were a lot of the appeal for me with the Super Sonic & since I wasn't all that interested in the BURN CH anyhow perhaps this all worked out for the best??? I mean I ended up with a pretty great & iconic limited edition amplifier with a much better stock speaker for a pretty awesome price in the end....
    That is awesome! Great price on a Deluxe Reverb! Those things sound amazing, enjoy!

Comment

Now that is one nice looking amp!
      Yeah I got rid of my SS22 as well....the channel shifter shorted and killed off three resistors, repaired it and sold the dratted thing, wishing that I had bought a Deluxe as well
      Baggins'ez can be forum members & guitar players too...

We don't discriminate here on the S.D.U.G.F., LOL!!!
      Baaaagggiiiiiinnnnssseeesssssss!!!! Haha playing shortscale guitars and such

Comment

Originally posted by Vasshu the humanoid typhoon View Post
        Now that is one nice looking amp!
        Yeah I got rid of my SS22 as well....the channel shifter shorted and killed off three resistors, repaired it and sold the dratted thing, wishing that I had bought a Deluxe as well
        Baaaagggiiiiiinnnnssseeesssssss!!!! Haha playing shortscale guitars and such

Comment

Comment

LOL!!! You guys crack me up!!!!

I definitely feel a lot better about this ones longevity of life & it was cool of the store to go as far as they did to make sure I was happy in the end!!!

Like I mentioned above 99% of the stuff in that place can be had 10%-25% cheaper online but you'd be hard pressed to get that kind of customer service anywhere on the inter-web!!! Plus there's a lot to be said about playing something before you pay & every guitar/bass in there regardless of it's price has been sat down with & setup to play about as good as possible before going out on the wall...

If you have to pay the return shipping on a guitar to M.F. twice you'll likely spend more & it's always good to support your local businesses???
            I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Comment

I'm all for supporting local when possible. Good on ya!

Comment

So just an update on the Super Sonic, or lack thereof....

I did go & pick it up yesterday afternoon. Before loading it into the car I decided I wanted to hear what it sounded like with my gear. So I plugged in one of my Telecasters that I'd brought with me as well as almost my entire pedalboard. It sounded fantastic however there was a little noise in the background? It wasn't too bad at all & I knew this was a common complaint about this particular amplifier so I didn't sweat it very much. Then I packed everything up & headed on home!!!

Once I got home & settled I plugged the amp into the wall and got out all the same gear that I'd brought to the store with me. I got everything hooked up & ready to go, turned the amp on to a very reasonable volume level, (about half of what I'd had it on at the store just a couple hours earlier) & HISSSSS!!!! That hum was there again but much louder this time & as I said I wasn't playing nearly as loud as I was earlier at the store! I thought to myself perhaps it's just constantly there but the more I turned up the volume knob the worst it got? Then it just started getting worse all by itself, & then POP & SILENCE!!!

"Well that's not supposed to happen???" I gave the shop a call & explained my dilemma. The owner said he thought it was probably just a tube or a fuse & he was willing to wait for me to get back there before heading home for the evening. I told him that I'd checked the fuses already, they looked fine & as far as the tubes went I told him that I had some new 6V6's & tons of preamp valves laying around so I was willing to try re-tubbing it before heading back to the shop. I changed those out & had the same issue, everything was glowing but absolutely no signal... "Well $#it" guess I'm going back to Littleton???

I put the stock valves back in & got back up to the shop for my refund. The guy that owns the place plugged it in & opened it up when I got there. Pretty much all he said after looking it over was "are you sure it not the wiring in your house?" (its definitely not) & "That's odd, I've never seen anything like this before???" Also, because it was technically after hours he had to run upstairs to his safe in order to get my refund so I just looked around the shop while I waited...

While looking I noticed a whine and wheat 65 Deluxe Reverb R.I. in the corner I'd seen the day I bought the Super Sonic but the $1,000+ price tag was a bit out of reach for me. Just for turds & squirts I asked him when he came back down how much more it would cost me if I decided to take that instead of the cash? He shrugged his shoulders and said "I guess I'd give it to you for another hundred bucks but that's as low as I can go because I'm already taking a big hit on it at $750" & then he again reiterated how sorry he was for all the hassle that I was going through...

I wasn't super crazy about spending even more money (NOT TO MENTION THE $50 I SPENT IN GAS GOING BACK AND FORTH!!!) but he was willing to give me a really great deal & they have a 60 no hassle return policy so I decided to snag it!!! If something pops up over the next few months I'll just bring it back again & honestly after what I've gone through I think he might even add another month to that for me?

So it was a bit late by the time I got back home last night. I still had to feed the baby, gave him a bath, & get him to fall asleep but luckily nobody was home so I was able to noddle around on it for a solid hour at a fairly decent clip. BTW, my kid can sleep through me & my entire band jamming in the living room!!! LOL, he'll usually only wake up when we stop???

[ATTACH=CONFIG]81643[/ATTACH]

Anyway, this one seems to be functioning flawlessly & sounds absolutely amazing!!! I've always loved the 65 D.R.R.I.'s tone! There's just something about their 6V6 power sections that gels with me & my playing style. The 6V6's were a lot of the appeal for me with the Super Sonic & since I wasn't all that interested in the BURN CH anyhow perhaps this all worked out for the best??? I mean I ended up with a pretty great & iconic limited edition amplifier with a much better stock speaker for a pretty awesome price in the end....
                What a nice twist to the plot!

Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

....I definitely feel a lot better about this ones longevity of life & it was cool of the store to go as far as they did to make sure I was happy in the end!!!.............
                  First, you ended up with a great amp! @ a great price! Congrats
                  Secondly, it bothers me to hear the recurring stories of the SS22 problems. They were real for sure. However, some of the same problems existed in the 65 DRRI as well...those manufactured in the same time frame. The fixes were id'd by Fender and their warranty repair stations had the tech docs to do so, and of course were performed quickly @ no cost to the owner. Perhaps this store was an authorized rpr. station???? My SS22 had some of the problems, so I'm speaking from experience. Yours, being a 2014 production run could have been before the problem(s) were remedied in production. Yes, shame on Fender for allowing it to occur. They were the cause of the SS22 getting a bad reputation....the 65 DRRI already had a good one established.

When I bought the SS22 in 2012, I was debating between it and the 65 DRRI and chose the SS22 because of greater versatility (except for the absence of tremolo) without a need for pedals. I would probably have been very happy with the 65 DRRI and a couple of OD/Dist. pedals, but I'm happy with the SS22 as well. The clean channels are nearly identical.

So, for readers trying to decide between the two, FAIK, reliability issues are now the same, so make your choice on other criteria. There isn't a bad choice to be made.

Comment

By the time this thread ends, you're going to have an original Bassman with a 4x10 cab.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

nice! I used to have a black DRRI its what led me to consider the supersonic 22. I really like the burn channel. But the cleans.. I guess I don't miss the DRRI cuz they are quite similar in many ways so yes great great score! Well, i dunno. The DRRI reverb was more lush. and the tremolo is awesome. They are both awesome amps if you get a problem-free ss22 lol
                      and yes, great colors on your amp!

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
                        By the time this thread ends, you're going to have an original Bassman with a 4x10 cab.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk
                        LOL, he did have an old Bassman 4X10 in the shop however I'd rather not crack the foundation of my house while having a living room session!!! Although I'd love to own it I think the 65 D.R.R.I. is probably a better choice for my current situation???

Not to mention I've already got half a dozen other amplifiers in storage that are too big/loud for me to use with any real regularly. I'd probably have to rent a larger space, or buy a bigger house???
                        I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Comment

Originally posted by IM4Tone View Post
                          First, you ended up with a great amp! @ a great price! Congrats
                          Secondly, it bothers me to hear the recurring stories of the SS22 problems. They were real for sure. However, some of the same problems existed in the 65 DRRI as well...those manufactured in the same time frame. The fixes were id'd by Fender and their warranty repair stations had the tech docs to do so, and of course were performed quickly @ no cost to the owner. Perhaps this store was an authorized rpr. station???? My SS22 had some of the problems, so I'm speaking from experience. Yours, being a 2014 production run could have been before the problem(s) were remedied in production. Yes, shame on Fender for allowing it to occur. They were the cause of the SS22 getting a bad reputation....the 65 DRRI already had a good one established.

When I bought the SS22 in 2012, I was debating between it and the 65 DRRI and chose the SS22 because of greater versatility (except for the absence of tremolo) without a need for pedals. I would probably have been very happy with the 65 DRRI and a couple of OD/Dist. pedals, but I'm happy with the SS22 as well. The clean channels are nearly identical.

So, for readers trying to decide between the two, FAIK, reliability issues are now the same, so make your choice on other criteria. There isn't a bad choice to be made.
                          This 65 Deluxe is a 2017 so I'm hoping that Fender has addressed anything that could end up being problematic down the road. I mean you'd think they'd have gotten it right by now, they've had 50+ years to perfect it!!!

Comment

This 65 Deluxe is a 2017 so I'm hoping that Fender has addressed anything that could end up being problematic down the road. I mean you'd think they'd have gotten it right by now, they've had 50+ years to perfect it!!!
                            I'd expect it to be fine! In the unlikely event there is a problem, Fender has one of the best, wide spread warranty repair networks in the business. ENJOY!

Comment

Working...
                            X