BE100 versus Quickrod...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BE100 versus Quickrod...

So I had a good opportunity over the long weekend to pit the "new" 2015 Friedman BE100 up against my 2012 Splawn Quickrod. I recently acquired the BE100 from a friend, who's been content with his Smallbox and Dirty Shirley stereo setup for some time. I actually had the BE in the man cave for a month last year when he was on vacation and wanted me to look after it. It's haunted me ever since. Having owned both the Dirty Shirley and Smallbox myself, I just couldn't shake the BE. It's bigger sounding than the Smallbox, and tighter than the Shirley.

Anyways I first of all did some speaker swapping in the 4x12 that the BE is plugged into. I first I had EVH Greenbacks loaded in the top, and V30s in the bottom. It sounded great, but I felt that there was something just not quite to my liking. So I loaded my H30s in the bottom and left the EVHs where they were. Bingo! Softer and more pleasing to my ears than with the V30s in there. The H30s add a hair more tightness and bass than the EVHs, but are more balanced with them than the V30s were.

I swapped back and forth between my LP R0 tuned standard (loaded with Fralins), and my '91 Studio loaded with Duncan JB/59s, tuned to Eb. The Studio is quite a bit heavier and has a much darker tone. I tend to use it for things like AIC, Tool, etc. The R0 is brighter, and more clear/articulate. It excels at Def Leppard "High & Dry" and ACDC "Back In Black".

The Splawn slant cab is loaded with Smallblocks. The tones I was getting through the Splawn were dryer, tighter, more immediate in response. They were brown, but not as spongey and forgiving as the BE100 tones. To my surprise, the Friedman didn't make me immediately want to power-down the Splawn rig and just keep playing the Friedman. Both had their strengths and weaknesses. Both sounded great for anything from those old school, iconic 80s albums to AIC and Tool. But I felt that the Splawn had the edge for the latter and the Friedman had the edge for the former. In terms of classic plexi amp tones, the Friedman is just so refined. I would happily take either amp to a rock gig of any genre and not be left wanting. The Splawn actually seems much louder than the Friedman. But that could be due to speaker efficiancies and the slant versus straight cab difference.

In short, if you find that you're lusting after a Splawn... you won't be disappointed. If you're lusting after a Friedman... you won't be disappointed. Both are excellent amps that are just variations on a theme.

And by the way... I'm still in love with my Helix LT. After the honeymoon wears off on the BE100, I'll still go back to the Helix for regular daily play just like I had chosen it over the Splawn before. If I had to gear-up for a big outdoor gig that was going to be well-attended and I wanted to really kick A$$ and take names... I'd probably take the Friedman AND the Splawn half stacks in a stereo config (if I could find someone to hump the gear around and spare my trashed back). But in terms of practice and even gigs... I'm still VERY happy with the Helix and just created some more (plexi-based) patches for it on Friday night in fact. If I had to sell everything and just keep one guitar and amp, it'd be the R0 and likely the Helix.

"Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

http://www.soundcloud.com/jwflamenco

Re: BE100 versus Quickrod...

Thanks for the review....

I can't seem to shake the Smallbox GAS. Since you had a Smallbox, how does it compare to the Splawn Quickrod?
    (I'm looking for a better and more "plexi-ish" clean channel, and a little more sponge and give from the gain channel)

Also, are you boosting with those pedals or are they for the Fenders?
    Last edited by PFDarkside; 07-05-2017, 02:28 PM.
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
      Thanks for the review....

I can't seem to shake the Smallbox GAS. Since you had a Smallbox, how does it compare to the Splawn Quickrod?
      (I'm looking for a better and more "plexi-ish" clean channel, and a little more sponge and give from the gain channel)

Also, are you boosting with those pedals or are they for the Fenders?
      Smallbox definitely had the smooth, slightly-compressed Friedman sound that the BE has... just not as big sounding as the BE. The clean channel of the Smallbox was very plexi-ish. I didn't love it...as I prefer jangley, spanky Fender cleans ala my Deluxe. The SB cleans weren't bad at all. I just wanted something more Fendery. Not that the Quickrod or BE cleans are Fendery either, but they're passable. For some reason, I like them both better than I liked the SB cleans. Both the QR and BE seem to have cleaner cleans to me. But it's been since last fall that I traded the SB for the Shirley that I had. So my memory is getting fuzzy at this point.

The Friedman will have more sponge than the Splawn IMO. Splawns are plenty brown and do have some sag, but not as much as the Friedmans do.

Not boosting the BE or QR with anything. Those pedals just happen to be there because I do find them handy to take a clean sound and make it into something between clean and gain. I did have a Friedman BE pedal and Bogner XTC red pedal on the board, but figured that they were pointless running into the BE100. I'll be putting those up for sale at some point. I did however use the Bogner Harlow in front of the plexi channel on the Smallbox (with the gain dimed) and got a bada$$ EVH tone using the set up. It also nailed Chris Oliva's tone on the intro to "Mentally Yours". Both were out-of-control variac'd tones. Now, I just use the Harlow as a clean boost/compressor. I actually prefer the squished Paisley-esque country lead tone I'm getting with the Harlow to the ones I've achieved with compressors over the years. Though I did just recently demo the Wampler Ego Compressor for those tones and it did an awesome job as well.
      "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

Comment

If there is an amp that i would want to die while playing on it, it will be the BE100

Comment

Thanks for taking the time to respond, I appreciate it.

Is your Splawn a newer model? I see a 4-button footswitch, mine is a 3-button. I'm not sure if the clean channel was updated in between these models. My Splawn's clean channel can be both muddy and bright, the gain almost acts like a low mid control. And maybe that's just me really wanting that fender style clean tone.
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by Kruspe View Post
            If there is an amp that i would want to die while playing on it, it will be the BE100
            I feel the same way. I've had or played just about everything in tube amps at this point... and the BE scratches more itches than the others did so far. I'd still like to plug into a Metroplex at some point though. Haven't tried any of the Metropolous stuff yet.

Comment

Is your Splawn a newer model? I see a 4-button footswitch, mine is a 3-button. I'm not sure if the clean channel was updated in between these models. My Splawn's clean channel can be both muddy and bright, the gain almost acts like a low mid control. And maybe that's just me really wanting that fender style clean tone.
              2012 model I believe. Clean channel is very good, but I don't spend a lot of time there. I do like the ability to select three different OD modes on the 4-button switch though. That's a very nice and useful for gigs.

Comment

Originally posted by Red_Label View Post
                I feel the same way. I've had or played just about everything in tube amps at this point... and the BE scratches more itches than the others did so far. I'd still like to plug into a Metroplex at some point though. Haven't tried any of the Metropolous stuff yet.
                My bro owned a Metro 2203 for a few years. Tone-wise it was up there with a good JMP or 800, but still not quite as good as the very best originals I've played. We probably would've liked it better as a 2204; it was definitely the loudest master volume amp I've ever heard.
                Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Very nice, congrats, Red Label!

I have a 3 button Pro Mod and I would describe the gain on the clean channel as a compressor. It will dirty up on higher settings and does fatten up the low mids, but it's the compression that stands out to my ears. Great for a Tele and a fat spanky tone.
                  Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

Have you tried to clone both amps on the Helix? How close can you get?
                    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Gone_Shootin View Post

I have a 3 button Pro Mod and I would describe the gain on the clean channel as a compressor. It will dirty up on higher settings and does fatten up the low mids, but it's the compression that stands out to my ears. Great for a Tele and a fat spanky tone.
                      Yeah, that's true. I think also most Marshalls are so plug and play (the EQ gives you variations on the tone, but it always sounds like a Marshall) I'm not used to having to tweak the clean for every guitar. The gain channel sounds good on almost every setting with every guitar... But I almost never go above noon on gain and I'm at 1st or 2nd Gear.
                      Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by Gone_Shootin View Post

Nailed it! I was struck by the built in compression on the Splawn clean channel when I first plugged in.

Comment

Working...
                        X