Sometimes...I HATE Being Responsible!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sometimes...I HATE Being Responsible!

Just got back from a quick trip to Seattle...empty handed.

I need another amp like I need a hole in my head, but...I found a great deal on a Mesa Royal Atlantic RA100 212 combo. After much soul searching, I let it go. I don't need another amp, and it really is too much amp for the gigs I'm doing these days. But that is one of my "most desired" amps tone-wise, and one of the "least practical". I'd have a really hard time just lifting it into the van.

Sometimes making the "smart" move still sucks...

Bill
    When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Re: Sometimes...I HATE Being Responsible!

Sorry to hear that. I've hit that a few times in the last year or so. Finally been able to flip enough to get big ticket items.

Just go plug in one of your historics and remember the other finer things in life haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Sometimes you just have to walk away. Whenever I do I hear the "Hulk sad" music in my head.

Comment

What's the deal with the Royal Atlantic? It would be too big for me, too. But why is it so desired?
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
          What's the deal with the Royal Atlantic? It would be too big for me, too. But why is it so desired?
          I played one at a jam. The thing just sang for me all night long. They are beautiful sounding amps.

Comment

Bill,

Could you please list all the amps you currently own for us?
            You know, to try and feel your pain a bit.

*wink wink*

-Diego
            Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
            Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
            Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
            Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Originally posted by Boogie Bill View Post
              Just got back from a quick trip to Seattle...empty handed.

I need another amp like I need a hole in my head, but...I found a great deal on a Mesa Royal Atlantic RA100 212 combo. After much soul searching, I let it go. I don't need another amp, and it really is too much amp for the gigs I'm doing these days. But that is one of my "most desired" amps tone-wise, and one of the "least practical". I'd have a really hard time just lifting it into the van.

Bill
              What does NEED have to do with anything? .................................

Comment

Yes. It does. I got fortunate that my wife took pity on me after seeing me play a Hot Rod 25 a couple of weeks ago while in Tennessee, and she let me order one after we got home and checked the finances.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Not married or raising kids, huh?

That'll suck up your gear money like a vacuum cleaner.
                  Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                  I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
                    Not married or raising kids, huh?

That'll suck up your gear money like a vacuum cleaner.
                    Fortunately, no. And my GF is very supportive...enabling, even!

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                    The RA is one of Mesa's British-flavored amps, with 4xEL34 power. Got a great clean tone. The LEAD channel has two ranges of gain, LO and HI, so it does a full range of vintage to modded "M-word" amps.

And the really cool feature...each channel has its own attenuator. It is a fire-breathing beast, but it can be used at lower volumes.

The Marshall amp vibe is something I'm missing in my stable.

Originally posted by Diego View Post
                    Could you please list all the amps you currently own for us?
                    You know, to try and feel your pain a bit.
                    Diego
                    It's a long list.

I still have my original 1972 SUNN Solos II, a SS 212 combo.

Then, the Mesas...

Mark III Coliseum 200-watt black head (VERY rare);

Mark III red-stripe 112 EVM blond combo, Simul-Class, EQ, Rev and matching 112 EVM Thiele cab (VERY rare);

Mark III blue-stripe 112 C-100 black combo, Simul-Class, EQ, Rev and matching JBL E-120 Thiele cab;

Mark IV A 112 EVM black combo and matching 112 EVM Thiele cab;

DC-3 112 V-30 black combo;

Maverick 212 V30s blonde combo. (I actually have two, trying to sell one.);

Mark V 112 C90 black combo with matching 112 V30 Closed-Back Wide-Body cab;

Mark V:35 112 C90 custom green/tan combo;

Mark V:25 black head with matching 112 slant and 112 straight V30 Recto cabs.

I also have several other Mesa cabs: a 212 Horizontal Recto, a 212 Half-Back, and two 412 Half-Backs. One is EVM/C90s and the other is all EVMs and weighs a ton.

I love the Mesa amps. All but the Mark V were bought used at rock-bottom prices, and it was a GC close-out at well below list.

So that's nine Mesas, not counting the one Maverick for sale. Too many, I know. I do think it's good to have a variety of amps, heads and combos, with different power ratings. The Mesas cross genres well, and I can handle any venue. But these are the amps that I found MY TONE in. Being happy with my tone--priceless, as they say in the ads.

I also have a couple of little Acoustic Control amps for bass, drums, or acoustic guitar. I have a Peavey Combo 300 for bass.

Some of the vintage amps I've owned include BF Band Master rig, BF Tremolux rig, 1965 Deluxe Reverb, Super Champ with EV, Fender 75 head and 112 EV cab, Acoustic Control 156 rig, Gibson Medalist 410 combo, Peavey Rock Master 120-watt head, and a JCM 800 4010 combo. Good stuff there, but I like the Mesas best, by far.

I have been very, very blessed over the years, and I like to think that I've bought wisely.

Bill
                    When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

<Insert a ****load of awesome amps here>

Bill
                      Well my friend, rest assured on this one: You have more, and way better, amps than I'll ever have in my life.
                      I'm not particularly good at the making money game, and living in Chile means I'm already starting on the wrong foot due to conversion rates, third-world economy and such.
                      Let that RA go, Boogie Man. You're in good hands already!
                      Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                      Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                      Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                      Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

And the really cool feature...each channel has its own attenuator. It is a fire-breathing beast, but it can be used at lower volumes.

The Marshall amp vibe is something I'm missing in my stable.
                        Try the mini Jubilee head. It certainly has the Marshall vibe as it is a Marshall, and it can do it loud or at controlled volume. It only weighs 22 lbs.

Comment

You've got enough of the Boogie sound in your stable, load up your MkV with EL34s and rock out Ch 2 in Edge mode and the 45w setting.
                          Also too bad having to pass up on that, the RA was on my shortlist of amps to buy when I got my MkV, but the Mk's extra flexibility beat it out.
                          sigpic
                          Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

Originally posted by Lake Placid Blues View Post
                            Try the mini Jubilee head. It certainly has the Marshall vibe as it is a Marshall, and it can do it loud or at controlled volume. It only weighs 22 lbs.
                            I tried one of the mini Jubilees. Got to admit, it is ALL Marshall. But, I have the Mark V:25 head and mini-stack. It's not a Marshall, but it has such tremendous versatility. The mini-Jubilee struck me as, like many other Marshalls, a one-trick pony. It is a GREAT trick, though.

Since the genres in our set lists are all over the place, I need the versatility. That was also a factor in passing on the RA 100...I just don't get to use that tonality (or that kind of power) very often.

Thanks.

Bill

Comment

Working...
                            X