Impedance Refresher Course....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impedance Refresher Course....

I've got a couple of very simple impedance questions for you guys that I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to but it never hurts to check...

I bought a Blackheart Lil Giant off a kid for like $60 a couple months ago & then just stuck it up on a shelf until a couple of weeks ago when I finally played through it for a while. I'm actually kinda surprised by how much I like it! Aside from a little background hiss that you really only get when it's cranked it's a great little class A 5W head & quite loud...

Anyway, it's been sharing a 1X12 cabinet with my TSA-15 but I'm a bit concerned that I'm going to turn one or the other on without a speaker load behind it because I'm kinda dumb sometimes, LOL!!! So I nstead of buying a new cabinet for it I want to convert my S.S. Princeton Chorus 2X10 that I never touch anymore into a 2X10 cabinet to stick under it. It's got 2 8ohm speakers in it currently so 16ohms is pretty much my only option because I can't use a 4ohm load with the Blackheart...

So first question is- I should be wiring it in series & not parallel to achieve the 16ohm load when using two 8ohm speakers, correct???

Second question- Can I just use any old 1/4in mono guitar jack or do I need something different???

Thanks in advance.....
    I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Re: Impedance Refresher Course....

Wire it in series. That 1/4 in jack should work just fine.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

Comment

Don't use shielded cable.
      Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

Crusty, I think he is asking about the actual jack, not using a guitar cable.

So, yes and yes, and use a speaker cable.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
          Crusty, I think he is asking about the actual jack, not using a guitar cable.

So, yes and yes, and use a speaker cable.
          Yeah, my question was pertaining to the jack itself, not the cable. I have several very nice non-shielded speaker cabinet cables & I know you can't just use any old instrument cables to connect head to cab....

Thanks guys, I appreciate it!!!!
          I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Comment

Technically on a 5W amp, it probably wouldn't matter much, but definitely not a good practice to get into.

Comment

Originally posted by devastone View Post
              Technically on a 5W amp, it probably wouldn't matter much, but definitely not a good practice to get into.
              True, but like you said it's bad form & completely unnecessary....

Comment

Working...
              X