banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

FrankenAmp: JCM-800 in a 4x10 combo cabinet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FrankenAmp: JCM-800 in a 4x10 combo cabinet?

I had this idea of combining my two favorite amps in one: the size and 4x10 speaker configuration of my Fender Bassman (I have the '59 reissue) with the punch of the 50 watt JCM-800.

I don't know anything about building amps, but have a couple friends are good at it. I notice that Mojotone sells both the JCM-800 2204 clone kit and the Super-Reverb style cabinet.

Anyone tried anything like this? I'm sure lots of people here know a ton more about this sort of thing, so please have it.

"For old fashioned blues and rock, something about heavy tubes, heavy transformers, heavy speakers and heavy cabinets just works." PFDarkside

Re: FrankenAmp: JCM-800 in a 4x10 combo cabinet?

ive heard marshalls though 4x10 and they sounded great. always a closed back cab though so not sure how an open back would sound. what kind of music? for classic rock it could be good but the open back cab wont be as tight on the bottom end

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
      ive heard marshalls though 4x10 and they sounded great. always a closed back cab though so not sure how an open back would sound. what kind of music? for classic rock it could be good but the open back cab wont be as tight on the bottom end
      I guess classic rock is pretty close to describing what I play. Basic three piece rock band, about 1/2 originals, sort of influenced by everything from Cream to Pretenders. Covers from Stones to U2. Fair amount of guitar soloing. Love the Bassman for rhythm guitar, love the JCM for lead, I guess alot of people feel that way.

"For old fashioned blues and rock, something about heavy tubes, heavy transformers, heavy speakers and heavy cabinets just works." PFDarkside

Comment

I think one reason that I like the 4x10 is that it's not as bottom end heavy as the 4x12 cab I have. The 4x12 seems almost like a bass guitar, and overlaps tone wise with where the bass players tone is centered, creating an overall more "mushy" sound. The 4x10 seems to contrast and float above the bass more.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
          ive heard marshalls though 4x10 and they sounded great. always a closed back cab though so not sure how an open back would sound.
          I play my DSL through my open back 15 cab. It sounds very full and tight on the bottom, but it is a 15.

Comment

It depends on how easy you want to make it on yourself, but the easiest would be just to use the fender chassis that fits the cabinet and build the 2203/4's guts into that, then have a custom face plate made. Or like wise see if they have a 4x10 jtm45 kit, and just use the mv faceplate. Even better would be to see if Mojo will make a custom cabinet to fit their Marshall chassis, or make a custom fender sized chassis with only the necessary punches you need.
            Last edited by Joey Voltage; 07-18-2017, 07:49 PM.

Comment

I always recommend separate heads and speaker cabs. This is no exception. Build a separate and dedicated 4x10 cab for an 800 head is my recommendation. You have a more manageable package in terms of weight and bulk with a separate head and speaker cab. The amp and its tubes is not being beat upon by the speakers and the speaker cab design has no compromises. Plus you have more flexibility in terms of speaker cabs for the particular gig or venue.

A JTM45, Blues Breaker, or a 1987 (50 watt plexi) chassis is only 17" wide if you wanted to build a custom combo cabinet, or fit a Marshall chassis into an existing combo cabinet. A 1987 build can be converted to a 2204 fairly easily.

Comment

Originally posted by Lake Placid Blues View Post
                I always recommend separate heads and speaker cabs. This is no exception. Build a separate and dedicated 4x10 cab for an 800 head is my recommendation. You have a more manageable package in terms of weight and bulk with a separate head and speaker cab. The amp and its tubes is not being beat upon by the speakers and the speaker cab design has no compromises. Plus you have more flexibility in terms of speaker cabs for the particular gig or venue.

A JTM45, Blues Breaker, or a 1987 (50 watt plexi) chassis is only 17" wide if you wanted to build a custom combo cabinet, or fit a Marshall chassis into an existing combo cabinet. A 1987 build can be converted to a 2204 fairly easily.
                If you were to go that route you might as well just pick up a used 2203/4, or a used ceriatone knockoff for $600. There would be very little incentive to building anything unless you really wanted to.

Comment

Working...
                X