What's the quietest 6V6?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the quietest 6V6?

So I'm trying to shave some volume off my 6V6 amp. I've tried the JJ, Ruby, and Tung Sol 6V6, and so far, the Tung Sol seems to be the quietest of the bunch. Is there anything that's quieter at the same volume settings than the Tung Sol? EHX? Gold Lion? Mullard?

Thanks!

Re: What's the quietest 6V6?

I agree, speaker efficiency will be of far greater significance than brands of the same tube type.

Comment

Seems to be a popular theme of late: quiet valve amps. I would get an attenuator. It will alter your tone, but you are going to get that regardless, and an attenuator is guarateed to work. Due to the way physics works a 6dB cut halves your current equivalent wattage. That may not be enough, however. Depends on your amp, cab, speakers, and how much level you are looking to eliminate.
      Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
      My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

I can't imagine certain brands of 6v6 tubes would be significantly different in volume. I think the right tool is an attenuator.Let's face it, a 2-6v6 amp turned up to the point it sounds good is still pretty loud to practice in your house.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

i have the eminence maverick and im a big fan. 100db down to 93db gives you a decent amount of control

Comment

Thanks for the replies, dudes!

I thought about swapping one of the G12EVH's I have in my 4x12 for the Vintage 30 I'm using on the 1x12 for home use. I like my 4x12 the way it is, though, so I don't know...

What's the Eminence Reignmaker like? Is it Greenback-inspired?

Comment

That will not appreciably lower the SPL level of the amp; may not even be noticeable in fact.
              Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
              My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Working...
              X