banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Acceptable sensitivity difference when coupling two different speakers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acceptable sensitivity difference when coupling two different speakers?

Good day to all of you.

I upgraded the speaker in my combo with a G12M-65 and I love every bit of it. Before the upgrade, I thought my fuzz pedal was worthless and now it rocks like a bastard..
    I want to add a 1x12 cabinet when I gig in places, and I would like to mix a different speaker with the one I have. At the moment, I am considering the Classic Lead 80 and the G12H-75. Do you find it a good plan?
    And expecially, I hear that different speakers should be within a certain range concerning sensitivity, in order to not play at wildly different volumes. What is this range? Within 3db?

Thanks to all of you willing to help.

Re: Acceptable sensitivity difference when coupling two different speakers?

Any amount of match or mismatch might very well work to provide a good tone. But if you want to keep things pretty even I'd say within 3dB maybe 4. How much energy is in the 1-2 khz range of a particular speaker needs to be considered as well as that range is where our ears are most sensitive. So if a speaker is down a few dB overall but has a good spike in the 1-2khz range it might hang pretty well with a more sensitive unit that is a bit deficient in the same range.

Comment

Originally posted by SlyFoxx View Post
      Any amount of match or mismatch might very well work to provide a good tone. But if you want to keep things pretty even I'd say within 3dB maybe 4. How much energy is in the 1-2 khz range of a particular speaker needs to be considered as well as that range is where our ears are most sensitive. So if a speaker is down a few dB overall but has a good spike in the 1-2khz range it might hang pretty well with a more sensitive unit that is a bit deficient in the same range.
      Hi SlyFoxx and thanks for replying. Which speaker would match nicely with my G12M-65? I even have the Seventy 80 I uninstalled from the combo, if that could turn out to compliment good. Otherwise, after some research i ended up on the Classic Lead 80 and the G12H-75 (which is the one suggested by Celestion themselves to couple with the G12M-65). I mainly play classic rock, hard rock, alternative. Thanks.

Comment

I agree no more than 3db.

If you have a 4x12 with G12T75s side by side with a 4x12 with Vintage 30s, the V30 cab will bury the t75 cab. However mixing 100 db speakers with 97dbs speakers in a 4x12 seems to work if the lower sensitivity speakers are on top and the louder ones on bottom. Also open backed cabs are a bit louder than closed back cabs given the same speaker. By stacking the combo on top of the extension cab it may work.

Comment

Originally posted by Lake Placid Blues View Post
          I agree no more than 3db.

If you have a 4x12 with G12T75s side by side with a 4x12 with Vintage 30s, the V30 cab will bury the t75 cab. However mixing 100 db speakers with 97dbs speakers in a 4x12 seems to work if the lower sensitivity speakers are on top and the louder ones on bottom. Also open backed cabs are a bit louder than closed back cabs given the same speaker. By stacking the combo on top of the extension cab it may work.
          Do you mean that if I had the combo with G12M and the extension cab with G12H both on the floor, they wouldn't blend nicely?

Comment

I have EVH siggies (96dB) mixed with V30's (100dB) in my Marshall cab, and I think they sound fine. Yes, the V30's dominate, but the EVH's still add their flavor to the sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Rex_Rocker View Post
              I have EVH siggies (96dB) mixed with V30's (100dB) in my Marshall cab, and I think they sound fine. Yes, the V30's dominate, but the EVH's still add their flavor to the sound.
              Yeah.. That is exactly my concern.. How much difference would both in one cab vs 2 1x12 cabs (one being the combo) make..?

Comment

Perhaps you might consider mixing speaker magnet types like one Ceramic and one Alnico........best of both worlds.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffblue View Post
                  Perhaps you might consider mixing speaker magnet types like one Ceramic and one Alnico........best of both worlds.
                  Yeah, that was an option on my mind too.. Perhaps something like this would be a good match?

Comment

Originally posted by Emopunk View Post
                    Do you mean that if I had the combo with G12M and the extension cab with G12H both on the floor, they wouldn't blend nicely?
                    I think they might blend nicely, but the G12H will be louder than the G12M. Is the extension cab closed back? If the G12M is open back and the G12H is closed back they difference in volume would not be much.

Another combination to consider is putting a G12T75 in the extension cab. The extra bass of the G12T75 would probably be welcome in the blend, with the mids covered by the 65. Both are 97db.

Comment

Yeah I agree with above, definitely no more than 3. 75's are only 3 less and V30s and the V30's will dominate. Also has to do with their voicing as well, as the 75's are a bit scooped.
                      TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

Originally posted by Lake Placid Blues View Post
                        I think they might blend nicely, but the G12H will be louder than the G12M. Is the extension cab closed back? If the G12M is open back and the G12H is closed back they difference in volume would not be much.

Another combination to consider is putting a G12T75 in the extension cab. The extra bass of the G12T75 would probably be welcome in the blend, with the mids covered by the 65. Both are 97db.
                        Yes, the G12T75 would be a good option too. Moreover I really liked it in my old JCM900, years ago. BTW the extension can is open back, the combo is closed back; if that might be of help.

Inviato dal mio MotoG3 utilizzando Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Emopunk View Post
                          Yeah, that was an option on my mind too.. Perhaps something like this would be a good match?
                          A Celestion Creamback is something I'd be interested in. I would also consider a Celestion Gold.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffblue View Post
                            A Celestion Creamback is something I'd be interested in. I would also consider a Celestion Gold.
                            Jeff maybe you missed the post, but I already have G12M-65 installed in my combo. My doubt is what to couple it with in an extension cab.

Inviato dal mio MotoG3 utilizzando Tapatalk

Comment

I'd go m65 and t75.

Comment

Working...
                              X