PowerStage 700 power handling question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PowerStage 700 power handling question

Apologies in advance if this is a naive question...

How does one safely use a 700-watt unit in conventional speaker cabs? I have a 4x10 and a 2x12 cab, both rated at 120 watts -- how does the PowerStage 700 not blow the speakers? If the answer is "Keep the volume way low," would I not be better off just going with the PowerStage 170 just to be safe?

Thanks!

Steve

Re: PowerStage 700 power handling question

What resistance is the output geared for - 8 ohm, 16 ohm, etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Just answered my own question - it's 350W into 8 ohm and 700W into 4 ohms.

What impedance are your speaker cabs?

Comment

Originally posted by VinceT View Post
        Just answered my own question - it's 350W into 8 ohm and 700W into 4 ohms.

What impedance are your speaker cabs?

Hi Vince,

Both cabs are 8 ohms...which cuts the PowerStage 700 output to 350 watts, correct? Still 3x the power rating on my cabs?

Comment

Is that Mean or Peak?
          Originally posted by Brown Note
          I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
          My Blog

Comment

The 700 is a bit too much amp for what I'd use it for but I can't wait to find myself a good deal on the 170!!!

I showed my wife a email that Duncan sent me with the 170's info a week or two ago. When she saw what it was she offered to buy me one now if I agreed to sell off some of the rather large tube heads & combos sitting in my living room.

While a 170W power amp with an active E.Q. that can sit on your pedal board, works as the perfect S.S. pedal platform, & plugs into any cabinet is flipping awesome, it's still not a fair trade off!!! I figure they'll turn up on the used market sometime over the next couple years for $100-$200 less than what they are new & that's probably when I'll get one?

If I didn't already have amplifiers coming out of my ears I'd definitely drop the $400 on a new one! The demos I've seen sounded bloody fantastic!!!
            I live in Northern New Hampshire, we shoot the things we don't understand here???

Comment

Working...
            X