Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Tubes for a DSL15?

Hello,
    One of the 6V6 tubes of my DSL15H quit service today.

Now I want to and replace all three at once.

Which power tubes could I use in the amp without the need of modifying the electronics.

And what effect would this have to the sound?

thanks
    Last edited by Ursupator; 08-22-2017, 05:11 AM.

Years of owning a Gibson Guitar made me more of a luthier than a guitarist

Re: Which Tubes for a DSL15?

You always want to replace power Tubes as a set and not individually. Preamp tubes can be replaced individually.
    When you replace power tubes you should always bias the amp....always.
    I personally have no experience with 6V6 tubes as all of my amps are EL34 based so I can't comment on the tonal differences.
    A google search should help you narrow it down.

Comment

All three? There's four 12AX7s and two 6V6s.

The preamp tubes are cathode biased so they're just plug and play. Pick your favorite 12AX7 type and pop it in. Buy a bunch of different ones and try them in all positions. Just don't put Tung-Sol Reissue 12AX7s in V3 since they die in cathode follower positions (which is V3 on the DSL15H.

As far as the power tubes, you need to buy them in matched pairs and set the bias since every set of tubes is different as far as idle current requirements.
      Nope...

Comment

Originally posted by GilmourD View Post
        All three? There's four 12AX7s and two 6V6s.

The preamp tubes are cathode biased so they're just plug and play. Pick your favorite 12AX7 type and pop it in. Buy a bunch of different ones and try them in all positions. Just don't put Tung-Sol Reissue 12AX7s in V3 since they die in cathode follower positions (which is V3 on the DSL15H.

As far as the power tubes, you need to buy them in matched pairs and set the bias since every set of tubes is different as far as idle current requirements.
        Sorry, my mistake. I meant the TWO Power Tubes.

The Preamp Tubes are already replaced againt better ones

In a Forum someone wrote about using EL34 but even if you modify the amp to make them fit their heat output is much much higher.

I also heard about KT66 and that they would fit in without mods.

What character would they bring to the sound?

Comment

I would recommend the Tube Amp Doctor 6V6. These were factory installed in many DSL15s so we know it works. The DSL15 runs 425 volts on the plates so a modern 6V6 would be better than an old stock one.

I would not try to run a larger octal tube like a KT66 or an EL34, even if you can get it to bias up, and I'm pretty sure they won't fit in the head case. The heater current draw of the KT66 is 1.3 amps and for the EL34 it is 1.5 amps. This is about a full amp more per tube than the 6V6 that the amplifier was designed for. The 5881 would be the next step up from a 6V6, but it is a big step. The heater current draw is 0.9 amps and the plate dissipation is 23 watts compared to the 6V6's 14 watts. But a 6V6 already sounds close to a 5881 anyway, and a 5881 sounds fairly close to a KT66.

The JJ 6V6 is said to be closer to a 5881 as an alternative but I have no experience with it.

Biasing a DSL15 is easy, but you need to pull the chassis and follow the standard safety procedures. Connection 6A on the board has three prongs. The middle prong is the ground. The two outside prongs are for each 6V6. Using a multi meter set to voltage, set each trim pot for each 6V6 to 21 millivolts. (mv =ma because you are measuring across a 1 watt resistor.)
          Last edited by Lake Placid Blues; 08-22-2017, 08:55 AM.

Comment

So I better stick with 6V6 tubes. Thanks for the good answers

Comment

i like tungsol 6v6's for a traditional 6v6gt tone and jj 6v6 for a slightly stiffer louder tube. you should bias the amp after every power tube change and it doesnt hurt to check it after 30 days to see if there is much drift

Comment

Genalex Gold Lion 6V6GT's sound great if you can't run KT66's.

KT66 = Eric Clapton Cream (as far as how they sound)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                X