Jet City Amps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jet City Amps?

Hey! I had one of the JCA20 Combos when they came out and liked it quite a bit. Didn't really fill any needs I had, so I rolled it.

I am curious about some of their other offerings as they have expanded the line up.
    Ive seen vids and heard great feedback about some or the bigger amps.

The Custom 5 recently caught my eye. 2 12ax7s, 1 el 34 or can run a 6L6.

Anyone played one of these?? Thoughts?

What are you thoughts and experiences with other Jet City models? Including the big ones??
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Re: Jet City Amps?

They're dope. If i remember the legend it's a result of the guy who ran the factory that made the Epiphone Valve Junior and Blackheart amp lines partnering with Soldano. They're my favorite mass-produced Chinese amp by far. I don't have one but I'd get one for small shows or for the tighter gain compared to my vintage Matamps...
    Last edited by Empty Pockets; 08-26-2017, 08:34 PM.
    green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

I have a 22H and the thing is awesome; completely killed my G.A.S. for a Mini Recto. I don't play it a ton because the Jubilee is my thing, but it's my go-to when I'm feeling something a bit heavier. I also intend to use it for most if not all of the solos when I get back into recording. It has that nice, compressed feel that makes leads almost effortless. The tone isn't 100% identical to the Soldano SP-77 I used to own or all of the Soldanos I've played, but it's close. It has more gain on the lead channel or perhaps a faster taper, and the high end is a bit more bright & cutting. I generally don't care for JJ 12AX7s, but they're great in that amp.
      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
      And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

They're supposed to be based on the Soldano Hot Rod series (like the SP-77). I've never played the 50 or 100, but my 22 is very much in that ballpark.
        And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

I owned a JCA22H for a while and really liked that amp. May grab one of the new JCA22 heads in the custom series in the future.
          Was running my JCA22H here
          Guitars
          Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
          Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

For the money you almost can't buy anything better tbh. Great value. Cleans are soso on the smaller amps.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
              They're supposed to be based on the Soldano Hot Rod series (like the SP-77). I've never played the 50 or 100, but my 22 is very much in that ballpark.
              Woa, you set the od preamp that high? Might sound a bit fizzy no? I found with other tubes than JJ that you can set the preamp gain a lot lower (3 - 4), bass up higher and presence lower to tame the fizz/top end and keep things tight.
              But I generally do not like JJ tubes as pre-amp tubes. Did you try a tung sol in V1 or V2? I highly recommend it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nightburst View Post
                Woa, you set the od preamp that high? Might sound a bit fizzy no? I found with other tubes than JJ that you can set the preamp gain a lot lower (3 - 4), bass up higher and presence lower to tame the fizz/top end and keep things tight.
                But I generally do not like JJ tubes as pre-amp tubes. Did you try a tung sol in V1 or V2? I highly recommend it.
                I'm generally with you on JJ 12AX7s, but they have a dark and smooth vibe that really suits the JCA. They sound OK on the gain channel of my Jubilee, but they make the clean channel really dull and flat.

As far as gain levels, I think it really comes down to what you're after. The JCA isn't my primary amp, so I only pull it out when I want to play leads without a pedal or when I want to play some heavy rhythm stuff like AIC. For a more crunchy rhythm sound I greatly prefer my Jubilee and end up playing through that probably 80% of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
                  I'm generally with you on JJ 12AX7s, but they have a dark and smooth vibe that really suits the JCA. They sound OK on the gain channel of my Jubilee, but they make the clean channel really dull and flat.

As far as gain levels, I think it really comes down to what you're after. The JCA isn't my primary amp, so I only pull it out when I want to play leads without a pedal or when I want to play some heavy rhythm stuff like AIC. For a more crunchy rhythm sound I greatly prefer my Jubilee and end up playing through that probably 80% of the time.
                  Actually you are right, the JJ's would indeed have that effect. I'd probably use the same settings if I had kept the JJ's in the JCA. I still highly recommend the Tung sol.

Comment

Working...
                  X